Heres a new one.

(Spike @ Apr. 07 2007,11:07)
Implying I was threat when I am legally holding a permit to carry goes completely against the grain of the intended law.  We don't get a permit issued if we have threatening behavior in our background.  You don't get a permit simply by asking for one.  The state puts you through quite a process and they place a responsibility on you when they issue that permit.  If anything it should give him a better sense of security that I am legally able to have the responsibility of carrying.

I am going to have to chime in and agree %110 on this one.  I trust people who carry legally more than I trust people who do not.  I wonder why this police officer felt different, I thought that was natural?

Can anyone in Law Enforcement give any insight on this?[/Quote]
I'm not a LEO, but I will chime in. I know the process of obtaining a permit and a clean background is required. But, who knows where a permit holder is coming from at any given time. Just because someone holds a permit does not mean they are still an angel. The holder could have just killed his exwife and her family (just an example, no flaming please). The LEO just doesn't know. As mentioned earlier, I will gladly surrender my weapon during a traffic stop. I certainly don't want the officer viewing me as a threat and capping me because I kept my piece but decided to scratch my butt.

I am from Alberta, and no one has answered my question yet- why do you have to carry while on the bike? Are you in a place with drive-by's, or do guys try to pull you off the bike, or do you go target shooting to take a break, or shoot gophers while riding, (actually that would be cool)..............
guns.gif

I didn't read every post but I think the cop was in the right here. I ride (in florida) with a full face helmet, clear visor and sunglasses. I ride with the visor up and shades on. I only put the visor down when I'm going fast or at night when I'm not wearing shades. The other day I got hit by a bug on the very tip of my nose. Sounds funny but true. It felt like somebody thumped me as hard as they could right on the tip. After checking my face for bug guts all I could think was "thank God for my sunglasses". If I wasn't wearing them and the bug was 1 inch either way I would've been blinded, or at least having a doctor pull a bug out of my eye.We also have dragonfly season and lovebug season in Florida. I cant imagine riding without some sort of eye protection.

(Ken02busa @ Apr. 07 2007,11:32) I am from Alberta, and no one has answered my question yet- why do you have to carry while on the bike? Are you in a place with drive-by's, or do guys try to pull you off the bike, or do you go target shooting to take a break, or shoot gophers while riding, (actually that would be cool)..............
guns.gif
Hey Ken,
Permit holders don't have to pack, but we have the option to do so. I certainly don't hang out in high crime areas but crime does occur everywhere. Road rage is common, aggresive drivers are common. I have the freedom to protect myself, wife, family, blah, blah against any and all threats against me/us. Todays society is unfortunately a violent society. I realize that today law enforcement community is not able to protect us at all times. The permit holders I know personally go to the range regularly and are excellent shots. You should do some research on google and see just how popular carrying has become, legally that is.

Thanks for the explanation, on both counts, Poppy.

I never looked at it from that angle.

As far as carrying goes, I carried in Georgia for the same reasons as Poppy. In California, at least where I am at, it is virtually impossible to get a carry permit.

Cool, thanks.

I am actually a RSO (Range Safety Officer) and Alberta Firearms verifier, have competed years ago and have shot more thousands of rounds than most guns shops here carry. I was just wondering if the violent crime rate where you live was the reason, or if it was 'just cause I can'. If I could, there are places I likely would, Lloydminster Alberta is getting very scary, there was a murder or shooting here it seemed like every other day here for a while.

In IL you must have eye protection. Glasses or helmet work for sure. Don't know if a windshield counts on like a cruiser. And never thought about the shield being up on a helmet. But it makes sense.

every state that has no helmet law pretty much has the eye protection law in place to PROTECT the rider. I would not think of riding with nothing over my eyes.
poke.gif

(busa_boy_69 @ Apr. 06 2007,17:51) Well man I have to say this story was absolutely crap. I can tell this cop just had a case of trying to screw with you. I have had a couple run ins like this myself. But I have also (and very recently) had some really cool cop encounters. I know its hard but try not to judge them all because of this azzclown. Now having said that he was actually right man. Riding without anything on your eyes is bad news. A NAT will feel like its gonna put your eye out and 60 or 70mph let alone if a rock gets flicked up or something. If you don't have a visor at least wear some safety glasses or something on under your hemlet. Not trying to nag ya or anything I'd just hate to see you fly off the road and smack a tree or something because you got hit in the eyes by something. But I am a firm believer in ALL gear ALL the time. I been in the ER before and it taught me my lesson. Sorry to hear about the hassle though.
My Busas's nose and my helmets have been scared by rocks. That would be a biotch in the eye. And make that clear safety glasses or shades, not just regular cheapos. You'll put your eye out dude.
laugh.gif

(Spike @ Apr. 07 2007,11:07)
Implying I was threat when I am legally holding a permit to carry goes completely against the grain of the intended law. We don't get a permit issued if we have threatening behavior in our background. You don't get a permit simply by asking for one. The state puts you through quite a process and they place a responsibility on you when they issue that permit. If anything it should give him a better sense of security that I am legally able to have the responsibility of carrying.

I am going to have to chime in and agree %110 on this one. I trust people who carry legally more than I trust people who do not. I wonder why this police officer felt different, I thought that was natural?

Can anyone in Law Enforcement give any insight on this?[/Quote]
It's pure risk. Life or death. In SC, concealed permit carriers are trained to announce immediately and have credentials available. Cagers will place their hands on top portion of steering wheel. That makes a difference. Vs. me finding out several minutes into a contact.

(Ken02busa @ Apr. 07 2007,08:32) I am from Alberta, and no one has answered my question yet- why do you have to carry while on the bike? Are you in a place with drive-by's, or do guys try to pull you off the bike, or do you go target shooting to take a break, or shoot gophers while riding, (actually that would be cool)..............
guns.gif
I carry while I'm on the bike because I carry after and before I'm on it - carrying during is hard to avoid....

Interesting thread here on eye protection!

I learned something!

(YH2K @ Apr. 08 2007,16:17)
(Ken02busa @ Apr. 07 2007,08
zzwhip.gif
) I am from Alberta, and no one has answered my question yet- why do you have to carry while on the bike? Are you in a place with drive-by's, or do guys try to pull you off the bike, or do you go target shooting to take a break, or shoot gophers while riding, (actually that would be cool)..............
guns.gif
I carry while I'm on the bike because I carry after and before I'm on it - carrying during is hard to avoid....

Interesting thread here on eye protection!

I learned something!
If that's you in the avatar you can't risk losing an I
laugh.gif

I also had a run in with our finest here in new jersey i was wearing my helmet but it was summer and hot so at the traffic light i opened my visor up for some air , the light turned green i proceeded to go i short shifted into 2nd at about 10 mph then closed my shield , i figure everything is ok i have been doing this for years the reason i short shift into 2nd is less torque incase i hit a bump while i shut my visor well approximately 1/8 mile down the road i look in my mirror i have a cop literally 2 feet from my back wheel , I'm like WTH 10 sec later he puts the lights on i pull over , he gave me the same speech about proper eye protection so i feel your pain but some cops have a hard on for sport bike riders but in your case he was right about no eye protection and reg sun glasses are BAD at least use safety glasses they are shatter resistant , i cant imagine hitting a rock or a big beetle and getting sun glass shrapnel in your eye ,but good write up glad you kept your cool you didn't over act ,presented yourself professionally,handled the situation perfect, just get some shatter proof glasses and enjoy the ride  
beerchug.gif

Here in RHODE ISLAND, you need eye protection and your passenger needs a helmet and eye protection..
I got a $145 ticket last year for no eye protection, my helmet was on the back of my bike, my glasses were on my forehead and we were going about 3 miles an hour through a Feast, where there were people walking in between us and all around the streets, so I put my glasses up to better see, then this cop directing traffic jumps in front of me, and we go through the hole dance, only for me to get a ticket , and hold up traffic for 20-25 minutes... But the cop did tell me next time to pull them down my nose instead of putting them up... Then they cant ticket you.....
beerchug.gif

As for the weapon, when I used to carry, In Rhode Island it is your responsability to alert the patrolman that you are carrying a weapon and then he makes the judgment of how he aquires it from you, weather he feels safe with you handing it to him or if he wants you on the ground cuffed behind your back, telling him where the weapon is... My uncle forget to tell a trooper he was carrying about 4 years ago, and then ended up having a expired licence {I guees when you get older you can forget something like that} So the cop wanted to check him out, an he didnt realise what was happening till it happened, ended up spending a night in the ACI, and going through hell to get everything straightened out {this is a 55 year old man worth about 9800 a month....}
You got pretty lucky, in my eyes, but maybe I cant see to good, I got my glasses on...

(TallTom @ Apr. 07 2007,07:06)
(Kweave @ Apr. 06 2007,17:05) I am a cop, and at first I agreed the cop was being a bobo...however after reading some comments, its a good law. He might have saved your eyesight.......
On another note...a proactive officer will use any legitimate stop to make contact with people. If you were a wanted criminal he would have gotten you off the street. We dont wear signs that say "good guy,Bad guy". So we have to use small trivial opportunities to make contact with ppl. It may be a pain in the Arse, but sometimes we get the bad guys.  My advice...shake it off, I gurantee he is not at home thinking, Man I bet that guy with no glasses doesnt like me anymore....  
all_coholic.gif
I am also seeing my view on eye protection a little differently.  I have narrow squinty eyes and have never had any problems....YET.  While I do see the possibility of bugs etc beig an issue and yes I see the difference of view as constructive, all the cop had to do was say listen go to the 7-11 and get some eye protection on and I would have had a different outlook on the attitude displayed.  

And your comment about him going home and not thinking one way or the other about me, the reverse doesn't apply.  He has a standard of conduct by which the public will view him differently.  They are expected to deserve a standard of respect by thier actions, not demand it because they have a badge and power.

The whole attitude of inspecting my VIN number and registarion and "looking" for a reason was totally unnecassary.  Retaining my sidearm past the point of assesed threat, was totally unnecessary.

He could have used the opportunity to slow down and say out of his window, hey buddy you need to get some eye protection on or you will be cited.  That is a proactive cop.  That enhances our views a little better than the power trips they take with us.  I hope that is not what is meant by being proactive.  

Implying I was threat when I am legally holding a permit to carry goes completely against the grain of the intended law.  We don't get a permit issued if we have threatening behavior in our background.  You don't get a permit simply by asking for one.  The state puts you through quite a process and they place a responsibility on you when they issue that permit.  If anything it should give him a better sense of security that I am legally able to have the responsibility of carrying.

But I am not a cop risking my life to pull a guy over for eye protection.  If those are such a threat to thier security, maybe they shouldn't pull us over at all.  Can't be too safe around us dangerous bikers.  They have reputations after all.
I hadnt checked this thread in a bit. However when I take someones weapon during a stop I keep it the entire lenght of the stop. I then empty the magazine and give him his weapon seprately from ammo.
I think you need to get over it. Like I said he saved your eyesight and your whining about it.....
He didnt have to work a wreck later that you caused.
Now stop acting like someone that rides a damn honda....

(dadofthree @ Apr. 08 2007,12:39) Just beat it in court:
If I were cited and if I was cited for 316.211 violation I wouldn't have gone to court. Can't argue a clear violation. Until Poppy posted this statute I would not know what to learn about before going to court. If I would have been cited I would go and look at the statute and decide for myself if I was in a position to argue differently. In the thread you link to, I am a little more versed in the use of radar or in most cases, the misuse of it.

If he would have kept my weapon and asked me to leave the scene (cross the street on foot) I would be in court yes.

I think I'll take the Elton John sunglass stop to court.....
ices_rofl.gif

(Kweave @ Apr. 08 2007,16:49) I hadnt checked this thread in a bit. However when I take someones weapon during a stop I keep it the entire lenght of the stop.  I then empty the magazine and give him his weapon seprately from ammo.
I think you need to get over it. Like I said he saved your eyesight and your whining about it.....  
I have no objection to the emptyng of the ammo and returning the weapon and ammo seperately as you described and as I have already pointed out. What he was in the process of doing was keep my weapon and ask me to leave the scene with no citation or proof he had it.

And he could have "saved my eyesight" in a much more courteous manner. You don't get respect or a message across by being a *ickhead doing it.

And I am not ashamed of my Honda at all. It sits proudly next to the Busa.

(TallTom @ Apr. 09 2007,08:02)
(Kweave @ Apr. 08 2007,16:49) I hadnt checked this thread in a bit. However when I take someones weapon during a stop I keep it the entire lenght of the stop.  I then empty the magazine and give him his weapon seprately from ammo.
I have no objection to the emptyng of the ammo and returning the weapon and ammo seperately as you described and as I have already pointed out.  What he was in the process of doing was keep my weapon and ask me to leave the scene with no citation or proof he had it.

And he could have "saved my eyesight" in a much more courteous manner.   You don't get respect or a message across by being a *ickhead doing it.

And I am not ashamed of my Honda at all.  It sits proudly next to the Busa.
Funny,I get more good comments on my Honda vtx than the busa.

big deal most people are terrified of the busa.

Back