Honda Ridgeline to carry a busa in back??

redkat05

Dear spring....... HURRY!
Donating Member
Registered
With a wheel base of 58.5" and the Ridgeline havin only a 5ft bed, would it be safe to haul it in back since it'll be restin on the tailgate a bit?
Posted via Mobile Device

well, according to Honda's website:
The 300-lb. dynamic-load capacity can safely support the weight of most large loads such as motorcycles and ATVs.

if you are nervous about the cables holding then put something like a thick sheet of marine plywood on the bottom to help dissipate some of the weight. they (Honda) will have a safety factor figured into the "300-lb" remark so it will probably be much higher (450-lb if a 1.5 SF).

an easy way to test it is to get some beer, invite over some of your "larger" buddies, and then have them sit on the tailgate for a pic.

just make sure there is no bouncing. cables are great for steady/gradual pulling but not meant to be "rubberbanded"/snatched.

just measured it & from the very front of the bed to the edge its 60". So how much should I figure to offset from the front for a chock?
Posted via Mobile Device

well depending on which HF chock you get, it could be as little as 1" the $39 one can be fastened to a plywood sheet and run the full length of the bed (will provide support on tailgate too (support not really needed I suppose but sure wont hurt)

With a wheel base of 58.5" and the Ridgeline havin only a 5ft bed, would it be safe to haul it in back since it'll be restin on the tailgate a bit?
Posted via Mobile Device

Totally works, bro...I had my 06LE in the back of my '07 Ridgeline. Worked like a champ.
:beerchug:

I'll see if I can find a pic for you...

SWEET! Did u have front in a chock?
Posted via Mobile Device

i see it done all the time, but I don't know first hand if the tailgate can take it. Only one way to find out.

My Busa almost touched the tailgate, no big deal. Is the ridgeline smaller?

Overall.jpg

well depending on which HF chock you get, it could be as little as 1" the $39 one can be fastened to a plywood sheet and run the full length of the bed (will provide support on tailgate too (support not really needed I suppose but sure wont hurt)

Great Idea!, mine is the $39.00 Harbor Freight Chock

Ridgeline has a 5ft bed so with a chock it'll be on the tailgate. Scar said he had HIS 06 in his 07 Ridge but still waitin to see if he can find pics
Posted via Mobile Device

SWEET! Did u have front in a chock?
Posted via Mobile Device

Yep, sure did...but the pix must be on my tower at home. I thought I could find them among those on my work computer, but...I guess it'll be after I get home to send them to you.

I did however, come across some pix which caused me to have to put the bike in the Ridgeline bed...

So, I've decided to launch a different thread with those pix. Let me know if you still want to see the ones I have...

Yeah I'd still like to see em. where did u post your thread
Posted via Mobile Device

Just be careful, the ridgeline's bed is plastic so for occassional use its probably good but if you are going to use it a fair amount, I'd recommend something else or at least maybe a sheet of plywood to help offset the load ???

well theres an outside chance i'll have my F150 by then but i'm not countin on it. So this is my most viable option right now
Posted via Mobile Device

Just be careful, the ridgeline's bed is plastic so for occassional use its probably good but if you are going to use it a fair amount, I'd recommend something else or at least maybe a sheet of plywood to help offset the load ???

plastic? where did you get that info. it is made of steele- reinforced composite material which is stronger and lighter than steel. throw a big heavy rock on it and it won't dent.:thumbsup:
i work for honda dealer and couple people at work have them and they put 2dirtbike 4wheeler and street bike weigh over 700 pounds and no problem, just put the tail down strap the bike good and you have no problem.

the nice thing about ridgelne is than you don't have wheelwells like regular trucks so you have a little over 4 foot width too.

Cheap azz chock bolted to plywood, works great.

Webshots.com Links Do Not Work

cheers
ken

My 05 fit in my Ford Ranger w/ the tail gate down (6' bed w/ and additional 16" w/ the tail gate down). I didn't use a chock, but tow strapped the heck out of the front end by the handle bars.

I can't really see it fitting... the wheel base is like 58" or so and that's axle to axle. You would need to add another foot or so in the front and say 6" in the rear. Even with that measurement you're going to be dangling the rear out. You might be able to get away with it but I think it would be alot safer if you could just borrow a single-cycle open trailer.

Back