Help with a really small puncture in rear tire

Shilpan

Registered
Guys,
I have a really really tini wini puncture in my rear tire. It takes about few days for air to completely come out. Any suggestion on what to do? Will a flat fix do it? tire has about 300 miles on it so wouldnt want to change it.

<!--EDIT|Shilpan
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155735434 -->

it's touching ground an not in the thread. But again it's really small one.

<!--EDIT|Shilpan
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155737631 -->

GJoker had a staple in his tire.. he pulled it out, and it lost air in about 3 days. We aired it up, went for a 50 mile ride. It held air and has held air ever since.

::Shrug::

I don't know if the rubber got hot enough to fill the hole or what. He isn't trusting it totally but it's held for about a month now.

He needs a new tire anyway, it's on the list.

found this on ebay, tell me what you guys think.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RIDE-ON-NO-FLAT-Suzuki-Savage-Volusia-Marauder-Intruder_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35578QQ
ihZ002QQitemZ4638091047QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....meZWD1V</a>

<span style='color:darkblue'>In the tread area! Make sure what ever put the hole there is out! Plug from the outside with $2.00 kit from ?? anywhere! Fibre (radial) type, with screw it in tool. That small no prob! I have run em many times! Just act accordingly!!! No above 100mph runs!!!  Or get a new one! Patching from the inside is a bit better but not much! </span>
beerchug.gif
<span style='color:darkblue'></span>

do you really think i should plug it as the leak is really small. i mean it takes days for air to come out. Wouldn't a tire sealant do it?

<!--EDIT|Shilpan
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155739995 -->

found this on ebay, tell me what you guys think.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RIDE-ON-NO-FLAT-Suzuki-Savage-Volusia-Marauder-Intruder_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ35578QQ

ihZ002QQitemZ4638091047QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot....meZWD1V</a>
<span style='color:orangered'>Don't even think about it!!! Slime!!!  How about the balance??? This stuff is ok for slow moving construction equipment that can have a pocket full of nails in em but on a HI/PO M/C like the Busa!!!! </span>  
rock.gif

Not only would I not trust my life to a patched tire, I wouldn't knowingly ride alongside someone who did. My advice: Bight the bullet and buy a tire. There's a reason bike/tire shops refuse to plug mc tires.
umnik.gif

<!--EDIT|newmill
Reason for Edit: None given...|1155740199 -->

do you really think i should plug it as the leak is really small. i mean it takes days for air to come out. Wouldn't a tire sealant do it?
My apologies for misuse of terminology. I didn't mean "plug". I mean take the best method to close the hole.

Regardless of method, I still say no high speed runs. If you are able to purchase a new tire, do so.

Had a nail in mine, used a repair kit from the auto store and it holds air fine. And I keep it under 100.

I was in the same boat as you. Fresh 014 with a nail in it. I just plugged it.

On my R6 I actually rode with a stout short screw in one of my tires for about a month ( I installed to plug a hole) (by the way not recommended), but it worked. But seriously is the chance of that tire going out worth the $250. I've cut a rear tire at 90+ mph and it was not fun.(didn't go down though, not the screw incident). I would never take the chance with that ever again with the possibility of a bad tire. Plus in my mind the factory tires sux azz anyway.

I had the same bad luck. 2 weeks after I bought my preowned Busa I put on a set of Pilot Powers. I put about 1500 miles on em and BLAM....I picked up a torx driver bit in my rear tire. It didnt fully penetrate the tire and it didnt leak when I pulled it out but....of course I replaced the tire. Im dying to patch/plug the "old" tire but I wont cuz I dont wanna DIE!

Buy a new tire and toss the old one. Just my .02

With a high quality patch and the right equipment (extruding rubber heat gun, handheld cleaning tool and sealing roller) from the inside you could do it. Just not sure of one made strictly for motorcycles or where to get it.

At Michelin we were trained how to properly repair commercial tractor trailer tires from the inside and those tires run psi at dangerous levels - one of those blow and it could possibly rip you in half.

Sometimes it's worth getting a road hazard warranty when buying your tires.

Far as I know, most mc tires dont have road hazard warranties available....except for some brands like Avon. The reason why is that the rubber is soooo much softer than car tires and is very vulnerable to road hazards. I couldnt find a tire other than Avon with a warranty. And tractors dont go 186.4 mph. I guess Im up to about .04 now huh?

Back