Helping out at my buddies shop

rubbersidedown

TURBO-BUSA-RIDIN'-BASTID
Donating Member
Registered
I can't hold a real job,or any job for that matter for a myriad of reasons but I do help out folks as best I can,when I can. A good buddy own's a motorcycle repair shop near me. He will fix anything. 99% of shops these days don't like to touch anything over 10 years old.They will just laugh at you and say "Let it die." Well my bro likes people and loves bikes. He will fix yer old krap. :laugh: So I help him out with that.
Lately I have been thrown a real mixed bag.
Handed a scooter that had several issues I dug into the centrifugal clutch. It had nuked. Ouch.That spring is not supposed to be there floating around in the case.The clutch is broken in 2 places.The bearing for the gear is broken.

Had an electric bike that had been in an accident.Insurance repair. I gave it new forks,throttle,plastic,pegs and mounts,bars,mirrors,etc etc. Neat thing thou.Actually well built. Finished and ready to roll.

This dinosaur (1984 Virago) new stator,rectifier,battery and 3 diodes. They were cool back in the day.

I did a bunch of stuff to this Honda including a carb overhaul...I know,what's a carburator. Hahahaha.

Couple are ready for sale. Neat old krap.
:thumbsup:

Recently I did 1981 Yam XS650 it was a nice resto.Some of these bikes are OK to work on,others not so much so.The shop is sitting on quite a pile of old parts,new old stock,etc because he is a wrecker too.Alot of the parts needed are just gone,discontinued,obsolete.I fabricate them if needed and it's possible. Its real old stuff some of it(the bikes I work on),but folks still like them,or its all they can afford.Sometimes I get lucky and get something to work on from this decade.LOL. No,he does newer bikes too.My bro does his best to help everybody.I met him 30 years ago when I was building mine own line of custom choppers for myself and to sell.I fixed everything back then,cars and trucks too.Well I needed a few jets for some carbs I was re-jetting for bigger air and custom exhaust pipes.Went to a shop,picked them up...40 dollars. Just out of curiosity I tried this guy's shop.He asked what I was up to,so I told him. He asked what I had payed. I told him. He said return those, I'll give them to you for 5 bucks. And thus....A beautiful friendship was born.
Up on my bench shortly will be this old slabside GSXR which I will restore to previous glory and this 954.The Honda is 20 years old...but the real nasty part...it has sat outside for the last 15 years.The Gixxer carbs have been cleaned up and it runs,The Honda may even be siezed. Some people,breaks my heart.Leaving that sweet azzed bike outside. Owner want's it back in business. Okee Dokee. Good thing I work for my buddy for free.He just couldn't hire a tech at fair market value and still turn a profit for these jobs.Sourcing parts alone takes hours let alone twisting the wrenches.I have big fun when I'm there thou,sometimes there are even girls to hit on.Sport bike chics,Harley chics, scooter girls. LOL. Krap,deleted the pics. Will post tomorrow. G'night all.
Rubb.

Far out Rubb!
That looks like a very sweet arrangement you have goin'there mate. . .

Make sure you post up lotsa interesting shots of the ol' slabside, keep me posted on how it's going with it, I've had a few of them and Frankensteined one, converted it to a 7/11 . So yeah, interest is on the high end for this one!
My mate has a 85 red and black GSXR750F and he is mad on them.
Very cool ol'skool machine, hey you'll get to sample it on the road when it's done eh?

Far out Rubb!

Make sure you post up lotsa interesting shots of the ol' slabside, keep me posted on how it's going with it, I've had a few of them and Frankensteined one, converted it to a 7/11 . So yeah, interest is on the high end for this one!
Very cool ol'skool machine, hey you'll get to sample it on the road when it's done eh?

I had a black and red '85..it was a great bike and I should have kept it...the thing would go like stink as it was so light.

Glad Rubb started this post as it will be a good platform for all the "backyard mechanic" stories.

I have a few myself.

I used to work on bikes-just simple stuff-oil changes, brakes (fluid, pads, etc), chains/sprockets, carbs, etc.. never changed tires as getting rid of the old ones was too much of a pain.

One time in life I had 12 bikes at my house (4 of them were mine) and it came to be the military was moving me. The pre-packer came to the house and I had red ribbons on the bikes which were not to be loaded in the truck....long story short, the house packers came while I was on the base doing admin, I came home and they had all the bikes loaded in the truck...

I told the guy all the bikes with the red ribbons have to stay as the owners were coming for them.. What a job it was unloading all those bikes.

Hopefully the next couple lucky contestants up on my bench for a quality game of...."Polish the Turd." :laugh: The ol' slabside and a Honda.

The Honduh...

"So you need a carb float bowl yer in-line four eh?" "Its a 1978 you say."
"Not a problem whats so ever,I think those are on rack one."
"Be right back,two minutes,tops."

"and yer brother needs some clutch steels for a GPZ600,got those on rack 27."

Some of the other "treasures"...

Check out the ol' Suzuki "WaterBuffalo" a collectable bike. Comes complete with custom "Ape Hanger" handle bars. sweet right.

Buddy I have not seen in a long time needed the tire machine to mount some new skins. He has to have a wide,but not too wide,low profile tire.
Look at the rim hanging out on the side. Curbs will not be friendly.

Burn....
Rubbah.

Last edited:
My dad had a 350Four just like in the pic and seemed like he was always replacing the exhausts - rusting out , anyways i will always remember him taking me for rides when i was a kid and thought it was the best :D

Far out Rubb!

I'll keep u informed my friend,start to finish.
Got pics of "Frankie"
Test rides are mandatory. wahooo. I shall GoPro that for u my brother on YouTube. I'll scrub in the new skins,then see what she'll do.hehehe.
Very nice, Rubb!
:bowdown:
My dad had a 350Four just like in the pic and seemed like he was always replacing the exhausts - rusting out , anyways i will always remember him taking me for rides when i was a kid and thought it was the best :D
:thumbsup: They can be little screamers 4 sure Cantab. Cool memories eh? Glad I could spark those.
Rubb.

Going to the "darkside" for your turbo, finally? :devil:
There was 4 or 5 of us talkin bout that very thing. :laugh:
I had a buddy with a 1973 HD Sportster...so cheap he ran a square cornered VolksVoggen tire. Shhees. It shifted on the right,braked on the left. Every time he was drunk and riding,he thought he was just tapping the rear brake.But he was gearing down. Whiiiirrrr screech. LOL. Go for an' upshift with his foot under the brake pedal.

Awesome...just awesome.

Anywhere out your way for ice cream...my treat?

Rubb.

There was 4 or 5 of us talkin bout that very thing. :laugh:
I had a buddy with a 1973 HD Sportster...so cheap he ran a square cornered VolksVoggen tire. Shhees. It shifted on the right,braked on the left. Every time he was drunk and riding,he thought he was just tapping the rear brake.But he was gearing down. Whiiiirrrr screech. LOL. Go for an' upshift with his foot under the brake pedal.View attachment 1621975
Awesome...just awesome.View attachment 1621976
Anywhere out your way for ice cream...my treat? View attachment 1621977

View attachment 1621977 Rubb.
Hi. I an old Sportster with left brake right shift.

Ill tell you one thing, a lot of those machines def dont belong in the junk pile
"Good day Sir,my name is Rubb and I'll be assisting you today with the purchase of any one of these fine machines."
"If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask."
"Here at Rubb's Reliable Relic's our mission is to......"

Judge Judy!!!!
I LOVE her . . . had the hots for her when I was older :moon:
Jesus Christ-Church...you sick pervert. Sleeping with her,at her age,that would be the same as committing necrophilia...that's a major crime some states.

And now I'm thinking about Rubb's junk.......

View attachment 1622118
Another sicko....'buser....I just can't see us being friends any more.
From this day forward you know I'll always be thinking...
I knew there was something odd
about that guy.
That video I took of you on that fishing trip should have been a clue.

I mean some people are just like "that"....

Rubb

Back