Hey relsek

SAMBUSA

TATTOO'D WHITE TRASH
Donating Member
Registered
There is a time when an employee deserves to be terminated. Keep in mind that I have to defend employees who are to be disciplined. So I say on one side that an employee needs canned and then I turn around and fight for his job. Maybe even taking it to the National Mediation Board. For example, where I work we have employees who are excessively absent. I have a conference with management and explain to them that they have the right to discipline up to and including termination. Then I sit on the opposite side of the table during the investigation and argue why the employee shouldn't loose his job.

That being said, there are many times where the company thinks an offense warrants termination and I disagree 100%

These are the posts this thread is based on...
Thank God for Unions
Why is that, other than the bereavement statement, I kind of think it is a great idea. In my opinion, some union work ethic it much like the gov't work ethic. Absent.

Flame away please, I know I've offended some.
Yeah, and a dictatorship management is so great to work for.  Let me guess, unions are the demise of the American workplace.

BTW, I am Teamsters officer, so you flame away.
Have you ever worked somewhere in which productivity is rewarded and lack of it leads to termination? That is the kind of atmosphere I've been working in ever since I left the Military and I like it much better than what I experienced in the AF and what I see at gov't workplaces, such as the DMV, although I'll hand it to Polk County, they have the most productive DMV I've ever seen, excepting the driver license office. In my work over the years I've interacted with many of the types of workers I think of as typically union. They are the type that insist on their break at a preset time, they make sure every minute of the lunch is taken, and sometimes maybe a little more. They will call in sick just to use up all their sick time just so they don't loose it at the end of the year.

I'm not knocking unions or the gov't, just commenting the the rest of the world for the most part has figured out how to be productive rather than how to get the most for doing the least.

Kevin

No offence to anyone, and not saying all union or gov't are this way.
One should be rewarded for being productive but not terminated for lack of production.  Disciplined maybe, but not terminated.........You are probably management and we could go round and round all day long, but I dont want to hijack this thread anymore. In another forum maybe?
Okay, I don't want to hijack either, but would you answer one question for me?

Is there any time when termination is appropriate?[/QUOTE]

There is a time when an employee deserves to be terminated.  Keep in mind that I have to defend employees who are to be disciplined.  So I say on one side that an employee needs canned and then I turn around and fight for his job. Maybe even taking it to the National Mediation Board.  For example, where I work we have employees who are excessively absent.  I have a conference with management and explain to them that they have the right to discipline up to and including termination.  Then I sit on the opposite side of the table during the investigation and argue why the employee shouldn't loose his job.

That being said, there are many times where the company thinks an offense warrants termination and I disagree 100%
Okay.

In my view, an employee should be terminated when he costs more to the employer than he earns the employer. That's about sums it up for me. It doesn't matter if you've been there for 30 years, you should be paid based on your value to the employer, not based on how long you've worked there or what you have as an education.
I'm not talking about having a bad week or a bad month, but a habit of non-productivity.
Do you disagree with that?

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141687580 -->

There is a time when an employee deserves to be terminated.  Keep in mind that I have to defend employees who are to be disciplined.  So I say on one side that an employee needs canned and then I turn around and fight for his job. Maybe even taking it to the National Mediation Board.  For example, where I work we have employees who are excessively absent.  I have a conference with management and explain to them that they have the right to discipline up to and including termination.  Then I sit on the opposite side of the table during the investigation and argue why the employee shouldn't loose his job.

Okay.

In my view, an employee should be terminated when he costs more to the employer than he earns the employer. That's about sums it up for me. It doesn't matter if you've been there for 30 years, you should be paid based on your value to the employer, not based on how long you've worked there or what you have as an education.
I'm not talking about having a bad week or a bad month, but a habit of non-productivity.
Do you disagree with that?
In some cases I disagree. For example, in the Railroad industry one small mistake can cost millions of dollars. Should he be fired for one small mistake or be given a chance to rehab his work ethic?

For example, in the Railroad industry one small mistake can cost millions of dollars.  Should he be fired for one small mistake or be given a chance to rehab his work ethic?
rock.gif
I call that a big mistake.

A little mistake like that can put a lot of people out of work. Yes, I think a million dollar mistake should warrant termination.

Let me rephrase that, I think termination should be an option that the employer has. He may not choose to use it but it should be his choice.

<!--EDIT|Relsek
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141687893 -->

For example, in the Railroad industry one small mistake can cost millions of dollars.  Should he be fired for one small mistake or be given a chance to rehab his work ethic?
rock.gif
I call that a big mistake.

A little mistake like that can put a lot of people out of work. Yes, I think a million dollar mistake should warrant termination.
Then don't come to the Railroad industry.  Probably the only employment in America that you could cause millions in damage and not worry about losing your job.  If the behavior is repeated, then its a different story.

In other industries, I would agree that an employee should be worth more than he costs. But how big of a time span do you use to determine employees profitability or lack there of?

<!--EDIT|Black Bird Killer
Reason for Edit: None given...|1141689137 -->

I'm a union worker. I hate that it does protect a few worthless dirtbags but without it, the company would get away with murder.

Back