helmet law thing

Earl,you are right,same thing is happening with gun control,first it was Saturday night special,then it was Assualt weapons, multi-clip"more than 10 rounds,Black Talon bullets,cop killer bullets,flash suppressiors,pistol grip,cheap hand gun,buy a gun a month and so on and so on....Next it will be super bikes,reduce horse power,smog check,no tampering with pipes/carbs.As far as Helmets goes next will be leg guards,crash bars on bikes,bright orange/yellow colored leather jackets/pants,helmets with flashing lights advertising future body parts donor,motorcycles painted only in international orange so that the car drivers can see you better and so on and so on.Accidents plus Lawsuits= Money = more laws passed to reduce losses for insurance companies which donates money to future politicans which = same circle of lies.Bottom line MONEY TALKS!!!!!!Tax dollars,insurance,
liablity.....

Here's a little info that was posted elsewhere today. This is a segment of the Hurt Report involving motorcycle accidents.
If anyone would like to see the entire report - shoot me an email.

[begin Hart Report segment]

41. Seventy-three percent of the accident involved motorcycle riders used no eye protection, and it is likely that the wind on the unprotected eyes contributed in impairment of vision which delayed hazard detection.

42. Approximately 50% of the motorcycle riders in traffic were using safety helmets but only 40% of the accident-involved motorcycle riders were wearing helmets at the time of the accident.

43. Voluntary safety helmet use by those accident-involved motorcycle riders was lowest for untrained, uneducated, young motorcycle riders on hot days and short trips.

44. The most deadly injuries to the accident victims were injuries to the chest and head.

45. The use of the safety helmet is the single critical factor in the prevention of reduction of head injury; the safety helmet which complies with FMVSS 218 is a significantly effective injury countermeasure.

46. Safety helmet use caused no attenuation of critical traffic sounds, no limitation of precrash visual field, and no fatigue or loss of attention; no element of accident causation was related to helmet use.

47. FMVSS 218 provides a high level of protection in traffic accidents, and needs modification only to increase coverage at the back of the head and demonstrate impact protection of the front of full facial coverage helmets, and insure all adult sizes for traffic use are covered by the standard.

48. Helmeted riders and passengers showed significantly lower head and neck injury for all types of injury, at all levels of injury severity.

49. The increased coverage of the full facial coverage helmet increases protection, and significantly reduces face injuries.

50. There is not liability for neck injury by wearing a safety helmet; helmeted riders had LESS neck injuries than unhelmeted riders. Only four minor injuries were attributable to helmet use, and in each case the helmet prevented possible critical or fatal head injury.

51. Sixty percent of the motorcyclists were not wearing safety helmets at the time of the accident. Of this group, 26% said they did not wear helmets because they were uncomfortable and inconvenient, and 53% simply had no expectation of accident involvement.

53. Less than 10% of the motorcycle riders involved in these accidents had insurance of any kind to provide medical care or replace property.

[End Hurt Report Segment]

This is from the Hurt Report. John Hurt is the leading motorcycle crash analyst.

Good work Todd!
Thats cool you have taken the time to help change peoples minds.
The choice is obvious and ultimately yours!

[This message has been edited by BUDDHA (edited 22 September 1999).]

Todd can you get me more information on John Hurt and what org/company he works for.I'd like to check on his numbers and find out where he is getting his information from and if the numbers reflect this year 1999 or from what year that the study was started and completed,what states did he cover.Just want to get the correct information for my own data base.Thanks

I'll ask my friend that provided this report and post again. He's an environmental safety engineer for a Tulsa natural gas & pipeline company and should have access to this info.

The claim of increased medical expenses for helmetless riders is incorrect at worst and dubious at best....Only the timing of one's death is altered.....Stats show that the majority of a person's lifetime medical expenses are experienced in the last six months of life before one's death....Since we all die, only the timing of our death is hastened..The magnitude of the expenses may be more or less depending on the nature of the illness/accident that causes our ultimate demise....In fact, I have seen several studies that show helmetless riders are the least expensive.....dead men don't need a great deal of medical care (Helmetless riders involved in accidents are disproportionally killed...imagine that!).

Personally, I always wear my Arai....but I understand the freedom issue....Given we all ride motorcycles...and given that motorcycles are disproportionally involved in fatal accidents...shouldn't the government ban motorcycles altogether to increase the general good and "lower medical costs"?

[This message has been edited by Scott (edited 24 September 1999).]

In my view the problem with the "freedom" issue is that it is presented with so much emotion and anger that the safety value of helmets gets drowned out. Someone not aware of the real protection a helmet provides might well conclude from all the "freedom" stuff (and from seeing one of those big ABATE rallies where no one has a helmet on) that, at best, helmet wearing has no useful purpose, or, at worst, is harmful to the wearer.

Everybody is "free" to jump off a cliff but just about everyone knows it will kill you - so only a few do it. Not everyone knows the importance of wearing a helmet so when "free" not to wear one, a lot don't.

[This message has been edited by sherm (edited 24 September 1999).]

I never tell anyone to wear a helmet. Personally I've been in five accidents and my worst injuries were in my first(no helmet)wreck. If you don't know you are better off wearing a full face QUALITY helmet, no amount of statistics will convince you to. Do what you want, as long as you are old enough to make that decision for yourself. But telling me that my helmet will break my neck the next time some pinhead slams into my bike is not gonna make me pitch my Arai either.

I think I owe it to myself to take whatever precautions I can to keep myself safe to do something stupid again the next week. Even if a helmet only increases the chances of surviving a wipeout at speed by 5%, I'll take that extra 5% and add it to the other benefits of leather and body armour etc. Lets look at reality, come off your bike at speed and collide with any solid object and your chances of survival are slim. If however you manage to avoid impact with cars, lamp posts, walls, tower blocks etc and you bounce/slide/roll on the tarmac, what you are wearing will greatly reduce your injuries.

For my money I will be adding body armour onto my leathers so I can continue to do those silly things on bikes. It'll be more expensive and I'll end up as a Mad Max look alike, but hell the odds will start looking more favourable :)

As a neuro/cardiac anesthesiologist who
has been practicing in a major trauma
center for nearly 20 years....
Wear the best helmet you can find !!!!
Not only head trauma but max-facial injury
is decreased.
now take 2 Busa and call in the am

Thanks Todd,I just got back from Street Vibrations in Reno,there where tons of Harleys a few sports bike and one guy on a Buell with a turbo,this guy was doing burn outs on the street in downtown Reno on Virgina St.,anyways I'm sure he was proud for wasting his tire standing still and doing burn outs instead of showing what real speed was all about on the open road or track.I told my wife I wish I brought my Hayabusa instead of my Harley,I would have been the only one up there with one.Anyways thanks again for the info.

KONRAD: Thanks for chiming in there. Please expand on your experience with un-helmeted riders and riders who wear less-than-the-best.

Pete,
Less than the best is a relative thing.
I dont wear a $600 helmet, just a good
full face fiberglass Shoei $230 or so.
A helmet is not full proof,people die
from head trauma wearing helmets,I dont
see those folks,they go directly to the
morgue.
My sense is though, of the trauma that
reaches us,the folks wearing helmets are in
a lot better shape than those not.
As to C-spine injury, you have to realize
that all sig. head trauma carries an approx.
10% incidence of neck[C-spine] injury.
There is no clear study that shows helmets
to increase this number and studies that
show them to be protective.
I think people should do what they want
but it helps to be able to make a rational
decision.

Lyle,I've been riding with beanie helmet since 1992 when the helmet law was pushed on us,crashed twice,one on my 89 Gsxr 1100 and second time on my wife's HD Hertiage.On the Gsxr I had a Police half helmet and my head was bouncing off the road as I slide on a turn after making a panick stop for some idiot who stopped on the end of a on-ramp to the Expressway.The helmet saved my head there but I did have neck pains for about a month with that accident.On the Harley crashed when the bike slipped out from under me doing a left hand turn into my work parking lot,I went over four new painted yellow lines which I did not see at 4:30am,I was using a beanie helmet my head bounced around on the road on that one also,had neck pains only one night.I think the weight of the helmet had alot to do with the neck pain.I also notice when I switched from the beanie helmet to the full face helmet during the winter months and rainy weather months I would get more neck pains using the full face helmet.My riding is High speed 80+mph except for the rainy days,and I get full blast of head wind everytime I ride,either on the Harley,Hayabusa,or the 98TL1000R and 89 Gsxr "before I sold these bikes".My own experience with helmets is do wear it never know when you're going to go down,but if you get T-boned or Head-on crash it doesn't matter what you wear,same thing in a car or walking in the crosswalk,when it's your time it's your time just make sure you look out for the crazy drivers or the one's not paying attention.

Back