How long before riding 2up?

Fastfrog007

Donating Member
Registered
A friend of mine just got his first bike, an 06 GSXR600, about 3 weeks ago. He's doin good, taking his time learning and not bein squiddy on it.
We have a benefit ride/dinner for our friend that passed away coming up on the 27th. He is considering taking a passenger along, she was a friend of Andy's. Tho I want her to be able to join in and go for the ride, I'm not sure he should be doin 2up yet.
So, how long did you wait or recommend waiting before goin 2up?
aefc24ec-0805-1c19.jpg

Droid via Tapatalk

I'm not making that call frog.

Posted with my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk.

I don't remember exactly, but I probably waited 4 to 6 months. Looking back, I was still too much of a n00b for that much responsibility. But at the time, my Marauder 800 was the fastest, most awesome thing on the road...:whistle:

Ultimately, the decision is between the rider and passenger.

Take him out into the country, or some low traffic/no traffic roads.

Make him lock up the rear several times, so he knows what that feels like.
Make him swerve past an object at the last second, so he knows what that's like. (I played a game with new riders: "dodge the pothole" on a pothole filled country road. You get about 100 swerves in a mile, perfect for learning about the bike.)

Ride on the back with him (if you're a true friend) and show him what it's like cornering, stopping, etc. with an extra 100-150lbs on the back. It changes. Make sure he knows the rules for a 2up rider. Lean with me in corners, push off tank when slowing, etc.

Honestly as a guy that has been down with a girl when I wasn't ready, I don't think 3wks is enough time. He's probably only JUST BARELY learning the physics of the bike. I went down with a girl after about three weeks of riding and luckily I just came into a grassy area too hot and we fell slowly into the grass, but I still did not know near enough about riding to have a passenger. There's no rush. He'll have the bike for years to come. I think YOU should make the decision, after training him, and giving the training time to settle in.

I only wish someone had been nice enough to do that to me, but the guy that taught me how to ride had me going WOT on the 2nd day, and hitting 100mph+ corners on the same ride. :/ Stupid. (this was 10 years ago though)

And my best piece of advice:

Some girls like to get crazy. Let's face it. But for God's sake, make sure before you get crazy, make sure that:

1. She's ready, holding on.
  2. It's a STRAIGHT ass line.
  3. You know the EXACT road before you start getting loose. Where it bends, where it ends, where the grooves are, where the cops may be, etc.

Here you need to have your License for 12 months before you can carry a pillion.

Our lobbying groups would probably never go for it here in the states, but it sounds like a decent rule of thumb at least.

"By God, if I wanna get out and kill the ol' lady, it's between me, her, and the pavement!" Something like that...

No matter how long you've been riding, the first few times of having a passenger on there is learning experience. And a new rider mixed with a new passenger could be a real problem.
I'd say wait a little while on the 2 up idea.

I was taking passengers a week or two after I started riding and never had any trouble whatsoever. I would not put a passenger who has never been a bike onto a bike with a new rider though. If they mess around they could throw a new rider off and he wouldn't know how to deal with it...

It's all in how fast someone picks up riding. Cant judge based on time really. Theres this guy with a busa at the AMOS right now. Claims he has had his busa since 01 and rides like ass. has stalled the bike from a start double digit times. Revs it like hes new to riding. Cant shift worth a damn. Cant turn the bike at all and blames the bike. He just sucks and I would never put someone on his bike and he claims hes been riding for 10 years nearly.

A quick comment before I`m off to work; make sure the passenger understands she waits to get on or off the bike when the pilot says ok.

As odd as this might sound get your buddies to ride wiht you for the first time. Worst thing you can do is take a chick out for a ride for hte first time and bail or struggle.

Usually works if you have a buddy that owes you one or if you have a case of beer lying around.:thumbsup:

I don't know that it's based on time.

Exactly, only the rider should answer this question HONESTLY. He is the one ultimately responsible for the passenger’s safety. New bike, new rider???. Me personally, I wouldn't and I sure as hell wouldn’t get on as a passenger knowing the limited amount of experience the rider has.

Tha would be a personal call on the rider. I would hope he is comfortable with himself and the bike to carry a passenger.
I would also hope he is smart enough to make her wear ALL THE PROPER SAFETY GEAR!!!!!!

Ya know...if the rider himself is wonder whether or not he should do it....it seems like you already have your answer. HELL NO!

honestly i cannot remember how long it had been before i took a passenger..but then i had been rideing since i was a kid...so once i got my street bike in college...it probably was quite a while before i had a passenger...i exactly wasnt the ladys man back then...or...now come to think of it...uhhh but anyway lol

Small side note, but hearin about the guy from RusselJ that has been "riding for 10 years", I gotta ask, do you all think that the question should be about how long someone has been riding, or more about how many miles/hours? Seems like there's people who've been riding for years and years, but only put in a couple hundred miles a year, leaving them relative newbies even 10 years down the road. They might even be worse off than a guy who's only had a bike for two months but has put in the same number of miles/hours, just because they've had so much time between to forget. Opinions?

Look at it this way... Someone who has been riding for 10 years may be a great rider, or he may have no skill and just suck. Maybe he has just gotten lucky for 10 years and never really needed to be skilled.

Someone who has been riding for 2 weeks... Well, they've been riding for two weeks. There is no way that person has developed enough skill within such a small amount experience to be responsible for the life of a passenger. At this point he is enough of a danger to himself alone. Carrying a passenger would show a complete lack of regard for the safety of that person.

Sorry if I come across too strong on this but understand that I have the thought of my precious young daughter in the back of my mind.

Here goes...

The short answer...
Assuming that he is the type that should be on a motorcycle to begin with, he should have at least a few seasons and a lot of miles under his belt before taking on passengers. Even then, his first ride with a passenger should not be with a pack of motorcyclists.

The bigger picture...
It's OUR job to protect our significant others. They tend to put their trust in us, sometimes blindly. Putting them at a high level of risk is not only irresponsible, it's downright ungentlemanly. IMO, if a rider with 3 weeks experience makes the decision to take his girlfriend on his bike, he has already proven that he doesn't have the ability to make good decisions on HER behalf. If he can't make good decisions on her behalf off the bike, what are the chances that he'll make good decisions, on her behalf, while they are on the bike.

In reality, it's his girlfriend that is taking the risk. He owes it to her to be honest about the true level of risk, especially at his level of experience, and what COULD happen. If he educates her, honestly, she will most likely pass.

If she's young, i.e. minor, he especially doesn't have the right right to put HER at that level of risk. He should explain to her, as well as her father, the true level of risk involved. That way, THEY can assess the risk that SHE is taking, as well as the impact that it could have on HER life, and make the best decision.

Last edited:
Back