Heli Bars

mjrfd99

Registered
I am thinking a set of Heli Bars would make for a better riding position for me. Is it true what they say in their ad that the stock cables, lines and wires do not have to be changed? Could someone who has this mod tell me if the ad is true and how hard of an install they are.

I don't have the helibars, but I have 1 1/4" risers. The risers essentially accomplish the same thing - raising the handlebars.

All my cables are stock. I did re-route the fast-idle cable in front of the steering head, but it wasn't mandatory.

As for the install of the helibars, it's not too difficult, just pull the bar controls, throttle, and master cylinders off, remove the existing bars, install the helibars and replace what you took off.

Oh yeah, don't forget to post pics when you're thru!
wink.gif

yep, stock lines are good, you might have to reroute the choke cable but it really only impacts when you turn it all the way to the left.

heli bars work and work great all the brake lines and cables still work its no big deal to install and when there on they look factory most people that look at my bike dont know I changed the bars. Get them you wont be sorry

Been there done that... As said above, cept I did notice a increase in throttle at idle while parked when moving the handlebars. Have you also checked into the Cycle-Cat set-up? alot more adjustment and beautiful craftsmenship. Plus, they will have your cables lengthened... Just food for thought. Risers will move the bars up had that and the Gen-mar for a couple of years.

I been thinking about doing it but I got the HEL steel brake/clutch lines and those puppies are close/tight.

I don't think I could squeeze the extra length needed.
I think I'd be taking a chance...

I have both Helibars and 3/4 Reaper Risers and still run the stock cables. I had to reroute my fast idle cable around the steering head. I had to disconnect the fast idle cable from the lever and reroute it under the tank bolts... here is a picture, you can see the cable between the tank bolts...

IMG_0529.jpg

I have the Heli Bars and like them.  They are easy to install.  All the stock cables and lines work with them.  You have to route the choke cable over the frame, and under the tank between the 2 front tank bolts.

I got the front lowering kit from soupy. It's essentially 4 pieces of aluminum round stock that are 1" high that go between the top tree and the top tree cover that the bars mount to. at 20 bucks, it's a lot cheaper than heli bars, and it accomplishes the same thing. Oh, and whether or not you lower the front an inch with them is optional. if you dont want to lower it, then dont slide the fork tubes up.

I'm thinking about getting the Heli bars too. The thing about the Heli bars thats worth the extra cash to me as opposed to risers is that not only does the Heli bars raise the bars but it also moves them rearward and gives them a slightly wider positioning.

I have Heli's and the stock cables work. Just have to do a small reroute of the fast idle cable and that's a NO BRAINER  
beerchug.gif

I have a skelton triple tree and heli bars, and it was a pain in the @SS but now that I have it all dialed in where its supposed to be, Im happy with it,
I think most of my problems where from the skel tree because it moves everything around, but after drilling some new holes for the switch housings and about an hour of fitting and moving and rerouting, my bars are perfeect super wide and rite where I wan them....

I have the Heli Bars (easy to install...about 30 minutes) and I am getting 3/4" risers/spacers. Has anyone had any issues with clearance of the brake resevoir and the windshield with this setup?

I have the Heli Bars (easy to install...about 30 minutes) and I am getting 3/4" risers/spacers. Has anyone had any issues with clearance of the brake resevoir and the windshield with this setup?
yep... easy fix.. a roll of the assy on the bar and a bit of trim on the windscreen.. You are still going to touch the fairing on a full lock to the right (flash to pass button)

Have had them on my '02 and now my '03 and love them,just re route the fast idle between the 2 bolts as in the pics.(am now going with a new front tree[lowered]so know i'll appreciate them even more)

I have the Heli Bars (easy to install...about 30 minutes) and I am getting 3/4" risers/spacers.  Has anyone had any issues with clearance of the brake resevoir and the windshield with this setup?
yep... easy fix.. a roll of the assy on the bar and a bit of trim on the windscreen.. You are still going to touch the fairing on a full lock to the right (flash to pass button)
A roll of the assy???
SHOCKED.gif
What exactly are you rolling on the bar? Am I missing something, or have you been sippin' on the good stuff?

Back