Prep fairing for paint, filling in rash and possibly frame slider holes

stepaukob

Registered
I'm thinking of paint at the end of this season. Ideally I would like to prep (filling scratches, wetsanding, and primer) and just bring the plastics/tank in to have someone shoot it. I'm not looking for a showroom quality paint job as I don't have a garage to store and it would be a waste if I were to get one.

I attached the worst of the rash. My question is, is this something that could be sanded out or should it be filled (and then sanded)? Also, the previous owner cut holes in the fairing for frame sliders which I'm thinking of filling in. Probably fiberglass behind the holes and a skim coat of the flexible glazing putty? Lastly, I've heard people say that rattle can primer is ok because it's all going to be wetsanded before paint anyway. Any comments on this?

What would be a fair price for paint if I did all the prep? I'm just looking to get it to one color. As mentioned above, I'm not looking for showroom quality, my bike see's the elements and it would be a waste for me to spend a lot of money.

100_1605.jpg

I'm thinking of paint at the end of this season. Ideally I would like to prep (filling scratches, wetsanding, and primer) and just bring the plastics/tank in to have someone shoot it. I'm not looking for a showroom quality paint job as I don't have a garage to store and it would be a waste if I were to get one.

I attached the worst of the rash. My question is, is this something that could be sanded out or should it be filled (and then sanded)? Also, the previous owner cut holes in the fairing for frame sliders which I'm thinking of filling in. Probably fiberglass behind the holes and a skim coat of the flexible glazing putty? Lastly, I've heard people say that rattle can primer is ok because it's all going to be wetsanded before paint anyway. Any comments on this?

What would be a fair price for paint if I did all the prep? I'm just looking to get it to one color. As mentioned above, I'm not looking for showroom quality, my bike see's the elements and it would be a waste for me to spend a lot of money.

i have used fiberglass like that a few times with no problems but you also might want to consider one of the plastic weld type epoxies then finish with poly flex or something like that.

Scratches like that can be sanded out. Something that light is hard to fill.. Looking like a good high fill primer would fill that right up.

quailty can primer will work but automotive activated primer is better. I have done both.. Matter of fact i did my 03 busa the thing with can primer and i did the 97 yzf 600 purple passion with can primer. My 03 was done 5 year ago and the 97 was done 3 years ago with no problems.

As for price I would say its going to start at around 500 just to get painted not including any extra work.

Wish you was closer i would do it for you

I hear ya.

I'll have to do some research on "plastic weld type epoxies". If my bike was garaged I may be a little more picky but putting a bike cover and off is just not good for paint. I briefly thought of Maaco but I've read posts where people say they use cheap paint so i'd rather spend more on a better paint.

That's cool about sanding and only having to use a fill primer. Sanding keeps my head distracted. I'm still not sure I'm going to fill in the larger frame slider holes but the guy who put them on orginally ended putting them on unevenly and did a **itty job.

I know prices vary a lot. Just to give an idea, I was thinking of a color that I wouldn't have to wash and wax all of the time. I was almost thinking of satin or flat gray, green, or tan, that way surface scrathces and/or dirt wouldn't really affect the overall look. I want it to look unique but I also don't want to draw attention to me.

I hear ya.

I'll have to do some research on "plastic weld type epoxies". If my bike was garaged I may be a little more picky but putting a bike cover and off is just not good for paint. I briefly thought of Maaco but I've read posts where people say they use cheap paint so i'd rather spend more on a better paint.

That's cool about sanding and only having to use a fill primer. Sanding keeps my head distracted. I'm still not sure I'm going to fill in the larger frame slider holes but the guy who put them on orginally ended putting them on unevenly and did a **itty job.

I know prices vary a lot. Just to give an idea, I was thinking of a color that I wouldn't have to wash and wax all of the time. I was almost thinking of satin or flat gray, green, or tan, that way surface scrathces and/or dirt wouldn't really affect the overall look. I want it to look unique but I also don't want to draw attention to me.

I use the platic weld sold at auto zone.. Works fine.. I know some of the more exspensive ones need an ahision promotor.

colors like reds, silvers and oranges will cost more then other colors

I use the platic weld sold at auto zone.. Works fine.. I know some of the more exspensive ones need an ahision promotor.

colors like reds, silvers and oranges will cost more then other colors

As for price I would say its going to start at around 500 just to get painted not including any extra work.

wow! the painting materials alone would be atleast 500,(for the busa) and that depends on what color it is... I did a favor for $700 on this gsxr
DSC07763.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC07332.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN18611-1.jpg
[/IMG]
the buel had metalic and yellow pearl in it.. I did this for 550.. I used high end paint and clear.. I just dont paint them anymore because it's just not worth it for me.. you could use some real cheap paint, and you'll see it chip off piece by piece.. I am painting my corvette this summer..
I'll post it up when done...

wow! the painting materials alone would be atleast 500,(for the busa) and that depends on what color it is... I did a favor for $700 on this gsxr
DSC07763.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC07332.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN18611-1.jpg
[/IMG]
the buel had metalic and yellow pearl in it.. I did this for 550.. I used high end paint and clear.. I just dont paint them anymore because it's just not worth it for me.. you could use some real cheap paint, and you'll see it chip off piece by piece.. I am painting my corvette this summer..
I'll post it up when done...

I do not know where or what paint your buying but I just painted a busa it took about a quart and a half of color and about a half gallon of clear and i know the guy paid less then 300 for the material.

You do not have to buy clear that cost 200 to 300 bucks a gallon to get a great result and have a product that will last long

I do not know where or what paint your buying but I just painted a busa it took about a quart and a half of color and about a half gallon of clear and i know the guy paid less then 300 for the material.

You do not have to buy clear that cost 200 to 300 bucks a gallon to get a great result and have a product that will last long

very good point.. a gallon of clear with reducer and activater is 550.00 at bodyshop cost.. as far a how much color you would need to paint a bike like a busa.. a quart and a half can go a very long way!!! the last 2 cars painted was a challenger and a corvette and each full pass took 1 quart.. so figure 3 coats 3 quarts.. I dont know how in the world you can use that much base, perhaps a full size gun with a primer tip??? the gun pressure so high the paint is bouncing of the plastics? I use a high end paint line, depending on color it will cost 300 alone in paint supplies, and this would be for your typical gsxr, R1 ect, small fairing bikes.. I just cant see doing all the prep work to throw on some cheap paint.. you throw that much base on, and later on get a nice chip or scratch, it will take longer to feather and fill that what it would take to fix a scratch on a bike with less material. there are so many reasons why to use quality paint...
Photo0064.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC05236.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC07394.jpg
[/IMG]

Bottom line quality paint and a quality paint gun gives you a finish like these bikes I done.. lets not forget experience...

Originally Posted by Bowdoc

You do not have to buy clear that cost 200 to 300 bucks a gallon to get a great result and have a product that will last long...

I do need to mention, you say it took about a half of a gallon of clear????:rofl: for the buel I would use 7 oz of clear, thats 3 coats, what is reccomended is 1.5 coats.. (the clear I use) I always do 3 coats, unless I want it to look like a plate of glass is covering the color I'll add more....

You do not have to buy clear that cost 200 to 300 bucks a gallon to get a great result and have a product that will last long...

I do need to mention, you say it took about a half of a gallon of clear????:rofl: for the buel I would use 7 oz of clear, thats 3 coats, what is reccomended is 1.5 coats.. (the clear I use) I always do 3 coats, unless I want it to look like a plate of glass is covering the color I'll add more....

I think you spent to much time in the booth painting with no mask

Per the paint spec a sport bike takes about a quart and a pint to do the bike the same color. I did a color change so it took a little more. about a half gallon

as for the clear it took about the same becuase I did and extra on the tank

You do you

and I will do me

:rofl:

I have found that most guy that talk like you cant paint for crap

Have a nice day

how you like my ride

and yeah my none painting butt painted it. yeah looks like crap don't it
:lol:

CIMG0832.jpg

Last edited:
very good point.. a gallon of clear with reducer and activater is 550.00 at bodyshop cost.. as far a how much color you would need to paint a bike like a busa.. a quart and a half can go a very long way!!! the last 2 cars painted was a challenger and a corvette and each full pass took 1 quart.. so figure 3 coats 3 quarts.. I dont know how in the world you can use that much base, perhaps a full size gun with a primer tip??? the gun pressure so high the paint is bouncing of the plastics? I use a high end paint line, depending on color it will cost 300 alone in paint supplies, and this would be for your typical gsxr, R1 ect, small fairing bikes.. I just cant see doing all the prep work to throw on some cheap paint.. you throw that much base on, and later on get a nice chip or scratch, it will take longer to feather and fill that what it would take to fix a scratch on a bike with less material. there are so many reasons why to use quality paint...
Photo0064.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC05236.jpg
[/IMG]
DSC07394.jpg
[/IMG]

Bottom line quality paint and a quality paint gun gives you a finish like these bikes I done.. lets not forget experience...

Sata with a 1.4 tip

sound like you stingy with the paint

Specs for paint on a car is about a gallon

As for clear i lay it on wet as i can get it and not run it.

550 for clear like i said you been painting to long without a mask.

Yes i would pay 550 for clear for a show car that was going to be in a tailor but why would you pay that for something your going to ride and enjoy. thats just silly my man.

You can find some very good clears like

MS by utec
transstar
Caliber (dupont nockoff)

for around 120 to 130 a gollon per set up.

Like i siad i am glad you feel the way you do. Becuase of guys like you people are beating down my door to get they stuff painted so please do not change how you feel

thank you bro thank you for all the busniess

Tell all your painter freinds to feel the same way
:laugh:
:lol:

Yeah that 140 a gallon base and 126 a gallon (ativator included in price) clear looks horrible.

yuck

CIMG0667.jpg

post CIMG0772.jpg

Last edited:

i think I hear crickets

rofl

:thumbsup:

i think I hear crickets

rofl

:thumbsup:

I just read this crap you posted:rofl::lol:..
I am embarassed for you, after reading your B.S
I truly cant and wont respond to such stupidity, about painting to you..
all I do is read your post over on this subject and laugh my @$$ off, time and time again...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: and if I forgot to mention during all the laughing :moon:

hey can I bubble wrap my plastics to you??? very brilliant:laugh:...

now you'll hear crickets...

I just read this crap you posted:rofl::lol:..
I am embarassed for you, after reading your B.S
I truly cant and wont respond to such stupidity, about painting to you..
all I do is read your post over on this subject and laugh my @$$ off, time and time again...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: and if I forgot to mention during all the laughing :moon:

hey can I bubble wrap my plastics to you??? very brilliant:

now you'll hear crickets...

:rofl::rofl:: Right to the bank

Thank you

crickets..

Some people pay more money for stuff not because they need to, they just like having the best products to start with. Starting with cheap materials is like putting a bald tire on cause a new one costs to much ..... Ill take the 1500 dollar paint job that lasts 10 years or i can a 500 dollar paint job with some lazzzzzzy clear coat and just get new paint jobs every 3 months :beerchug::thumbsup:

l_842de7f5001c4d3e80628e190eae2fe6.jpg

Last edited:
Back