help fixing fairing!

RussellJ

Rick Rollin'
Registered
I have an undertail that has a hole in it from the previous owners tire rubbing it. I am going to patch it and have it painted. What kind of material should I get to patch and smooth it up nice so it can be painted? Bondo is too heavy I've been told
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:
Depending on the size of the hole. Their are different materials out there to use,,,It depends on how big or jagged it is,,, sounds like a fiberglass compound would to the trick ,,unless its big,,then { If you able to reach inside,,,,,,} patch it their first witha patch and epoxy and smear a small coat of filler on the outside and sand it down after it cures,,,,,

From the pictures the guy sent it looks large. 2 or 3 inch diameter
Posted via Mobile Device

A small webbing patch that they use on cars and to patch drywall holes is cheap and effective,,you can buy a small roll at walmart,autozone or home depo,lowes,,,,you have to have something like the webbing to smear mud[filler] on,,,,, the webbing{looks like a roll of screen,,] is tacking and very thin,, ,cut your patch,,put in over the hole,,or if you can get your hand inside,,but it really doesnt matter,,,,ive down walls and when I was done ,,,you couldnt see the patch,,,,then smear your mud,,let it cure,,,when apllying the compound use a small thin piece of flexable plastic,,,milk jug or cut out the side of a empty qt oil jug,,they work well,,,what ever you have,,use that to smear your compound filler,,,,let it harden [ cure] then sand it down ,,,if you get it close,,,make sure to use fine sandpaper,,,,

Last edited:
check out youtube...quiet a few HOW-TOs/tutorials there. here's one

Last edited by a moderator:
I would patch it from the inside with some firberglass the use one of the many plastic weld compunds to fill it in from the front side then sand

Back