How do you know when have engine knock?

voodoolord

Registered
I was reading some info about octane and hp last night and thought I'd try to run the busa on 89 for a tank. The 89 here has ethanol and the 91 I usually use does not but is $1 more per gal. The bike seemed a little more growley after the 89 and I was wondering of you can hear engine knock from lower octane.

Yes you will here the pinging.

Why on earth would you run 89 in your bike that specifically states in the owners manual to use nothing less than 91 octane?

???

I haven't heard any pinging. Its a NA motor and I wanted to see if it made a difference. Im sure it wont hurt it.

If its the good stuff I need I can fill up at the airport up the road with 105. Is that going to make a difference over 92?

I just think it's a good idea to follow the manufacturers recommendations to try and get the longest life and least amount of headaches from the ride :) :thumbsup:

I put regular in my Gen 1 works fine :thumbsup:

If its the good stuff I need I can fill up at the airport up the road with 105. Is that going to make a difference over 92?

No. You will not gain anything using over the minimum recommended octain. It's your engine. If you want to run cheep gas go for it. Just don't start bashing Suzuki and the Busa when things start going bad.

i bet this thread starts the great gas debate again! I use 89 "sometimes". I think we all know that you "can" make good hp with less than premium at the pump, but you do risk the pinging problem. Do it at your own risk is all there is too it. I only use some for the track, I hear everyone say its ok for high rpm stuff, not for cruising though! :D Again, what I "hear" :rulez:

Im not trying to start a debate lol. And I was not planning on running it with 89 I just wanted to see what kind of difference it made. As far as cheap gas its not about cheap, I have no issues with the price of premium. I was just curious.

And another problem is the ethanol..when it evaporates it eats alot of stuff..especially the inside lining of that gas tank..i know my tank is at the shop right now being fixed..alot of companies are making different fuel hoses because the new chemicals there putting in the gas are eating them up..now i dont know if thats mainly the ethanol or what..

I was reading some info about octane and hp last night and thought I'd try to run the busa on 89 for a tank. The 89 here has ethanol and the 91 I usually use does not but is $1 more per gal. The bike seemed a little more growley after the 89 and I was wondering of you can hear engine knock from lower octane.

Say "Who's There" if it answers you have knock knock. Or a screw loose:laugh:

Back