headlight bulbs

Lil guy Big Busa

Registered
what are the brightest bulbs i can buy for my bike... from like autozone, with our wedding coming up, i cant fork out the money for the hid kit, but i still want a little brighter, and maybe blue in color, does anybody know if you can find this set up from autozone, advanced, or oreillys, im just looking for bulbs

HID kits are really no more than the really over priced bulbs available now.
2 bulbs @ $24 each and you have a 35W 6000 HID kit. :poke:

Last edited:
I have ordered 3 sets from a seller on eBay for $37 each with free shipping. I usually have them in 3 days or less. And they have a 2 year warranty
Posted via Mobile Device

So I can get a hid kit of ebay for the price of bulbs at autozone?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yes, or very close. DDM tuning makes good stuff with cheap prices. 5000k is the blue color you want, 3000k is yellow, 4k or 4300k is whiteish blue.
Once you get into 6k to 8k, those bulbs are not as bright.
Silverstar halogen bulbs are $20 to $25 each, DDM's bulb, ballast, and harness, and are usually around $35 each, depending on application.
Well worth the money as they are alot brighter.
If you've never adjusted your headlight you may want to do that too, as they are usually pointing very low from the factory.

DDM Tuning : Motorcycle HID Kits & Lighting

"Once you get into 6k to 8k, those bulbs are not as bright"
What, as the sun?
I beg to differ and can introduce you to half my block, all of the gate security guards that now have partial blindness...:whistle:

"Once you get into 6k to 8k, those bulbs are not as bright"
What, as the sun?
I beg to differ and can introduce you to half my block, all of the gate security guards that now have partial blindness...:whistle:

The higher the number, the dimmer the bulb. Those colors are not as bright, that's just how it is. Feel free to check on that.
I did not say that they'll be too dim either.
I also had a 4300k and now have the 5000k too.

The higher the number, the dimmer the bulb. Those colors are not as bright, that's just how it is. Feel free to check on that.
I did not say that they'll be too dim either.
I also had a 4300k and now have the 5000k too.

Not questioning your prowess on candlepower, it's funny to read that my choice of hid's are "dimmer" than the lower #'s. As if the naked eye would be able to tell. :poke: Color difference yes, brightness I doubt.
Dim is the setup that came stock on the bike. :laugh:

Not questioning your prowess on candlepower, it's funny to read that my choice of hid's are "dimmer" than the lower #'s. As if the naked eye would be able to tell. :poke: Color difference yes, brightness I doubt.
Dim is the setup that came stock on the bike. :laugh:

Yes the stock is awful:laugh: But ride a 3k and then an 8k, you WILL see the difference. It's more the color than the brightness, but you can tell that you can't see as far clearly. I assume that does depend upon an idividuals vision as well. The people you are blinding probably won't notice though.:laugh:

Just checked online: the Sun's surface temperature is around 11k F, so the closer the bulbs temperature rating to 11k, the closer the spectrum of the bulb's light is to the Sun's light. The temperature refers to the color of the light, and not to the brightness.

The brightness is a different property of light (I think lumens). Whatever the specific bulb is rated for brightness, should be somewhere in tech specs of the bulb.

What you guys don't realize is that installing a brighter light is not as beneficial as you might think.

It is true that the bright light from your headlight is easier to notice. But that's where the benefit ends.

The brighter the light the more difficult (i.e. impossible) to estimate the speed of the bike. You could be doing 30 mph or 80 mph, your bright light will appear about the same to the viewer - and the problem is that your bright light will appear as if it is not moving. You can predict the outcome of such miscalculation.

When people are blinded they tend to freeze - also a bad thing.

It annoys the heck out of other people who are blinded. If the bulb is not adjusted, the light blinds others even more.

All-in-all, it just makes no sense to me.

Those who install HID's (both bikes and cars) to see better at night are pretty selfish because they achieve better lighting by blinding others.

Just checked online: the Sun's surface temperature is around 11k F, so the closer the bulbs temperature rating to 11k, the closer the spectrum of the bulb's light is to the Sun's light. The temperature refers to the color of the light, and not to the brightness.

The brightness is a different property of light (I think lumens). Whatever the specific bulb is rated for brightness, should be somewhere in tech specs of the bulb.

What you guys don't realize is that installing a brighter light is not as beneficial as you might think.

It is true that the bright light from your headlight is easier to notice. But that's where the benefit ends.

The brighter the light the more difficult (i.e. impossible) to estimate the speed of the bike. You could be doing 30 mph or 80 mph, your bright light will appear about the same to the viewer - and the problem is that your bright light will appear as if it is not moving. You can predict the outcome of such miscalculation.

When people are blinded they tend to freeze - also a bad thing.

It annoys the heck out of other people who are blinded. If the bulb is not adjusted, the light blinds others even more.

All-in-all, it just makes no sense to me.

Those who install HID's (both bikes and cars) to see better at night are pretty selfish because they achieve better lighting by blinding others.

I'm aware that it refers to the temp and not the color. I've also never had anyone flash their lights at me for my lowbeam being too bright. My headlight is also adjusted to where it's not aimed too high.
It's also not selfish to need to be able to see well at night. I'm constantly blinded by stock height 4x4 pickups, with or without HIDs in them, in a car or on a bike.
I ride at night, and stock headlights are almost useless. I need to be able to see too. I wasn't comfortable at 55mph at night with stock headlights.
I also live in critter country, you name it and it's ran out in front of me day and night. I've also hit a deer at night on a bike.
Can seeing better save you? Of course.
No one in a car, truck, bike, or whatever should be staring at the headlights of oncoming vehicless either. Look ahead or down to the right shoulder...yes, it really helps. Staring into oncoming headlight is a common mistake of many drivers.
If HIDs were so bad they would not be factory equipment on so many late model vehicles. Some people simply don't like them.
Try convincing everyone here with HIDs that they are a bad, selfish choice, good luck with that.:beerchug:

I see your point... Maybe it's allright where you live.

I am being blinded by both bikes and cars regularly. Not trying to look at the lights. Maybe many drivers/riders do not adjust their bulbs.

It's bearable during the day, but absolutely blinds you in the dark. I put my money where my mouth is - my car and bike both have stock lights, and they do a decent job. I could opt for a better light, but don't - for the reasons I explained.

I don't ride at night though - just not worth it because I can't ride aggressively with limited visibility, and if I can't, there is no point in riding at all. But that's my preference.

I have ordered 3 sets from a seller on eBay for $37 each with free shipping. I usually have them in 3 days or less. And they have a 2 year warranty
Posted via Mobile Device

I think I have been getting my from the same seller. $37 per set (hi and low beam) complete with ballasts and everything, 2 year warranty.

"The brighter the light the more difficult (i.e. impossible) to estimate the speed of the bike. You could be doing 30 mph or 80 mph, your bright light will appear about the same to the viewer - and the problem is that your bright light will appear as if it is not moving. You can predict the outcome of such miscalculation."

Well here is my take on this,
Day or night, shame on the idiot riding a motorcycle on a public road with a posted speed of let's say 45mph, whereas he is actually doing 80mph.
Do you honestly beleive John/Jane automobile operator is thinking Joe Rocket is railing down Main St. @ 80? No, they are assuming he is doing the speed limit. Plenty of room to pull out and make my left... Unless your trained to observe high speed vehicles approaching you are never gonna know. Funny, I don't remember that part of my Driver's Ed class.

"I don't ride at night though - just not worth it because I can't ride aggressively with limited visibility, and if I can't, there is no point in riding at all. But that's my preference."

So you tear up the public roads out in LI huh? If I remember correctly that area is one of the most densely populated areas in the Tri-state area. My suggestion to you sir is save your life and keep it on the track.

Hmmmm I have been thinking about HID's for my 2009 model. I cant complain with the factory lighting and those that say they cant see well, my eyes arent that great and to the point I cant pass the DMV eye exam without glasses and night time is bad since I have a stigmatism in my one eye.
I have no problem seeing at night with my factory bulbs on HI, Maybe the GenII bulbs are different then the GEN1, but my eyes arent the best and stockers light up the roadway nice IMO

What bulb did u but. I bought a silverstar h7 and it doesn't fit. The prongs are to narrow and small.
Posted via Mobile Device

Back