HELP!HELPClutch Sping Bolt Broke

PJ267

Registered
Was doing the fix on the CLutch Bolts and the Bolt that hold the springs in place on the clutch pressure plate snapped inside the rod. How much Lbs of pressure, i thought it was 7lbs?? Is it just hand tight? Had to order a set?? Please let me know who much pressure to apply!! thanks Is it 7lbs or inches? thanks

Wow, I did this one about three weeks ago. Had no trouble with mine. Sorry for your issues.

I'm using a CLICK torque, I think Im going to snug the next ones until they are tight! If I just tighten them with 3/8 wrench until they dont move is that about 7lbs? thanks

Last edited:
My question is, if I tighten it down with a regular 3/8 drive until tight is that fine? or 7lbs some what loose? thanks

7#s with a torgue wrence if they back out it could do 1,000's in damage to the clutch/motor

So I need to buy I torque wrench in inch, the one I have is in punds and snapped the bolt. I will tighten it down with a 7lbs (84inch), I just wanted to know if that means the screw is seated down into the bolt,thanks

My ft. pound torque wrench won't go down to under 30 lbs. You really need an inch pound wrench to work on this small stuff. I think your question is can you snug the screw with a 3/8 drive. snug it till it bottoms then torque it. you should be fine. Good Luck.

7 lbs aint much, but its really hard to tell if you have it tight enough without a torque wrench. When you turn wrenches as long as I have you can get a feel of how tight a certain bolt needs to be but when it's small stuff, it's easy to over tighten them. Some people snug tighter than others so best to invest in a torque wrench. You'll probably need it more than this one time anyway. Got mine from Sears, not that expensive.

I have a lbs torque wrench that goes up to 250lbs, but I never heard it click so it broke the bolt? When I attached the clutch cover back on those are 7lbs too, do use just a new gasket (and sealer??) thanks

I have a lbs torque wrench that goes up to 250lbs, but I never heard it click so it broke the bolt? When I attached the clutch cover back on those are 7lbs too, do use just a new gasket (and sealer??) thanks

Click torque wrenches will kill small fasteners- unless you have one with a real low range. Then an old beam type might be better. If I had a dollar for every time Ive read on various MC forums about somebody twisting out a steel oil plug (ect) in an aluminum pan or chassis I'd be rich. Use good judgement with your hand on low pound torque fasteners.

Back