HELP: I believe the MOTOR is going

Ross1

Registered
Well, went out riding yesterday and heard a knocking sound while having a spirited ride :whistle:, so I pulled over and checked the oil. It was alittle low so I added more to make it home, but it did not make it. The knocking got louder and then the oil light can on so I pulled over and it .

The bike: 03 busa, 25,371 miles, high mount HMF, speedo healer

Should I
1. Go stocker and if so on a scale from 1 to 10 what is the level of difficultly(i.e. has anyone put a stroker motor together by themselves)
2. Used motor and if so how do you ensure you are getting a good motor

What price range should I except?

Help!!!!!!

building ANY motor "stroker" or stocker is a skill.... unless you have a fairly good knowledge of engine assy, I personally feel a motorcycle engine is a bad place to learn about valve clearances, piston/ring fit etc..

Fortunately, there are a number of good "bolt on" suppliers of the big bore kits etc but frankly if you gotta ask about this type of stuff? you MIGHT be better served to pay someone to do it for you.. a few $$ now could save you big $$$$ later..

if you are uber mechanically inclined, go for it but take your time and RTFM...

Good luck with the build. I know someone with a 1720 stroker but agree with Randy :beerchug:

What things should I look for in purchasing a used motor?
I would strongly suggest getting yours checked out first.. if it has not blown up.. it could just need a round of bearings or a piston replaced.. heck for that matter, it could have some carbon trapped at top of piston making it knock..

any of these is going to be cheaper and a better bet than buying some "unknown" motor that may have the same or worse issues..

IF You buy used... go with a shop with a warranty

WAY too much scratch to just throw money out and hope for the best...

lmk your budget I can build you one and ship it or send your core in...

Well i don't have that kind of money sitting around, but I want a dependable bike. I have looked all day for a used motors and they range from 1500 and up. Do you have a general ballpark figure for a rebuild.

It depends on how bad yours is and if you want light,none or big hp mods....

Get a Flour Sifter and drain the oil. Put the Flour sifter in the oil stream while it is drainig. It will catch any trash and Bearing material to give you a better idea of what is going on. My Busa has a 1525cc motor with a 150 shot of go juice and I ride it on the street.

Sounds like your looking for an excuse to upgrade the engine.

Have you opened the engine to see what is really going on? Could be the timing chain adjuster, a bad connecting rod bearing, bad oil pump, bad spark plug not firing hot enough to burn much fuel... The list goes on. Find out what the problem is, then decide what you want to do. Besides, if the oil pump is failing and you build a stroker and reuse the oil pump, it will be a waste of money. The built motor is going to fail anyway. Find out what is happening first.

How much is a little low on oil. If it was down petty good and the Spirited riding pumped the pan dry the motor could be hurt pretty bad. I had to add to mine yesterday and I put in 1/3 of a quart any more than half a quart would worry me in high rpm runs.

Not looking for an excuse, I am looking for a place to start without getting the bike stuck in a shop and bent of the rail. My plan on draining the oil and checking for shavings.

It was low a qt which proves to be a valuable lesson, check all the vital signs before you ride.

It was low a qt which proves to be a valuable lesson, check all the vital signs before you ride.

1QT low won't have any real effect on your engine, even under severe conditions one quart low means there is still plenty of lube being cooled doing it's job. Sure it's not ideal, but it's unlikely that being a quart low caused any problems.

It depends on how bad yours is and if you want light,none or big hp mods....

WOW... A post from Daniel that almost implies money? :rofl: ya know, if a guy did not know better, he might think you were just here to help guys instead of empyting pockets with gratuitous marketing posts... :laugh: BTW, transmission will be in the mail tomorrow.. thanks again for all the help !

1QT low won't have any real effect on your engine, even under severe conditions one quart low means there is still plenty of lube being cooled doing it's job. Sure it's not ideal, but it's unlikely that being a quart low caused any problems.

Let me give you a guys # that is close to you so you can tell him that's why his motor didn't fail...he has ran 2 low in the last 6 months and tells me owe it was just a qt low,a qt low cold is not same as a qt hot.....Do you realize literally how much oil is flowing in the system and actually in the pan when oil is a qt low in a motorcycle?

Oil%20Flow%20Diagram.jpg

Back