Help installing normally open kill switch lanyard

Bikeguy

Registered
Well, I finally decided to enter the 20th century. I was quite happy with my 1984 Sabre 1100, which I've had the last 10 years, but wanted to see how much of a technology jump there had been between then and now.

HOLY COW!

I picked up a stock 2005 Busa about a month and a half ago.

The improvement is amazing.

Anyway, I have a chance to go drag racing on Tuesday. I dug out a kill switch lanyard I had and tried to install it on the bike. Only after it worked the opposite of how I thought it should did I check the polarity. It's normally open, only closing after I would fall off the bike. My search on this site only showed installations of normally closed switches.

I can't figure out how to install this so it works. I've been impressed with the creative ideas I've seen on here, and was hoping someone more creative than myself could point out how to use what I have.

If not, I'll swing by the bike shop.

I called the place where I'll be racing and they said I don't need one until I go under 10.99, and even then they'll just ask me to slow down.
laugh.gif

I'm going to need to add one by September, as I plan on heading to Maxton, NC and do some top speed stuff with ECTA.

I rode the Sabre for the first time this year a few days ago, and was convinced the carbs had clogged, but then realized that's how fast it always has been, just the bar has been raised significantly!

LOL wish i could help but welcome to the board and let us know when your heading to maxton got a bunch of good guys here good luck man
beerchug.gif
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

The are some really good drag racers on the board. Hopefully one of them will be able to help you out.

I don't know of a way to use the old style normally open switches on a busa.

The nicest ones I have seen is the PMR switch but they are not the cheapest. I'm running one on my bike.

PMR is a sponsor here and a couple of the other sponsors deal in his products.

As for the wiring, I suggest running the wires into the throttle side housing. Cut one of the existing wires going to the factory switch and wire it in series.

http://www.pmrcomponents.com/pmrweb_043.html

Here is the one installed on my bike, with the lanyard off of it.

gps1.jpg

The kill switch is an extention of the ignition switch, just a little longer route of the hot wire. If you don't have the right tools (and patience) to make your kill switch fit snug, your in for a world of head aches and blown ETs. because the vibration from your Busa will cause intermittent shorts and your bike will cut in and out when your on the gas. So if your not sure, get a reputable RACE SHOP to install it. It will be money well spent. Good Luck at Maxton.

Well, I never installed a switch and the tech inspector never looked at my bike at all.

I had some electrical components in a baggie, in case I needed to fab a temporary one.

Ended up starting with an 11.8 at 133, and slowly progressed to a 10.8 at 136 after 5 runs.

Obviously, the bike is more capable than the rider.

I was quite pleased, as this sure beat the low 13s at 112 my 84 Sabre ran.

It will be nice to have an extra 3/4 of a mile!
jump9.gif

Back