How does Nitrous work?

ex-skydiver

Registered
I am having a bit of a discussion with a guy I work with. He seems to have the market on hot air(BS to some) just about cornered and he insists that it is just the expansion of the Nitrous that cools the incoming charge somewhat like the intercooler on a diesel tubocharger and the Nitrous doesn't affect the combustion process because it is almost inert.
My contention is that the Nitrous in the combustion chamber breaks down into Nitrous and Oxygen. The extra Nitrogen doesn't do anything but the extra Oxygen combines with the hydrocarbons in the fuel and this is why the mixture must be richened up to accomodate the Nitrous. Chemically, this is referred to as a displacement reaction as the Nitrogen is displaced by the Hydrogen and the Carbon atoms in the fuel. My "expert" friend claims that the combustion chamber temperature is too low to cause this reaction or it would take too long for it to happen or both. If what he is telling us is true then you could use Helium or Argon (both inert gasses, readily available and probably cheaper, from our local welding suppliers)under pressure to do the same thing. I am sure we all would have heard of people spraying their bikes with either of those.
Feel free to jump in on this one and help me put Mr. Knows-a-lotto straight.

When the nitrous (liquid) is compressed in the combustion chamber,extra oxygen is released .HP is created when you add extra fuel with the oxygen.:)

So this is why an engine can be damaged by not richening the mixture? The engine runs so lean that the heat produced causes melting of parts.

Ex,your right you need the right balance of the two,too much gas will cause detenation and cause them to eat from the inside out also vs too lean causing melting..

The nitrous contains oxygen....the extra fuel is where the increase in power comes from, you need the nitrous to burn the added fuel
wink.gif

NO2 works in several ways to develop HP:
1 - Nitrous is extremely cold when changing from it's liquid form to a gas. This drops the air temperature entering the intake which makes for a denser charge and more power, while also reducing the likely hood of pre-ignition from elevated cylinder pressures.
2- Nitrous is around 70% oxygen by weight and as it converts from a liquid to a gas the O2 is released, which in conjunction with some added fuel is like throwing on a second carb.
3 - The nitrous itself acts like a buffer to pretect to the cylinders.
4 - The only difference between the nitrous you get at the go fast shop and the dentist is Sulfer. Sulfer is added to the non surgical use NO2 to prevent it from being abused. Sulfer burns when inhaled.
smile.gif

<!--EDIT|justintime2
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134027736 -->

Nitrous is 2 part nitrogen and 1 part oxygen. The Added oxygen it's obvious how this helps make more power. The nitrogen does not support cumbustion, The nitrogen coats your pistons, valves and cylinder head helping to create smooth even flame propogation thru the cylinder and across the top of the piston, as well letting the "BURN" last longer Even at high RPM's you getting a smoother longer burn from the Fuel/Air mix. The longer it burns the power you get.

Back