HID Group Buy INSTALL Question

coop65sr

Donating Member
Registered
I'm gonna get the 6000k HID Kit from our sponsor here on the board but I have a question on the installation if ya'll will help me please....

I am totally new to the HID Kit and all and I have done as much research as I could today looking in some of our old posts...found one really good install that ICEMAN did a good while ago and I think that some of what he did may not apply today in an install and that is where I'm confused....

I looked at the group buy on the Kits and decided to go with the 6000k setup high and low-- I see that the kit has two ignitors/two ballasts, etc...

My question is-- I remember in some post I read a long time ago about there being an issue with the ignitor or ballast or something having undue wear put on it by the light coming on as soon as you turn the key on---then momentarily going out when the starter button is pushed, then coming back on of course when the engine starts... and I thought that there was a fix for this... an on/off toggle switch or something..

Is this STILL a problem I need to avoid?
rock.gif
If so, what exactly do I need to do to set this up??? I don't want to buy this kit and have to be replacing parts prematurely---

So, please educate me on the install and whatever else I need to buy to do this right--- I can do the install and wiring and all, but if there is a better/newer install on the board I'd appreciate the info-- Thanks, Chris

some put on a time delay so the light does not get juice until about 30-90 seconds after the key is turned on...I think it is some DEI part.

I have an 06 and do not have the delay and had nothad problems yet with my bulbs.

If you hold the start button then turn on the key the light wont come on till you pull in the clutch when it starts, or some thing like that, some one help me out here...

If you hold the start button then turn on the key the light wont come on till you pull in the clutch when it starts, or some thing like that, some one help me out here...
..and dont forget to let go of the starter botton and not the clutch after it starts.

Chris,
I put a cutoff switch on Bessie so that I could shut the low beam off when going through a Base gate, no relay just shutting it off... not sure if that would help you or not...

I also used a relay, and switch when I installed mine. Installed my switch in the right hand grip assm. In front of the mode switch, towards the front of the bike.

Thanks guys for the input--- I have been considering doing this upgrade for a while and just been procrastinating--- I'm sick of not being able to really see at night, so I'm about to "Git-R-Done"... I appreciate the help
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif

depeneds on the year of the bike and the MFG. of the kit. There are svereal ways to get by it. I had a McC low beam only kit in my 04' and always had the problem of the light not refiring once the bike was running. I flipped the high/low beam wires so the high was always on and the low was switch activated. I now have the dual HID's with the slim ballast kit that GIXERHP sells on eBay and was having the same issue, he fixed it with a simple relay install. 05' up should not have the problem. Check him out, can't beat his prices...

Not sure if you have the McCulloch kit or not, but that's what I've got. Here's my install. A couple things I want to point out before you go and look at it. First of all, appearently there are some foam pieces that I was supposed to get with mine that are supposed to eliminate all the work I did on getting the hold down spring to seat correctly on the bulb, and also for the dust cover. So if you recieve these foam pieces with your kit, then don't worry about doing what I did for those 2 things. The second thing I was to mention is the fact that I DID use the DEI 528T timed relay on mine. That is the reason for all the wiring. I had a bunch of people post replies sayin how their kit was plug and play and they're glad they didn't get what I did. Mine WAS plug and play, but I installed the relay. That's the reason for all the extra wiring.

Oh, and as for the relay being NEEDED. . . If you have a pre 05, then you definitely need one. 05-up you don't technically, but if it were mine, I'd do it anyway. It's a $6.00 insurance pollicy on a $100 bulb. Here's the link to my install. Install

Back