help on 99 subframe

Tigerbay

Registered
Hello all ,, i am about to buy my 99 Busa only ( 7g ) mileage,, and am concerned with the ally subframe,,, how easy are they to change and can i push a dealer to change this,,,also i have read loads of great info on this very friendly forum,, but am concerned that i may be buying a bike that will need constant work, going by all the trouble shooter posts i have read,, i dont mind getting hands dirty at all but not every day,,or am i just flapping,,,yours truly ,,,BUSA FANATIC..

You might can convince your dealer that its a safety issue thats been corrected by suzuki in the manufacturing process, if not, get one from someone here or Ebay. Replacement is not that hard, just start by removing the seat, then the rear plastic section(while doing this, disconnect the rear lights and signals) then I think you need to remove the bolt connecting the pipes to the rear pegs, then remove the pegs. I think now you're ready to remove the bolts that bolt the subframe to the bike. Some one else want to chime in here? or do I have it right? NJ.

You might can convince your dealer that its a safety issue thats been corrected by suzuki in the manufacturing process, if not, get one from someone here or Ebay. Replacement is not that hard, just start by removing the seat, then the rear plastic section(while doing this, disconnect the rear lights and signals) then I think you need to remove the bolt connecting the pipes to the rear pegs, then remove the pegs. I think now you're ready to remove the bolts that bolt the subframe to the bike. Some one else want to chime in here? or do I have it right? NJ.
Suzuki might have replaced it only if you were the original purchaser, but you will be able to trade your aluminum one for a steel one on just about any site. They are wanted by drag racers and people that dont carry passengers. I'm taking my steel one off and going with an aluminum one I purchased. NJ has all the steps right.

its easy to swap, straight forward nuts n bolts.

Why bother thou...unless... yer wife/gf is near the 200 pound mark, or you wanna strap a couple hundred pounds of gear on it.

Had my Busa a couple years,ally sub frame, carry my lil house mouse(125 pounds) sometimes she wears a pack too.

other 99-00 fug-ups: fuel pump(piece of krap)

check the triple tree for recall stickers, there were some other shiddy things...but, I'm drawin' a blank.

ahh thats great,, maybe i will leave it on for a bit,,,my daughter will be pillion now n then n she is 5'11'' 140lbs n im 6'1'' 15 stone ,,hope she holds up,,,,,,,, the Busa's had the replacement cam chain tensioner care of dealership ,,but no fuel pump or report of idler gear problems,, any suggestions?? thanx guys

Hey im trying to go aluminum ill trade you my steel for you aluminum

ahh thats great,, maybe i will leave it on for a bit,,,my daughter will be pillion now n then n she is 5'11'' 140lbs n im 6'1'' 15 stone ,,hope she holds up,,,,,,,, the Busa's had the replacement cam chain tensioner care of dealership ,,but no fuel pump or report of idler gear problems,, any suggestions?? thanx guys
you'll be fine. The stock exhaust helps to carry the load aswell.

You will have probs with the '99 fuel pump. It has a fiber filter within' that starts to disintegrate, then it clogs the injectors... garantee'd.
There are a couple fixes, let me/us know when yer there, it'll start to sputter an' cut out at various rpm's.
Ahh yes, the cam chain tensioner, they are up to model 3 or 4 now I believe(Zook tensioners have always been krap) I skipped the bull$hit an' tossed in an' APE manual tensioner.
Prob solved.

Starter clutch gears... they can blow a hole in yer cases.

Push the starter button for 4-5 seconds at a time...at the most.

If it doesn't start, wait a couple seconds before trying again. Dont be impatient with this... wait between tries.

anything else mate... just give us a shout.

hav a good 1...RSD.

Back