Help with Traffic Ticket - Dinwiddie County VA

el stumpo

Registered
Not for me, for my nephew.

He was coming from Ft. Lee in VA to visit me in NC. He's on I85S in dinwiddie county doing the 10over when (looking at the ticket) a sheriff catches him on radar doing 80 in a 70.

Even though he is military and had a Guam driver's license, he writes him the ticket. I won't waste time and effort about my opinions of this LEO.

And recos for a traffic atty in VA? I presume there are points, anyone know how many?

Thanks!

Ok, should have looked first, but it's 4 pts in VA
Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

No difference between 10 and 20 over.

Reckless Driving/Speeding

* Reckless driving - failure to stop before entering a highway (11 years)
* Speeding (5 years)
* Speeding 10-14 mph above the posted speed limit (5 years)
* Speeding 15-19 mph above the posted speed limit (5 years)
* Speeding 10-19 mph above the posted speed limit (5 years)

He'll be stationed at Ft. Bragg, I see that this will hurt him in NC

North Carolina and Virginia both take part in the Drivers License Compact (DLC) which requires member states to exchange traffic violation information back to the state in which the motorist receiving the ticket is licensed.

state that he is licensed? sounds like he has a Guam driver's license.....so those points still won't matter

Yeah Virginia suxs when it comes to getting tickets. Last ticket I got in VA was reckless driving ticket. I was speeding but the cop radared the guy that blew by me and then wrote me the ticket for his speed which really suxed.

state that he is licensed? sounds like he has a Guam driver's license.....so those points still won't matter

I thought about that.. is it possible it will follow him when he gets his NC license? I don't know how, but at 80mph, if those points show up, his insurance will go through the roof

.. Also thought about just telling him to ignore it and have them send the summons to Guam :laugh:

I thought about that.. is it possible it will follow him when he gets his NC license? I don't know how, but at 80mph, if those points show up, his insurance will go through the roof

.. Also thought about just telling him to ignore it and have them send the summons to Guam :laugh:
if he ignors it he will end up with a bench warrent wich will follow hime forever untill they catch him

+1 on the bench warrant.. Best bet is to slow down and just run at the posted limit.. Why bother to speed with all the highway robbery going on between the LEO's and insurance industry.

in VA 80+ is wreckless driving. He will have to go to court. It is a tax so be prepared to pay. If you get a lawyer you may be able to get the charge reduced but if convicted it is 6 points and a misdemeanor offense.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back