head work???

Again, I would caution people that this usually ends up costing closer to $4k.
The headwork requires more duration and lift to work, so you need to purchase cams and adjustable sprockets. The higher CFM now requires that you spin the motor at higher RPM. Instead of launching at the dragstrip at 4k, you will need to launch at closer to 5500 RPM, and shift at 11,400. Anything under 5k will be very boggy. Since your new rev limiter is set at 11,500 or 11,600, you will need new valve springs and harder stainless valves to take the higher seat pressure. Depending on the lift of the cams, you will need to replace the valve springs every season. Big cams soften springs quickly. Also, depending on the cam centers you chose, and the duration and lift, you may have clearance problems with the pistons. They need to be carefully checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Frequently you will need pistons that have appropriate clearance for the valves. Also, its always recomended to go with bigger pistons if you do the head. Regardless of what other posts say, headwork only moves the torque curve up. Torque increases are generally only made with compression and displacement. Bigger pistons require boring your cylinder. You may want to locate a Gen I cylinder because they tend to be stronger. Speed costs money. :laugh:

Good post.
The headwork requires more duration and lift to work, so you need to purchase cams and adjustable sprockets. The higher CFM now requires that you spin the motor at higher RPM. Instead of launching at the dragstrip at 4k, you will need to launch at closer to 5500 RPM, and shift at 11,400. Anything under 5k will be very boggy. Since your new rev limiter is set at 11,500 or 11,600, you will need new valve springs and harder stainless valves to take the higher seat pressure. Depending on the lift of the cams, you will need to replace the valve springs every season. Big cams soften springs quickly. Also, depending on the cam centers you chose, and the duration and lift, you may have clearance problems with the pistons. They need to be carefully checked by someone who knows what they are doing. Frequently you will need pistons that have appropriate clearance for the valves. Also, its always recomended to go with bigger pistons if you do the head. Regardless of what other posts say, headwork only moves the torque curve up. Torque increases are generally only made with compression and displacement. Bigger pistons require boring your cylinder. You may want to locate a Gen I cylinder because they tend to be stronger. Speed costs money. :laugh:

BTW, I am not saying not to do it. I am happy with the results.
I'm just saying that when you decide to do a head, you are deciding to build a motor.

busahead.jpg

This is why I keep holding off and thinking TURBO... ;)

I am looking into his 235rwhp 1441 job for $4,400. Seems like a lot of power for the money. Hell, a Brock's full system, filter, PC5, and race oil only gained me roughly 18 rwhp. I had $1,770 in all that. So, to jump up from 184 to 235 horses for $4,400... steal of a deal. That's 50 rwhp... less than $100/hp. Not bad in my book.

Back