new switches installed

SANDFLEA85

Registered
I just installed chrome switches from XXX CHROMING (so far not real happy with them)
told them it was a 02 LE (they asked) so i got the switches 2 weeks later and they are different then the ones i have on there.there is a yellow pass switch on the rear of the clutch side switch and a hazzard light switch on the brake side that i didnt have before.he tols me everything should work as normal and these switches wont do anything,well i wasnt real happy i had something different then what i started with and esp if they wont do anything,so i just installed them and now my headlights will only work when i press and hold in the pass switch and my gauge lights only work when the high beam is on...now im really not happy...i took it apart and shunted out the bypass switch,this will leave the lights on but the gauge lights still only come on when the high beams are on....any ideas?
rock.gif
? im pretty much fed up at this point
guns.gif

The left control should work fine, the wiring harness will have to be modified for the right control to work. Unplug the right control and see if that fixes your problem.

Devl-
I added the hazards and flash to pass to my '01 I took apart my harnesses on both sides to rebuild my harness. Let me look through the schemeatics... I ill get back with you...

MCM

Can you post pics of the wiring debacle, it is probably something you can walk away from and come back to with a clearer head.
thumb_up.gif

Like MC said the pass switch is a bonus that only newer models have

I was looking through the schematcs and I can'tfind any reason way your gauge lighting wouldn't work... I need to look some more today, but I can't see what the problem might be...

thanks fellas...the link above is a good link but I would just be happy haveing my lights work right now..I tried some things this morning and still no good...cut and re-spliced various wires,im back to where i started and this is what i have

the only way to get the lights on is to press and hold the yellow pass button,even at that the highbeam is always on,when i press the highbeam button the regular running light comes on and then the gauge lights come on...i compared harnesses and everything looks fine.im wondering if i knocked something loose fishing it behind the gauge cluster,im getting ready to pull the nose off,but im thinking not since the lights do infact come on....wtf

You made out good them are better switches.. I also did this upgrade and made it work with no issues.. just follow the instructions provided by JJ and MC you'll be fine.. Thats what i did, Oh and thanks guys..
bowdown.gif

I GOT EM WORKING,THE WERE SETUP WRONG IN THE HARNESS,ONCE I FIGURED THAT OUT IT WAS A MATTER OF RE SPLICING 4 WIRES...NOT SOMETHING I BARGAINED FOR FOR THE $200 I PAID,BUT ITS DONE NOW,BIKE IS BACK TOGETHER AND AS ALWAYS WHEN DOING MODS i LEARNED SOMETHING NEW,SO IT WASNT A TOTAL LOSE...THANK FOR EVERYONES HELP

DevlDog,
Did you find that you needed to splice wires or coul you have simply pulled the pins and reseated them in the connectors? I wired up both sides and found that I had to do both... After looking at the schemetics, wires in the wrong pin holes is about the only thing that would make sence... I am glad you got it all working!

Back