HELP...This has stumped 2 dealers, and I am bikele

The problem your having is way over my head...
biggrin.gif

It sounds like you may have ignition arc on either the stator cover or in your puter box, even possible you may have crossover arc coming from an ignition sensor...check it out

If it's inside a cover, you might be able to see the arc tracks. Sort of like a welder leaves, but vefy faint. You'll be hard pressed to find an arc track within a connector though.

What "exactly" have you tried already?

Are you 100% certain that the mechanic knew what he was doing with the cams? It doesn't sound like he did, IF, you did in-fact tell him that the engine was running fine before your cosmetic upgrades. That sounds more like a mechanic that's grasping at straws for an answer because he doesn't have the troubleshooting skills necessary to do his job.

I would suggest un-doing what "you" did, and then take it to another shop if it doesn't fix it.

Good Luck

You have answered your own question. The root cause is the chrome stator cover. Not sure but does the OEM cover have a coating on the inside or is it just raw cast aluminum? If it does have a coating and the chrome one does not then there you have it. Otherwise do as others have mentioned and get some REAL electrical parts cleaner and flush that WD-40 out of everything. Odds are that when you sprayed WD-40 you contaminated the connectors with the residue you washed out and created conditions ideal for short circuiting the harnesses. That may have led to catastrophic electronics damage and thus your problem. This is just a theory (based on extensive electronics training) so don't be alarmed. Take a systematic approach. Retrace your steps and undo those modes along the same timeline that you did them. Be a scientist and write everything down in a action effect format.
This sounds like something that happened to me years ago after steamcleaning my Mustang's engine. Water managed to infiltrate the distributor cap and caused a bunch of arcing when the engine got hot enough to steam the water. The car stopped running and I had to figure out why. So I took the systematic approach and found the water and arc tracks in the distributor cap, cleaned and dried it, then drove the car home.

Back