how do i drop about 100 pounds off

Dont take this the wrong way, but it sounds like you need to work on balance. I have an 05 and she does not feel heavy all, unless like said above, I am stopped or backing up. If you want to drop weight to make it faster, you will spend more than what the bike costs as Professor stated. If you want more speed, spend money on mods that will do that. Your bike should be faster than an R1 any day of the week. It boils down to the rider and technique.

50 lbs can be done. Full TI system. Lighter wheels. Gen 1 aluminum subframe.

Thanks.. I think I mentioned that I get parts at cost or less.. brocks included l.. I work at a well known website that I won't mention here which sells aftermarket and oem parts.. its all covered... for example I just got a 600$ icon helmet for considerably less than 50%.. price of mods really doesn't bother me.... but. As far as the other comments I've put about 1000 miles on the bike since I've had it but this is my first crotch rocket.. prior to this I've had 60s cafe racers.. I still have my 69 suzuki t500.. it weighs about 380 and has a much shorter wheelbase... it does however have a similar riding posture.. my balance is good on the bike but I'm definitely not a pro / track rider.. I've seen 0000 lap time... maybe id benefit from a few track days.. what I mean though is that low speeds especially 2up feels squirelly at times.. I think part of that is due to the throttle response. It takes a very steady wrist with exacting motion rolling on the throttle and using the clutch in slow tight 90 degree turns where I don't want to plow into a car at a stop light... I can toss it around n get my knee down and have no problems at higher speeds though... I feel safer at 80 than I do at 20... also turning around in parking lots with gravel etc is cumbersom and kinda scary because of the weight.. feet slip etc.. not to mention the prospect of dropping it... yah that chocks up to experience on that bike... either way though would like to make it lighter... and yah in truth my bike is hella faster than an r1.. my friend has 1 that is an equal match though.. but I forget that he's modded it
Posted via Mobile Device

cut off your left leg, but you being 175 I would think your in pretty good shape already. brocks full exhaust lost me almost 40 lbs and picked up some great horses

I just shipped a brock's street meg full sys. and it was 15.7 lbs. boxed up with alot of bubble wrap. I'am sure the short meg weigh's close to nothing.

I'd guess you are having trouble balancing the bike at slow speeds, and that is causing you to make an extra effort, which in turn tires you. Shaving 100 lb won't help you. Just try relaxing more, it will be easier to balance.

To each, his own.

To OP: To find true happiness, you may have to downgrade to a litre bike to get where you want to be.

CW

I don't see how you think that going down to a litre bike would be a downgrade? In power and comfort..yes. But the litre bikes have handling, flickability, and agility. I'm quite happy with my 09 Busa, but if it weren't for my bad back I would have that BMW S1000RR in my garage instead, which by the way has almost as much power as our beloved Busa.....Like you said, to each his own.

cost no object I know of a CF frame and subframe that might be available.

Like everyone already mentioned the big gains are:
swap to a Ti full exhaust with a shorty can like Brock's meg
swap the steel subframe for aluminum
swap battery to a LiFePo
swap body work for CF street body work
swap to a CF tank
swap wheels
swap forks and triple to a 1k
swap swing arm

those are all the big heavy items.

Sounds like you need to CHECK YOUR TIRE PRESSURE....that's the only thing that is going to make your bike feel that bad at slow speeds. Otherwise, something else is wrong or you need to hit the gym some more... :laugh:

best thing I did was go to an open parking lot and practice practice practice till you can scrape plastics leaning little faster than idle.. slolom left to right till you can U turn in the same lane... (plus its a fun thing to show off lol). helps HUGE being able to do the slow speed n/p and use that weight to your advantage :)
she's a big bike but practicing the slow speed stuff and learning the bike is #1 before modding IMO

wow that was quick....

well i am 5'11 about 175 pounds on average, strong enough to pick the bike up if it falls over, (i do work out..) but it's a chore to ride it at low speeds ... like.. around a neighborhood etc.. it handles best at speeds +40mph... the first week or so i rode this bike to and from work, every muscle in my body was sore, now i'm used to it, but it's still a chore and not as pleasureable as i would like.. killing some weight would help.. that and.. it's a busa... it should be fast. an r1 is faster than my bike right now.. lol

as for mods, i have a tsukigi cat back system on it... i don't know how much weight if any they reduced.. but i didn't buy them, they came on the bike.

as for rims, i can see how that would reduce the weight quite a bit, but i think the majority of the problems i'm having is the body itself...

i just submitted another thread asking about exhaust systems...

the PLUS side is that, i can get anything and everything i want motorcycle related for cost or lower... so coin isn't a big deal... in fact sometimes i get free stuff, it just depends how much business we do with those vendors.. D&D loves me and i'm sure i can get a full system from them for pretty cheap... Akrapovic likes us too... i dunno.. i'll leave the exhaust talk for the other thread i posted though...

You shouldn't be feeling the weight. The bike should carry it's own weight, I think the other poster is right maybe more practice. You should only need to bear weight in the upright position.

If your street riding removing the exhaust to a lighter exhaust and maybe a fender eliminator kit and to shed some weight but if it's for the track then being lighter is another issue.

It would be a good investment if you planned on drag racing or throwing that thing around some corners but for just slow speed stuff I would bet it is more of a rider problem.

Good Luck!

Gary

Back