Hot start problems

DesertSlasher

Registered
Hey guys, I have a 2003 Hayabusa, the original owner I got it from has had a hot start problem since He first bought it from the show room floor. I’ve been through everything people have mentioned in the threads to try to correct it with an upgraded 230 cold cranking amp battery. I think it was the yz14 S. The bike idles like it has been Cammed, he knows that it was supposed to be the shop bike so it might have had a couple things done to it but the problems with this are so common that I wouldn’t consider that a problem. The original owner told me he has never had any luck below 375 cold cranking amps. I’m tired of pop starting it, where I live in Southern California we have a lot of snow right now so I’m not riding anyway, I just need to be pointed in the correct direction to get a battery that will fit it, even if I have to modify the underside of the seat I don’t care, I just need to know where to get a hefty battery without looking too hard or getting the wrong one. When I first got the bike a few months ago I contacted fast by gast, gave them my card information to purchase the battery and have it shipped, and thought everything was good. Contacted them a week and a half later and the guy said they never shipped it because they didn’t have it in stock. Is there someplace I can just order the right one with that amount of cold cranking amp’s right now? Maybe somebody can help me with a link or something, I’m ready to just buy it. I’ve been through all the starter clutch, relay etc. on and on. Looking forward to some responses. Thank you guys.

I'd check into a Shorai with the specs you are looking for. The dimensions of the battery case should be available too. If you get one as big as the stock battery, it will be lighter and still have higher CCA. The Shorai I now have for my other bike was installed in 2012. I keep it on a Shorai charger during storage and it's still kicking although it hasn't held a charge like it did when new for the last 6 years. Over a week without running and it needs a charge.

I'd check into a Shorai with the specs you are looking for. The dimensions of the battery case should be available too. If you get one as big as the stock battery, it will be lighter and still have higher CCA. The Shorai I now have for my other bike was installed in 2012. I keep it on a Shorai charger during storage and it's still kicking although it hasn't held a charge like it did when new for the last 6 years. Over a week without running and it needs a charge.
I’ve heard of Shorai before. I will look into it. Thank you

Sure. There are other lightweight batteries but Shorai was about the first one to be marketted to the motorcycle owner and as far as I know, they are about the most reliable and safe. I still am reading posts from not too long ago where someone had a lightweight battery catch on fire. Shorai even had a few fire problems when they first came out in 2012 but it seems as though that was solved right away. By now, Shorai is tried and true. If I were to use a different lightweight battery it would only be if it was lighter and I doubt very much I would trust anything that was brand new on the market in my bikes. I would definitely do some in-depth homework before buying something other than Shorai.

Back