helmet law thing

OB_defectron

Registered
just got this from a friend, it gave me a little thinking..

> What is a "reasonably foreseeable" impact? Any impact around 14 miles per
> hour or greater. Motorcycle helmets are tested by being dropped on an
> anvil from a height of six feet, the equivalent of a 13.66-mph impact. If
> you ride at speeds less than 14 mph and are involved only in accidents
> involving stationary objects, you're golden. A typical motorcycle
> accident, however, would be a biker traveling at, say, 30 mph, and being
> struck by a car making a left turn at, maybe, 15 mph. That's an effective
> cumulative impact of 45 mph. Assume the biker is helmet-clad, and that he
> is struck directly on the head. The helmet reduces the blow to an impact
> of 31.34 mph. Still enough to kill him. The collisions that helmets
> cushion effectively-say, 7-mph motorcycles with 7-mph cars-are not only
> rare but eminently avoidable.
> Another reason helmets don't work: An object breaks at its weakest point.
> Some helmet advocates argue that while helmets may not reduce the overall
> death rate, they prevent death due to head trauma. Jonathan Goldstein, a
> professor of economics at Bowdoin College, in Brunswick, Maine, wondered
> how this could be. If fatal head traumas were decreasing, then some other
> kind of fatal injury must be rising to make up the difference. Applying
> his expertise in econometrics to those aforementioned CDC statistics,
> Goldstein discovered what was happening. In helmet-law states, there
> exists a reciprocal relationship between death due to head trauma and
> death due to neck injury. That is, a four-pound helmet might save the
> head, but the force is then transferred to the neck. Goldstein found that
> helmets begin to increase one's chances of a fatal neck injury at speeds
> exceeding 13-mph, about the same impact at which helmets can no longer
> soak up kinetic energy. For this reason, Dr. Charles Campbell, a Chicago
> heart surgeon who performs more than 300 operations per year and rides his
> dark-violet, chopped Harley Softail to work at Michael Reese Hospital,
> refuses to wear a helmet. "Your head may be saved," says Dr. Campbell,
> "but your neck will be broken."
> John G.U. Adams, of University College, London, cites another reason not
> to wear a helmet. He found that helmet-wearing can lead to excessive
> risk-taking due to the unrealistic sense of invulnerability that a
> motorcyclist feels when he dons a helmet. False confidence and cheap
> horsepower are a lethal combination. I called a local (Massachusetts)
> Suzuki dealer, and told the salesman I was a first-time buyer looking for
> something cheaper than the standard $15,000 Harley. He said I could buy
> the GSXR 1300 for only $10,500, a bike that could hit speeds in excess of
> 160 miles per hour. He recommended that I wear a helmet, even in
> non-helmet-law states. Imagine: a novice on a 160-mph bike wearing a
> plastic hat that will reduce any impact by 14 mph. It's like having sex
> with King Kong, but bringing a condom for safety's sake.
> Why the enthusiasm for helmets? Mike Osborn, chairman of the political
> action committee of California ABATE, says insurance companies are big
> supporters of helmet laws, citing the "public burden" argument. That is,
> reckless bikers sans helmets are raising everyone's car insurance rates by
> running headlong into plate-glass windows and the like, sustaining
> expensive head injuries.
> Actually, it's true that bikers indirectly jack up the rates of car
> drivers, but not for the reason you might think. Car drivers plow over
> bikers at an alarming rate. According to the Second International Congress
> on Automobile Safety, the car driver is at fault in more than 70%of all
> car/motorcycle collisions. A typical accident occurs when a motorist
> illegally makes a left turn into the path of an oncoming motorcycle,
> turning the biker into an unwitting hood ornament. In such cases, juries
> tend to award substantial damages to the injured biker. Car insurance
> premiums go up.
> Osborn sees a hidden agenda. "They [the insurance companies] want to get
> us off the road." Fewer bikes means fewer claims against car drivers.
> Helmet laws do accomplish that goal, as evidenced by falling motorcycle
> registrations in helmet-law states. It is interesting to note that
> carriers of motorcycle insurance do not complain about their clients.
> Motorcycle liability insurance remains cheap. Osborn pays only $125 per
> year for property damage and personal injury liability because motorcycles
> cause little damage to others.
> Keith R. Ball was one of the pioneers of ABATE, its first manager in 1971
> and later its national director. What annoys him most is the anecdotal
> approach taken by journalists who have a penchant for reporting whenever
> the victim of a fatal motorcycle accident was not wearing a helmet. When
> was the last time you saw a news item mentioning that a dead biker was
> wearing a helmet?
> Which is not to say that Ball opposes helmets. He thinks anyone who rides
> in a car should wear one. After all, he points out, head injuries make up
> only 20% of serious injuries to motorcyclists, but they account for 90% of
> all car injuries. If Ball's idea catches hold, one day I suspect you'll
> see angry men stepping out of Volvos with odd T-shirts beneath their tweed
> jackets. The T-shirts will read: Helmet Laws Suck.

This ought to be brought to the attention of the AMA and all of the other race sanctioning bodies at once! The racers are now required to wear helmets, and they frequently excede 14 mph. All these years they have been putting themselves at risk by wearing the dumb things.

When do you suppose we'll see the first bareheaded superbike or GP race (cool with just goggles and scarves)? Next step helmetless track days.

Have you ever tried to ride a bike at 140+ without a helmet...........? Also you see superbike guys wreck all the time on the track, the helmet saves their lives. I will always wear a helmet........

Defectron brings up a good point. Anyone interested in advanced helmet technologies should look at my recent post on the "ok guys help me beat this" thread. I have designing a new brain bucket called the "helmut" and after FalconCop tests it we may all be a little safer. Even if it doesn't work we all win.

I wears my helmet all the time when I'm around my wife, cause she say's if I even think about another motorcycle she would beat me with it. Funny, she never said that about anuther woman... :)
Beam me up TOTO..
FF-O

Hey Defectron, tell whoever sent you that "scientific" study to watch that TV show "World Scariest Police Chases". Cops were chasing this guy on a Suzuki GSXR750, he was blasting thru the freeways at over 100 mph, cops had abandoned the chase, only the helicopeter was following him, his biggest mistake was to take the ramp off the freeway and slam on the side of an automobile at over 60 mph while trying to cross the intersection, he was only bruised, nothing broken!!. Yes he was wearing a helmet, the bike? destroyed of course, the bike and the panels of the car ABSORBED all the force of the impact.

Let's just imagine what would happen to your head if you tip over at 15 mph and you're not wearing your helmet, and your head hits the pavement, first, that is scary. Just ask Gary Busey, he had a nasty solo spill on his Harley not too long ago, he wasn't wearing a helmet of course, he was close to being a goner.

I would worry more about being run over by other cars after you crash.

Sounds like quiet a stretch to me and it appears to be coming only from those who don't like wearing helmets. Reminds me a lot of the motorists who don't like wearing seatbelts when they exclaim "If I'm wearing a seatbelt I won't be thrown clear in case of an accident". Yeah right - thrown clear so your vehicle can roll right on top of you which is the case more often than not with unbelted passengers. Maybe it's just me but I feel pretty naked and vulnerable without a helmet. The thought of my head and face scraping along 120 degree pavement makes my stomach turn worse than dying itself. Having seen a web sight with explicit photos of a MC rider with a huge hole in his head and his brains left on the street(no helmet of course) solidified my view. Wearing a helmet doesn't bother me at all. I'm not sure if it was the 9 years of football or what but it's just part of the experience for me. I live in a no helmet law state and appear to be one of the few that do wear a helmet but hey if they don't mind leaving their brains on the highway that's up to them. And since there are so many helmetless riders in my state I constantly get to see and hear the reports on what happens to them - the latest being 4 HD riders wiped out at once (not at high speed-no helmets-no survivors) about 3 weeks ago. Although I oppose government over-regulation and heavy handed government agencies this issue seems like a no brainer to me.[pardon the pun] Maybe someone can explain to me how seatbelt laws have been nationally instituted for automobiles (with good results) yet there is a debate about wearing protection while riding a motorcycles and it is even legal not to wear protection in some states?(like mine) Seems like plain common sense to me.

I was going 0 mph when I had my head run over. Broke the helmet (which was borrowed from a friend). Big rubber mark on it. I stood up and was (pissed) fine.

I am a SFI certified NHRA tech inspector. No helmet=No racing. One of the things I look for are the mirror hangers. Guys who drop thier hats on the mirror often damage the foam "crush area" on the inside. I still hang mine on the mirror, but I'm careful not to mess up the liner. The foam absorbs some of the impact when (not if) you get off.

helmets...wear em

Well actually the site owner should get the credit although a lot of the other pics on the site are of questionable neccesity. I first heard about this particular site from one of the Honda guys on the CBR list when the topic of discussion was HELMETS if I remember correctly. I just don't understand how anyone with any conception of bike accidents would not wear whatever is available for protection. I go with leathers, armor, helmet(full face), quality gloves, boots etc - the works and I still wish I had more. Then you hear about riders dying in no helmet slow speed crashes pulling into parking lots and you just have to wonder why. Guess some people don't think the laws of physics (or common sense) apply to them? Wonder if those same people enjoy Russian Rullette as well? We as a society are so concerned about our water supplies, pesticides sprayed on vegatables, air pollution, littering, physical fitness, toxic substances that cause cancer, smoking etc etc but there is a debate on whether riders should wear a helmet or not. Seems pretty silly to me when you look at the big picture. Should we also debate the effectiveness of car bumpers, automobile structural integrity and seatbelts? How about debating parachutes for paratroopers??!!! What about lifejackets for boaters? Fewer bike deaths due to riders wearing protective devices(like helmets) could benefit all of us and perhaps prevent the further restrictions that some fear with the passage of (gasp)helmet laws.

Lets get back to motorcyling cause next thing you know we will all be required to wear bright orange/yellow riding suits with flashing lights on our helmets and with the word INSURED and I PAY TAXES stamped across the back of our riding suit to make us safe from the mad world out there.Don't blame the Tools blame the stupid HUMAN that cuts you off or changes lane into your bike.Riding on a race track is lot safer than the real world to bad all traffic don't go in the same direction and every driver is required to go to safe driving and handling school for a required 1 year before getting a drivers licence.Todd and Dirty Pete go out and clean your chain on your bike and relax.Oh by the way most states enforced the Seat Belt and Helmet Laws since the Federal Government said if you don't enforce these laws you'll get no Federal funding for Highways and other important funding that the states need and that's a FACT.MONEY talks and bull Crap walks.IS this AMERICA or RUSSIA or CHINA!!!!

[This message has been edited by Cisco San Jose (edited 14 September 1999).]

That's partially my point Cisco. We can't control the idiot drivers on the road. That is a problem which will get worse before it gets better.(IMO) Therefore why shouldn't we as riders do everything we can to prevent or lessen serious injury? It's one of the few things that we as riders have control over. If something as simple as wearing a helmet can prevent instant death how can there possibly be an argument? As I said I'm very much opposed to government oppression. Some would probably label me a radical in this respect but wearing helmets on bikes seems to me to be no different than wearing seatbelts in autos. No matter how much you try to educate some people they are unwilling or unable to learn. Sometimes decisions have to be made for these types of people for the overall good of everyone. I suppose if helmetless bikers could insure that no harm would come to anyone else financially, materially or emotionally I might feel differently. Sure if one wishes to kill themselves I have no personal problem with that but NOT at other's expense.

p.s. As far as getting back to motorcycling - this IS motorcycling and includes discussions of a subject that effects all bikers. Helmets have caused more response among bikers as a whole than any single subject I can think of. (as evidenced by your own contributions to this topic) Have you oiled YOUR chain lately?! :)

[This message has been edited by Todd (edited 14 September 1999).]

Cisco, when a serious earthquake occurs in China or Turkey or any poor country thousands of people get killed. When the happen in California a few dozen get killed. The difference is that CA has tightly enforced building codes and safety requirements, which these other countries don't have. If you really want freedom to hurt yourself go to Russia or China. They have the lousy governments that don't give a damn about safety or the things that make for a safe environment - I guess you could call that freedom.

Helmet saves Schumacher's Life?!

Here's a new report from the world of Formula One which illustrates the usefullness of a helmet:
[source: dailyf1.com]
------------------------------------

SCHUMACHER ACCIDENT FINDINGS EMERGE

Reports and findings surfacing from research over Michael Schumacher's accident at the British Grand Prix have suggested the German could have been killed by the impact.

F1 medical supremo Sid Watkins has revealed that the accident, which broke Schumacher's right leg in two places, was severe enough to kill him. Watkins was one of the first on the scene to attend to the double world champion after he was removed from the cockpit.

'When we saw him we understood exactly that he had a broken leg because it was unnaturally deformed,' said Watkins. 'We were happier when we saw the skin with no wounds.' 'He was suffering.'

'Michael crashed his head against the cockpit in a frontal way at 90 degrees
at 107 km/h. Enough to kill. His head hurtled with extreme violence but we
experimented on his head that our rules on safety were good because the helmet was broken but the man was safe.'

TODD: The site owner gets no credit at all. He put it up for prurient reasons.

You get the credit for channeling us to that site at the risk of being labelled a prurient person yourself.

I knew immediately that that was NOT the reason you had found that site and told us about it.

Sherm those countries are 1000 years in the making our country is about 150 years old or so and we learn from other people's mistakes.I just want the Freedom to wear what I want with out someone telling me what to do.Same if a person smokes,drinks,have sex,SUV's,guns or what ever.You are FREE until the Government puts restriction on you cause it will be safe for you.If I was that safety minded I would have bought my family bullet proof Vest and have them wear their vest everytime we go out to eat/shop,cause I don't know who is packing and who will go crazy in some shopping mall and start shooting someone.I wear my helmet cause I don't like bugs hitting me at 160mph,I don't like rain hitting my head when going 65/70mph.Bottom line get the facts,make your choice and don't hurt anyone.We are all here to have a good time on our Hayabusa or what ever we ride at least we don't tell each other or none Hayabusa riders go buy a real motorcycle,Maybe a ZX12,just kidding.Anyways ride safe all and wear that helmet,but on which head??!!!#@

Cisco and others who are soft on helmet rules: Under some circumstances, I like to ride with my head in full wind, too. Like on a race course infield/pits, a country half mile track, a farm, up and down my own driveway.

But man, when a rider screws his brains up like that macho dweeb Gary Bussy, I pay the ticket in the form of health taxes.

I would rather that that money go to my daughters' education or to more F-18s to keep the sugarbritches out.

If you ride on public streets, you're not just endangering yourself, you're endangering my daughters' democratic legacy.

A red-neck father's perspective.

I feel like Clinton on this one. I can see both sides of the issue.
Do I wear a helmet when I ride? Yes
Does my stat have a helmet law? Yes
Would I were a helmet if my state had no law?
Not always.

What is at issue here is notwhether or not wearing a helmet is beneficial but freedom of choice. I hate the idea of being forced to do something for the sake of someones bottom line. If I choose to take the risk of not wearing a helmet I should be able to do so without fear of being made to look like a criminal by the Safety-Nazis.

Does anyone remember how many babies have been killed by airbags because we rushed to make things better without proper testing? All in the name of safety?

Dirty Pete,I see where your coming from,I'm all for better weapons to keep this country free.You know as well as me when we see stupid bike tricks done by some sport bike/Harley riders on public roads it shows from the point of view of a car driver that we all ride that way and that we are a danger to the law abiding citizen on the roadway.Maybe all the motorcycle groups can sit down together and fight some of these laws that discriminate against motorcyclist. Remember they "safety Czars" want your guns cause it's for the safety of our KIDS and spending all that TAX dollars to patch up these gang members that don't have medical insurance.Next it will be super bikes,and next....never ending cycle.Have's and have nots.Anyways ride safe and maybe all of us on this board can have a great meeting somewhere someday and shoot the breeze and eat some sushi and drink saki or is it Steak and Millers/Bud beer.

I've been biffed in the head by all measure of objects in my riding career...bumblebees and dragonflies (70+ mph) wasps (ditto), a bat (winged kind, not baseball kind), ate gravel on a dirt road after hitting a deer. Wore a full-face helmet (Shoei RF-5V) for all of them; not a scratch. Hit a rock embankment head-first at @40 mph after running into a ditch at age 17...concussion, four stitches, shattered visor...thank you, Bell Star II.

[This message has been edited by Mr Bear (edited 14 September 1999).]

Back