How did I miss this ???

Rayabusa0818

Never Forgotten
I must have been absorbed with Christmas I guess, my oldest was home from the Coast Guard and I spent the 22nd hanging out with him and his wifey.

Economic reasons are cited here, but Ron at tailofthedragon.com is placing the blame on the attitude of the Tennessee Highway Patrol toward motorcycle riders and the focused speed limit enforcement on the Dragon...

2009 Honda Hoot cancelled

Ouch...quarter of a million tourist dollars...someone will notice that.

Ouch...quarter of a million tourist dollars...someone will notice that.

I'am sure the Government Agencys will find another reason to blame the LOSS of Tax and Local Income. They are always so insightful with information about why it's NOT MY FAULT :laugh:

So the Tennessee Highway Patrol is to blame for the Economy and Honda pulling out ?

So the Tennessee Highway Patrol is to blame for the Economy and Honda pulling out ?

I have seen as many as twenty THP cars in an eleven mile stretch on the Dragon on a weekend day in June :(

They are always driving safely too :poke:

WrongLane_plates.jpg

Why so many THP's

U.S. 129 "Deals Gap" Enforcement Initiative Reduces Crashes 53%

THP, GHSO & BLOUNT COUNTY OPERATION SAVES LIVES

November 9, 2007

Nashville, Tennessee ---A three month special enforcement initiative, funded through the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, reduced crashes by 53 percent on a deadly stretch of highway in Blount County known as “Deals Gap.â€

“This is a clear example that rigorous enforcement programs are effective measures in reducing crashes and saving lives,†said Department of Safety Commissioner Dave Mitchell.

The Tennessee Highway Patrol initiated the enforcement program on the 11 mile stretch of U.S. 129, also known as “the Dragon,†from July through September. The coordinated and combined efforts of Tennessee law enforcement agencies successfully reduced crashes and the level of risk to tourists traveling in the area. The stretch of highway contains 318 curves and has become a popular attraction for motorcyclists to test their skills and “slay the dragon.â€

“Since I became Director of the Governor’s Highway Safety Office, I have heard over and over that something has to be done about the chaos that has ensued in that particular stretch of road,†said GHSO Director Kendell Poole. “Through GHSO funding, the Tennessee Highway Patrol and its partners, caused a significant decrease in bodily injury crashes during the enforcement period in 2007.â€

During the Deals Gap/Blount County Enforcement Initiative, four Troopers were scheduled to work overtime on Friday, Saturday and Sunday to monitor, provide visibility, and enhance enforcement for the area. In addition to a fifty-three percent (53%) decrease in crashes on “the Dragon,†overall calls for UT Lifestar helicopter (air medical transport) to transport riders to the UT Trauma Center in Knoxville were reduced by 99 percent during the overtime period.

“The Tennessee Highway Patrol applauds the Governor’s Highway Safety Office for providing the grant money to enable THP to step up enforcement and deter dangerous activity in “Deals Gap,†said THP Colonel Mike Walker.

418 citations were issued during the overtime enforcement period, including 87 speeding citations and 13 citations for improper passing. Troopers also conducted seven (Level 1 to Level 3) commercial vehicle inspections and assisted 40 motorists during the months of July through September.
The Tennessee Department of Safety (Tennessee Department of Safety) is responsible for ensuring the safety and general welfare of the traveling public. The department’s general areas of responsibility encompass law enforcement, safety education and motorist services, including the issuance of driver licenses. The department and its highly trained staff of Troopers are responsible for safety on more than 15,000 miles of state and federal highways.

So is Honda pulling out because of what Ron at tailofthedragon.com thinks or the Economy?

So is Honda pulling out because of what Ron at tailofthedragon.com thinks or the Economy?

I would go with the economy, but who knows. Ron lives there and owns a business there and has personally experienced the effects of the stepped up enforcement on his business.

I think Ron (who has probably been to the Dragon a bizillion times) thinks that along with current economic conditions the over bearing presence of the THP makes the Dragon an unattractive place to hold an event anymore.

I must have missed something, no where did Honda state they were no having the Hoot because of THP.

They are too freakin cheap is the reason. Screw Honda, I hope they lose even more $$

Japs still don't get it.

Maybe the squids will go somewhere else and make it safer for the rest of us.

I have seen as many as twenty THP cars in an eleven mile stretch on the Dragon on a weekend day in June :(

They are always driving safely too :poke:

:rofl: Big deal I see over 20 troopers doing speed traps an any given hot spot on our local highway. They go where the action is it's not an shouldn't be a surprise or shock to anyone...:rofl:

I do remember seeing somewhere that the states want bail out money too... 1.3 trillion.....I can say **** you . You states want every one living in a shell,... turning away millions in revenue for you local economy then you want a handout of from the same people you are messing with.

Back