Highway Roll-ons

OB_emattson

Registered
Ok, Be honest... Really!!!
I ride with a group of guys with different bikes. We do all types of riding, but the real test of the machine is roll-ons. We ride with a Hayabusa, 96 ZX11, 99 ZX9R, 1996 RF900R.
The results:
Starting at 65-70MPH in top gear:
The RF and ZX11 pull to the front.
The bikes are packed pretty well up to 100-110mph
The 9R gets a good run to about 125MPH
Then the Hayabusa pulls us all like a L.I.S.
Thats "Landscape Inhalation System".
The RF900R is fading, with drafting the 9R and ZX11 can be in the hunt, but neither Kawasaki's have any chance of showing a wheel to the Abuser.
The Abuser opens up a steady gap, with the ZX11 and 9R fighting for 2nd.
And your results....
Nailz

That's probably about right, really. That doesn't surprise me in the least. The Busa probably doesn't even start stretching its wings in top gear until about 140 on up!

By the way, anyone with a shop manual.... can you give me the sprocket gearing, all the trans and internal gearing, for the Hayabusa? Would be interested to see some final drive and overall drive numbers, thanks!

Actually, I think John Burns from Motorcyclist magazine coined the term PLIS (Personal Landscape Inhalation System) in the June issue (Off The Record section). If the shoe fits....

Nailz...those are the most fun kind of rides I have ever had, where a bunch of friends with strong runners go for a ride to a weekend event, and when you get out into the boonies, you find out what everybody's machine can do. Gotta get back to doing that...too much fun!!

Mr. Bear,
The guy I heard LIS from failed to mention that he robbed it from a mag (should have guessed it... he ain't the brightest bulb on the christmas tree). I thought it was a sweet TLA. I agree with you. My buddies and I try to do a ride on the weekend then a BBQ at my house. We have a blast. Just don't miss a shift, brake to early or forget to protect your line... you'll have to endure hours of painful and snide remarks! We swap bikes quite often also, so there's no excuses. A friend just got a 6R and thinks he's the 4th Hayden brother... I'll see him in my rearview mirror!
As the saying goes... If your not the lead dog, your view is another dogs nutsack!!!
Nailz

Back