how do you remove stickers from gastank???

PJ267

Registered
Bought new Busa, how do I remove the two safety/warning stickers on the gastank without scratching the gastank?
rock.gif
?

There are quite a few threads on this that offer some great input (search function rocks)...my only input is hold on for the pain 'cause it sux!

hairdryers work, just be sure not to let it sit in one location for too long.

If they're not under the clearcoat all you need is a plastic knife, popsicle stick or fingernail and a hair dryer. As it heats up, move it slightly with your 'tool' and it comes right off. WD40 or Plexus takes the glue goo off as well. Just polish afterwards.

lurk.gif
still waiting for the "easy" way
I've never removed a factory sticker from any bike I've ever owned. One time I removed a bunch of advertising type stickers off a bike I bought tho.....they came off wuth a hair dryer np...didn't leave ANY residue at all. From what I've read the factory stickers can be a pain....and guys have scratched up the paint removing them
wowold.gif
Just be careful
winkold.gif

lurk.gif
still waiting for the "easy" way
I've never removed a factory sticker from any bike I've ever owned. One time I removed a bunch of advertising type stickers off a bike I bought tho.....they came off wuth a hair dryer np...didn't leave ANY residue at all. From what I've read the factory stickers can be a pain....and guys have scratched up the paint removing them
wowold.gif
Just be careful
winkold.gif
I can say with some conviction that the factory sticker on the Busa fuel tank is nothing like any decal I have ever removed... took me a good 45 minutes to get rid of that little sucker... it came apart and left tons of goo behind...

I have the EASY answer to this --available through your local autobody supply store.The tool is called a stripe eraser made by astro pneumatic tool co.I have been using these for many years to remove stripes,vinyl graphics,and yes the pesky POS gas tank stickers.I do it for bikes all the time at our shop,You can always tell where guys have been "picking at them " around the edges.I can remove the sticker perfectly in less than 1 minute!!heres a pic

32.gif

hot high pressure water, the tech doing the set up, took care of the unwanted decals, took more off at home with hairdryer. Some are easy, some stubborn. Frame decals were not easy. I used a plastic razor blade with some heat. left over glue - WD-40 if you don't have glue removal product. Polish will also take off remaining glue.
Just don't get in a hurry, I have seen paint come with the decal. Don't do it without some heat.

If you are careful you could use a hair dryer and warm up the sticker and pick at the edges and work at it that way.  Once you have the majority of it off you could use something like the Honda Polish to remove the sticky residue.

I haven't found an easy way to do it.  I did have a great deal of success with the affore mentioned method.

You could also do a search on this site and see previous threads that may have other ideas.

Good luck,  have a lot of patience and take your time.

Nanwags

Hair dryer and some patience. It also helps to pull the decal back onto itself instead of pulling it upwards. This can prevent so much tearing of the decal itself. My M109 had the same decals and they came off with no problem. Haven't gotten to the Busa ones yet.

after I took mine off the gas tank I didn't even think about trying to get the ones off my frame. I couldn't even get a corner up on those suckers !! I think I'll try using some heat ??

I have the EASY answer to this --available through your local autobody supply store.The tool is called a stripe eraser made by astro pneumatic tool co.I have been using these for many years to remove stripes,vinyl graphics,and yes the pesky POS gas tank stickers.I do it for bikes all the time at our shop,You can always tell where guys have been "picking at them " around the edges.I can remove the sticker perfectly in less than 1 minute!!heres a pic
Steve you are the man! Bought one of these tools from DJV Merchandise and all I can say is WOW..

Thirty seconds of effortless effort and wallah, presto tank decal gone! No marks, no picking, no scratches and it couldn't be easier.... Finished Two bikes in less than two minutes!
clap.gif

Back