Helmet communications

flitemedic13

Registered
just wondering if anyone knows anything about a product called "the communicator"..i dont know much about it, or where to get one really, but supposedly its like a HJC chatterbox helmet comm system, u can also plug in an MP3 player to it too as well as still have voice comm with a voice activated system mic ....saw one on ebay and was wondering if anyone had used this system or a chatterbox...i go on long rides and music and conversation would definatly be a good thing.

My experience with the Chatterbox 5 watt unit is that it is not worth the money for communications purposes if you ride a sport bike, especially one with aftermarket pipes. The noise of the pipes and wind noise render the voice activation useless. The microphone will activate under high accelleration and at high speeds. I have had very moderate success with the stock pipes (when I had them) and the gain set to maximum, and utilizing the microphone activation manually worked best, yet still marginally. Most of my riding friends just keep theirs "on the shelf".

If you check the website of a company named Clearer Communication, (I forgot the website address but do a Google search for them) they have a "thoat mic" utilized by the armed forces and law enforcement which attaches to each side of your throat and picks up your voice via sound waves, that may be your best bet. They have just released an adapter specifically for thte Chatterbox to work with their microphone/headset that is supposed to work wonderfully. I will be getting one very soon.

The Chatterbox has an input for an audio source such as CD player, MP3 player, etc. I have a XM satellite radio on my Busa which, in my opinion, is the only way to go. Never lose any of over 100 stations nationwide! That's the only reason I use one.

Well, that's my two cents worth. Other's experiences may differ from mine. Do a thread search for "Chatterbox" and/or "Intercom" and read the opinions expressed there. Most are "lukewarm" on the whole radio communications issue.

Back