how do i get the start switch housing open?

rockethead

Registered
im swapping my grips and i cant get the housing off on the throttle side.. what I bought is a one piece deal so I need to get to the throttle cables. i took out the two screws on the bottom but dont want to pry it apart and break something. any ideas?

there are three screws lol i figured it out. cant get the cables off now. how do i get enough slack in em to get em off?

there are three screws lol i figured it out. cant get the cables off now. how do i get enough slack in em to get em off?

THAT WAS IT!!:lol:

I know i just messed around with it for awhile and figured something out, maybe the adjusters further down the cable? Turn them to get some slack? I really wish i could my memory was more than 2 weeks long....

well i got the oem throttle tube off ( broke it ) didn't mean to tho. so i got the new one on and it doesn't snap back when i blip the throttle. the handle bar on that side is bend a bit. not much but do you think its enough to make the tube drag in the housing?

was the old one gettin hung up too? If so, then yep. Id take it apart and be sure its all lined up correctly. Maybe a squirt of WD40 or cable lube is needed.

the origional one worked fine. its not bent where the tube would touch anyway so idk... i have it back apart now trying to figure it out. i'll try the wd40,

thats all I can think of without bein there to play with it. check the cable tension down the line also. I believe its a "Push-pull" setup. Not enough tension on one and/or to little on the other will give ya issues.

that didn't work. it seems like there isn't any tension on the cable that should be snapping the throttle shut. when i first put it on and buttoned everything up, started it up and it revved up round 8K so i shut er down and twisted the adjustment right there at the throttle and got it where it needs to me, but just seems scary that i can open it WOT and it stay there:poke: not cool at all. gotta figure it out.

Yeah, thats not gonna work at all. Thats all I got for ya, Im sure some other guys will read this tomorrow and help ya out.

If you back off the adjusters and then take the cables off the butterfly part at the throttle bodies...then you can get the switch housing apart. when you split the halves of the switch housing I believe you can lift the grip out...did you new grips come with plastic cams? that the throttle cables seat into...a different ratio?

its one piece and they have same ratio, i checked before i put it on. lines up with the stock one. when i take the top part off the switch housing throttle tube still seems like its sticking or rubbing on the bottom half of the housing... im stumped.. i didn't mess with anything major that would warrant this much trouble:laugh: so much for an easy job... and i broke the tab off the oem throttle tube so i can't put it back to normal to troubleshoot anything:banghead:

Back