how do i drop about 100 pounds off

mitchberry

Registered
How can i drop about 100 pounds off of my busa? or even 50? i love the bike, but it's heavy as hell.. yeah.. i know that's part of buying the bike, but i know people are able to trim weight without sacrificing structural integrity.

how?

replace the stock cans for starters (i think they weigh close to 40 lbs). then if you have the coin to burn, get aftermarket rims.
P.S. Do not take this the wrong way but are you at your ideal body weight?

Last edited:
What year bike? Exhaust is the biggest savings on both generations but much more so on Gen II bikes.
Wheels, but mega bucks for small gains. On gen 1 bikes you can drop 7 pounds with an aluminum sub frame.
Likely the best place is from the rider. At least it is in my case.

What year bike? Exhaust is the biggest savings on both generations but much more so on Gen II bikes.
Wheels, but mega bucks for small gains. On gen 1 bikes you can drop 7 pounds with an aluminum sub frame.
Likely the best place is from the rider. At least it is in my case.

Grilled Chicken not Fried :laugh:

wow that was quick....

well i am 5'11 about 175 pounds on average, strong enough to pick the bike up if it falls over, (i do work out..) but it's a chore to ride it at low speeds ... like.. around a neighborhood etc.. it handles best at speeds +40mph... the first week or so i rode this bike to and from work, every muscle in my body was sore, now i'm used to it, but it's still a chore and not as pleasureable as i would like.. killing some weight would help.. that and.. it's a busa... it should be fast. an r1 is faster than my bike right now.. lol

as for mods, i have a tsukigi cat back system on it... i don't know how much weight if any they reduced.. but i didn't buy them, they came on the bike.

as for rims, i can see how that would reduce the weight quite a bit, but i think the majority of the problems i'm having is the body itself...

i just submitted another thread asking about exhaust systems...

the PLUS side is that, i can get anything and everything i want motorcycle related for cost or lower... so coin isn't a big deal... in fact sometimes i get free stuff, it just depends how much business we do with those vendors.. D&D loves me and i'm sure i can get a full system from them for pretty cheap... Akrapovic likes us too... i dunno.. i'll leave the exhaust talk for the other thread i posted though...

If u want a bike thats 100lbs lighter, get a 1000cc machine!???

Bike should not feel heavy underway. I only feel its weight when backing or at a stop.

Last edited:
cut off your left leg, but you being 175 I would think your in pretty good shape already. brocks full exhaust lost me almost 40 lbs and picked up some great horses

From you other thread, it looks like you have an 06. It also sounds like you have slip on mufflers which are not going to save much weight at all. Going to a single can full exhaust system will save a bit but the bike will have to be tuned.

You really need to put some time on the bike to get used to the weight. It will never be a 600/1000cc style bike. There are some carbon body kits but the good ones are very expensive and you won't save enough as much weight as running the tank with 2 gallons of fuel. (saves 21 lbs off the top).

Getting rid of 75lbs will likely cost as much as the bike did.

single sided titanium ct meg from brocks, aluminum subby, cf rims, go on a diet. carbon fiber tank and bodywork, drag seat and cowl combo, remove the headlight and replace the upper fairing with a cf piece with no headlight cutout.

To each, his own.

My other bike is a Honda VTX, and my 'Busa feels like an absolute featherweight by comparison. Weight is relative, I suppose.

To OP: To find true happiness, you may have to downgrade to a litre bike to get where you want to be.

CW

i just came from a tl1000r so the busa feels just fine for me. it is actually a few pounds heavier than the tiller(bout 50) but i think the weight is down lower in the chassis than the tl was making it actually feel lighter to me. busas are fat girls, and yes they could sure shed a few pounds(can't we all) but to me it beats the hell outta riding an r1 anyday. shave some weight where you can and start hitting the gym a little bit more.

Back