Hesitation/stumble up to 2,500rpms...FIXED!

snowprophet1

Registered
coils.jpgcoils2.jpg
If these pictures upload correctly, it should show the coils how they are put together. The metal shield slides over the coil body, than the plastic cover, then the rubber top piece that seals the dirt out, and then the rubber cover that slides over the spark plug ceramic. In the other picture, I am pointing between the spark plug rubber cover and the plastic cover. It looks like an old rubber o-ring that melted and deformed, where in reality, it is the coil's plastic molded body that melted out the bottom of the plastic cover (shield) and started to stick out so much as to almost take the hole size of the head in the spark plug area! I checked the resistance of all the coils, and they all read the same. I knew since the plastic body was melted and couldn't even come apart like the others, something wasn't right. I filed some of the extra plastic off so I could put the coils back in a little easier, and used black tape around the coil before putting them back in.
If you tried to pull out in front of anybody, you would get hit, because you had to keep trying to rev it up and keep feathering the clutch without it stalling, and most of the time it would stall. Anything over 2,500rmps would run fine! You would think that if you had a weak coil or a fouled plug, it would act up more and more as you increased the load on it. Not in this case.
I got 4 used coils off ebay, left the plugs and everything else alone, and just put in the used coils I bought. WOW! Butter smooth, not a single missed beat, and runs perferct!!!! I chased this problem all summer (since I bought it), trying sea foam, bypassing the power commander, changing plugs, setting the tps, and sometimes thinking it actually helped a little bit, when in reality, every time I took out the coils to check whatever, putting them back in being possibly turned just a little different might have helped it not act up right away.
All I can guess is MAYBE the computer might run a lower voltage to the coils until 2,500 rpms where there is not a lot of load on the motor, so as to have the coils last longer because they are seeing less voltage in it's lifetime that way? It ran good past that, so that's my only thought. Any tech guys that know in depth about the computer system have any insight? I'm all ears, but that is what FINALLY cured my stumble.

coils.jpg

coils2.jpg

Back