Hitting redline...

ColdBusa

Take this Jerry, you silly little rodent
Donating Member
Registered
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if it is safe to be hitting redline with a turbo kit. Somebody at the track this summer mentioned something about hitting redline and how bad it was for a boosted bike. Any info would be great. Thanks guys.

I think they were refering to hitting the revlimiter, not good for a turbo engine. Redline is fine though.

Ugh, sorry. It's winter here, so I haven't really been in the bike lingo lately. Yes I mean the rev limiter. -35oC here as we speak!!!!

A turbo engine can be damaged by an injector softcut....Turbo bikes with SECONDARY CONTROLLERS are also at high risk of damage. This is because under higher boost levels the engine can "drive" thru the stock limiter, and continue on being fueled by the secondary injectors...thus leaning out substantially and causing damage

Mucho gracias Commuta_Busa, that's the kind of explanation I was looking for.. :bowdown:

Yes they are talking about hitting yhe limiter. That would be bad for a turbo because you would go down and REWVs and still be on boost. This could pre-ignite and go boom.

That's the reason why i change the stock ecu limiter to hard cut only and set my microtech to hard cut at the same rpm as stock ecu. So at the rev limiter the fuel is cut completely...:beerchug:

That's the reason why i change the stock ecu limiter to hard cut only and set my microtech to hard cut at the same rpm as stock ecu. So at the rev limiter the fuel is cut completely...:beerchug:

Dum girl question here...
Why not remove/bypass/disable the rev limiter?

because you would risk floating a valve and destroying your engine.

would the same thing happen on a 99 or 00?

If I understand valve floating correctly - where it doesn't remain in contact with the camshaft lobe during the closure phase, I'm not seeing where it would damage the engine. I can see reduced efficiency... ?

Why does the valve spring assemble rotate?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you toss out the rev limit in the ecu all together and twist the throttle beyond the valvetrains ability you'll have damage.

If you toss out the rev limit in the ecu all together and twist the throttle beyond the valvetrains ability you'll have damage.

Is it the same valvetrain as the 09 or 00?

Let me re-write this... do the rev-limited busas have the same valvetrains as busa without rev limiters?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think things are getting abit confusing we're talking about the RPM limiter not the speed limiter. All bikes have a rev limiter.

The valve train design has been the same for all hayabusa engines (bucket & shim). There was no speed limiter in the 99 & 00 hayabusa. I hope that clears things up...

Back