Heres a new one.

TallTom

Registered
I live in Fla. No helmets required. It has been a hot topic for years here. Freedom vs. safety etc.

Yesterday I am riding in a group of 3. My Busa, another Busa and a Victory Hammer. I was in the back of the 3. All going the speed limit no noisy bikes etc. We roll up on a police cruiser gently in speed in the next lane. The Victory had no helmet on, myself and the other Busa has ours on. My helmet does not have a visor on it due to awaiting a replacement.

So we are cruising for about 1/4 mile with the cruiser, and he hits his blues rolls down his window and slows to get even with us, and he points to me specifically and yells out the window. I need you to pull over right now!

We are looking at each other like wth and he looks right at me and says "YOU" pointing his finger right at me. I mean we are going like 40 and he is literally talking to me out of his window.

So I pull over and my buds pull over and he tells them on his PA speaker. You boys move along I don't want to have to handle 3 of you and you need to keep riding.

So I'm like WTH again. So he comes over and says license registration insurance etc. I have all that in order. When I take my license out of my wallet he sees that I have a carry permit. He at that point ask me to step off the bike and to place my hands on the hood of his car in plain site. He ask me if I am carrying a weapon. Yes officer I am and I will be happy to openly let you take control of it if you want to right now. He asked me to disarm which I did. I then produced all of his requested vehicle paperwork.

He looked over my vehicle paperwork and then went inside his cruiser and called me in. Came out and said, do you know why I am pulling you over? No Sir I have absolutely no clue. I am pulling you over because you were not wearing eye protection. I said in amazement, excuse me. He looks at me and says eye protection you know something to protect your eyes. I said officer, did you not see the full face helmet I am wearing? Yes and it doesn't have a visor and you weren't wearing any eye protection. I could see that you were having problems seeing and the wind was making you blink a alot! I looked at him like "You have GOT to be kidding me right", but I say officer "how much protection do you feel my helmet needs to offer me?" He then informs me that I can't ride with a visor up either. I then said OK officer how about if I take my helmet off and ride. Do you have any sunglasses or anything you can wear if you do? No sir I assume that my helmet was approved eye protection. You can ride with no helmet but you must have eye protection on was his response.

Then he ask if I make a habit of carrying a firearm. Well yes officer I do, I have a permit to legally do so and I regularly carry as allowed. Then he says I see you have it laser sighted. Why do you feel you need to do that? I said so I lessen the chance that I miss and possibly hit an innocent should that panic situation arise and sort of started getting pissy about the questioning He is pondering, I can see his little cop wheels turning in his head. Tell you what I am ONLY going to write you up for riding without proper eye protection. It will be $113.00 fine. I stood there for a second and sort of jaw dropped and said "How about if you let me walk right to that 7-11 and buy $2 pair of sunglasses to get me home and I won't need to see you in court over this. He went silent and turned his wheels in his head some more. He said OK I will wait here until you return. He gave me my license and paperwork back. Officer I'd like my sidearm back now also. Well I'd like to hold it for my personal protection until you return back was his response. In case by some chance you get a call and have to leave in a hurry before I can get back across the street I'd hate to have to explain to the desk seargent why you have my sidearm later today when I have to come find you officer. He thought about that for another second or two.

And at this point he sees I am looking at and remembering his badge number. He returns my sidearm and says "I will give you 3 minutes to get some eye protection on that head or I will cite you".

So I do the $2 ($6 actually) 7-11 option and off he goes. So tell me the incentive for wearing gear? They make helmet laws such a hot topic safety issue here. The cops hate the no helmet requirement. But they can't ticket you for it. But geeze they certainly make you NOT want to wear a helmet in some cases. It is just plain stupid to put a rider in a helmet in this position. He was simply looking for an excuse to pull someone over. Then he further tries to assert himself into the rest of my day with the rest of his bs. If I would have had 1 tiny thing out of order in my paperwork it would have been a bust. And he checked EVERYTHING on that paperwork and made sure the bike matched the paper I called my buddies afterward and they said he was looking us over pretty hard when we rolled up beside him.

I am all for safety but I am about ready to protest the principle of why wear a helmet when its easier to wear stupid $6 sunglasses to keep the cops off your back.

Judging fom his behavior, he was probably a California cop on a lateral.

Ubelievable.

--Wag--

(JuiceSC @ Apr. 06 2007,08:08) In short, he was 100% right. Never ever ride without eye protection.
+1. it sucks you were put through all of that but seriously i cant imagine getting hit in the eye with something going 40mph.

on another note, cheap sunglasses might be worse because they will shatter...

never heard anything like it here in cali we have helmet laws but i have never heard of someone getting pulled over for no glasses i have to wear glasses anyhow so i always have mine on

oh and my dad was pulled over here in pa for flipping up his visor at a light and riding 10 feet to a gas station. some cops are just anal...

Unfortunately no eye protection can get you a ticket in FL. At least he let you off. I'd take an ass chew'n any time if I don't get cited in the end!!!

No eye protection will get you pulled over here in CA as well. That just seems like borderline harassment though, especially if all paperwork checked out.

I've been pulled over for no eye protection for my passenger! We both had helmets and my bike at the time had a full fairing to boot.

Once again a leo just picking on a sport bike rider.Just looking for some bs reason to give you a hard time.He is a control freak,acting like a bad a.. with his badge.I can't stand control freaks,they have absolutely no pride in themselves pushing people around with their authority.And NO I am not bashing all leo's,some are really nice people.

No eye wear,wow, how do you do it.I can't stand it.

He still shouldn't have done it that way.

F` it, you got eye protection and it is needed. Just think if you had gotten hit in the eye by some foreign object, and had a vehicle close in front of you. Not busting your chops either.

A riding buddy of mine would always ride with an open face helmet. We begged him to get a fulface helmet. NO, he would say! I don`t need it. One day on a slow ride he gets a bee in his helmet. On another ride he gets a bee and some bugs in his helmet. When we stopped he asked did you guys get any bugs or bees?
No, we wear fulfaced helmets to prevent bugs and the like from getting insde our helmets, and its safer with a fulface helmet. See all the bugs on the face shield?

He now rides with a fulface helmet.

I was not on a sport bike at the time. I can't belive this is even a topic. Ever have a large bug splatter on your faceshiled? I have, and it can totally block your vision in one eye. I hate to think what would have happened if I didn't have any eye protection.

Ps:pA dropped the helmet law about 2 years ago. I rode a few times wihtout a lid, but I've gone back to full face lids.

uhmmm...the cop was extremely lieniant..and made a legit stop as eye protection is mandatory lid or not...butterfly effect liability..you catch a palmetto bug or wasp in the eye and go down?..then the cage behind you gets into a head-on while trying to avoid running you over...in the end?..the LEO made a legit stop..corrected the err of your ways..and didn't even earn his keep..made a stop and no citation..post should be titled..

"Your Lucky Day"

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

They make a big deal about it in Florida. i got stopped a few years back for that. Had helmit on, and visor up (was a cold morning) visor was fogged when i took off from light he gave me ticket for not putting it down before i started to drive. he didn't want to hear that the visor fogs up when no air is going through it. No granted the guy was just being an A$$hole because he must have had a hard on for people on bikes. but still was B.S.

But i do 100% agree with needing to have eye protection when you ride. and all in all he was cool about it. didn't give ya a ticket.

(JuiceSC @ Apr. 06 2007,02:08) In short, he was 100% right. Never ever ride without eye protection.
He is right, I was cited for 90 bucks for not wearing eye protection on one of my first bikes.

In New Hampshire you need eye protection and no helmet.

Don't want any debris in your eye to make you wish you had a helmet.

A law is a law and eye protection is a safety issue, but he was looking for something, as you described it.

He did let you off after getting your glasses, so he was lenient.
beerchug.gif

In Indiana, you have to have eye protection. If your bike has a windshield that is taller than your eyes while seated on the bike, that is considered eye protection. Also, helmets are not required for riders with a motorcycle endorsement that are 18 years or older but eye protection is required for everyone. While there, I wore a helmet 98% of the time and now that I am in Cali, I am glad that they require a helmet for everyone. I wear glasses under my helmet so riding with the shield up does not present any problems. Plus, my full face has a sun visor that is internal and flips down with the movement of a lever towards the rear of the helmet. Looks like something a fighter jet pilot would wear. If you wear glasses, google "Caberg".

In Indiana, you have to have eye protection. If your bike has a windshield that is taller than your eyes while seated on the bike, that is considered eye protection. Also, helmets are not required for riders with a motorcycle endorsement that are 18 years or older but eye protection is required for everyone. While there, I wore a helmet 98% of the time and now that I am in Cali, I am glad that they require a helmet for everyone. I wear glasses under my helmet so riding with the shield up does not present any problems. Plus, my full face has a sun visor that is internal and flips down with the movement of a lever towards the rear of the helmet. Looks like something a fighter jet pilot would wear. If you wear glasses, google "Caberg".

(JINKSTER @ Apr. 06 2007,11:55) uhmmm...the cop was extremely lieniant..and made a legit stop as eye protection is mandatory lid or not...butterfly effect liability..you catch a palmetto bug or wasp in the eye and go down?..then the cage behind you gets into a head-on while trying to avoid running you over...in the end?..the LEO made a legit stop..corrected the err of your ways..and didn't even earn his keep..made a stop and no citation..post should be titled..

"Your Lucky Day"

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
Totally agree... helmet or no helmet, eye protection is the law~ The helmet itself doesn't provide the eye protection.. the visor does~ Just because you had on the helmet doesn't cover the law since said helmet, you admitted to, didn't have a visor attached~ No visor... no glasses.. no eye protection~ Simple as that... You were lucky to talk him out of that citation~

Back