Horsepower question

kennym4

Registered
Was talking to a guy today, and he told me the 08 zx-10 had 196 hp, at the rear wheel, is that true ?

1 more question.....how reliable is the 1397 ? Is it close to stock, or no ?

Yep, measured at the brochure, and printed on the cover of sport rider....

cheers
ken

1397's are very streetable. Just make sure to get the right setup.

Was talking to a guy today, and he told me the 08 zx-10 had 196 hp, at the rear wheel, is that true ?
i had my bike dynoed yesterday and there was a guy with a 08 busa that made 176 hp so i seriously doubt that a 10 would make 196 without major mods.

I'm very gualable (sp?) If someone tells me something about thier bike, I usually just believe it. I just don't understand why someone would lie about thier bike ? There's always a faster bike out there........I just don't get it ??

The ZX10 has 196 hp at the crank. By the time you subract 10% for driveline loss that would be 176hp at the rear wheel. That is about right.

I thought it was going to get deep in here for a second. Careful not to step in the bullsh!t that magazine bench racers drop...
lol1.gif

The ZX10 has 196 hp at the crank. By the time you subract 10% for driveline loss that would be 176hp at the rear wheel. That is about right.
That's like at 10,000 rpm. 99-07 Busas make around 140rwhp at 6-8k rmp (correct me if I'm wrong). How much time do you spend at 10,000 rpm on the street? For most of us, the Busa's power is much more useable.

I'm pretty sure that the zx-10 wond't go 190mph+, too.

Basic rule of thumb, if a printed number seems high it's because they measured at the engine (bhp). There isn't going to be a single release of a bike that is leaps and bounds more powerful than any of it's competition.

1397's have huge variations on the build specs. Could be from 190-225rwhp depending on what all was done.

all i know is dont race a busa with a 10. i have a buddy that talked major "S" about his 10, because my plate says "saybye"
he wanted to talk smack to the tune of, "you think that plate means something?"

i say "yeah it means a lot when i gas this bit**"

he says "lets see"

im "o.k. i'll give you the hit and 2 bikes"

after 2nd gear he lets off (i guess)

him "damn i guess that does mean something"

me "have you never seen a busa before?"

him "lets get in some twisties!!"

me "uh, uh, uh..."

busa_pics_012.jpg

all i know is dont race a busa with a 10. i have a buddy that talked major "S" about his 10, because my plate says "saybye"
he wanted to talk smack to the tune of, "you think that plate means something?"

i say "yeah it means a lot when i gas this bit**"

he says "lets see"

im "o.k. i'll give you the hit and 2 bikes"

after 2nd gear he lets off (i guess)

him "damn i guess that does mean something"

me "have you never seen a busa before?"

him "lets get in some twisties!!"

me "uh, uh, uh..."

busa_pics_011.jpg

Even IF it had 196 at the tire it still wouldn't be capable of the Busa's top speed. Its just not aerodynamic enough. Somebody correct me if im wrong.

HP numbers are great if they are usable. I love my turbo Busa because I have the power where I can use it. It handles quie well in the twisties as well. I do have to confess that for somone with my limited skill set my Ducati 999 (which for your number fans is a relatively low horse power bike) let me get away with more in the twists.

Peak hp is a different thing than a broad usable torque curve.. You can make a motor create 400hp and unable to get out of its own way due to a peaky curve.. just do not get where they can keep in that range
smile.gif

Back