Hid light circuit switch idea

Slamjet

Registered
I just got my HID kit. So in looking through the forum, I decided to power it with a dedicated power line. However, since I use my bike all the time (no car by choice) and at my apartment I've found my choke moved, I decided to think up a latching relay circuit. I figured it would solve a couple of problems.

1) When the bike is turned off, the light goes off with it, thus releaving my not-to-smart brain from remembering to shut it off.

2) With the bike off, the HID light cannot be turned on. No one can drain my battery by screwing with it.

A second relay will be needed to be used as a switch for the light. A more efficient setup would be a double-throw relay, but I cannot find one for automotive use. But a few relays can be lined up in parallel.

Thoughts, comments?

Latching-Relay-Circuit-3.jpg

The circuit would work, but I wonder why you need it. The HID draws less current than the stock lamp so why not just use the existing wiring? And if your Busa is a newer model, I believe it only applies power to the headlight once the engine starts.

My busa is an '05. The light turns on with the key and off when I depress the start button. I wanted to avoid false-startup of the HID unit. I also want to lessen the impact of any problems to the electrical system because of the big jolt it takes to get the light lit.

Overly paranoid you might say.

I used a relay and wired a switch inline from the stock light wiring. This also helps me because when I am racing I don't have to have any lights on and don't blind people at the track.

+1 to Milesbm ... Iceman has a diagram around here for that wiring setup and it works great
cool.gif

just get a bar mount switch like PMR sells.....or similar if you want to "hide it"....

it will handle 10amps which is more than the HID will draw.

no need for relays and such.

you only need to interrupt the switched hot lead running into the HID ballast (or the ground if you wish).....and is so simple.

I have the same thing on my 05 for 4 months now...I can run all day without the HID on....and just run the highbeam...using the HID at night.
I can run no lights, low beam, high beam, or both.....with just a two position switch.... and now when I start her up...there is no on and off again circuit interrupts....just on when I want and off when I dont.

so many choose to over think such simple issues.

btw...how's the momentary switch going to feed the circuit once you release the button?
rock.gif
wink.gif

Here is the finished product:

Relay_Top_w.jpg

Relay_Side_w.jpg

There are two relay's. One relay is the contol relay, the other the power switch. The control relay is powered by the a) running tail light (it needs to be wired to the + wire so it will stay on if the bulb blows and to get enough power) or b) ignition switch. This relay is also the latching relay. There is no need to have a reset switch, since once the light is on, it needs to stay on. Once the momentary switch/button is pushed, the relay is activated and stay's latch until power is lost from the running light. This activated the second relay which is the switch for the light circuit, turning on the HID light.

The purpose behind this is to first, have a system so that the light will not me accidently switch on when the bike is off (i.e. undisiplined brats around my apartment). Secondly, to have a system so that a switch will potentialy not get hit while riding, thus turning off the light.

But then, my old man's an engineer. We tend to overcomplicate and overbuild things. It's a genetic thing.

Back