Gen 2 vs gen1 1397

I have a gen 1, I'm going to keep this simple. I want 200+ hp to out run kaw 1400s, and other 200+ bikes. I see the gen 2 and I just never see them dyno over 200+ with pipe and tune. I'm not drag racing I'm playing around on the street and taking trips playing on the highway. Ok. I see 1397s with cams and heads and about 5 grand worth of work in a motor only putting out 205 maybe hp. So what do you guys think? Is there a gen 2 stock with bolt ons throwing down more then 200rwhp? If so then I'll go that route.
Hi. Why a 1397? Why not a 1472 or a 1507 with spray like a 50 HP shot!

power is a matter of more fuel and complete combustion. you want more fuel. easy way Turbo hard way big cams. turbos push air through whether it wants go or not. Big cams suck air in and if nothing else is done it has all manner of factory installed restrictions on the way from the open air to the combustion chamber Which leads us to more complete combustion. Easy waynTurbo. It will stuff air in there whether it wants to go or not which raises Compression ratio for more power. Hard way hi comp pistons which are expensive and a lot of work to get installed. Both these methods really need better rods and valve springs but then you start talking real money and that never ends well :). Second part of better combustion; getting dirty air out of the combustion chamber. easy way Turbo. it will start pushing in more air as soon as the valves are open and push the air out past a stock exhaust whether it wants to go or not. hard way Hi comp pistons Same result mostly. HOWEVER all that is pointless for big power unless you get a pipe. and that means with cams and pistons there will be an optimum rpm range for the air pump ( your Motor) to work most efficiently. you may loose easy street performance if your air flow system is best at an RPM you do not usually ride at. You will need to shift to get it to run its best and by then they are away
Same pipe stock cams larger rpm range of efficiency as the turbo is pushing harder all the time.
All this assumes a dynomometer tune and a method of controlling the fuel injectors for max fuel flow with best Air/fuel ratio There is no easy or cheap way to just do a bolt on with any bike. and get that much extra power to the rear wheel. It is a process and the process needs to be well documented and proven. Either way will make horsepower. Both are proven. One is just easier than the other. And once you have done either some guy will show up with something stronger than yours and dust you. Go up against a supercharged Kawi with a few new well done mods and you are right back where you started. When they start talking smack tell you will see them at the track. When the green flag drops The bull stuff stops
I have found that often solves the problem

Not everyone wants to go turbo. Even tho it’s the easiest way to make more power. But a big motor is fun to ride cause you mash the gas and don’t have to wait to spool up. I would go bigger then a 1397 if budget allows. Like a 1507 would be nice or bigger. But needs to be streetable.
You have both right?

My '04 with a 1397 runs really strong, way more than I ever need. I bought it with the engine done so I don't know what pistons are in it, but I had to buy a $200 battery to get it to crank hot regularly. I get the feeling you'll have a hard time getting enough. The old "a little more" syndrome. You might consider turbo as advised.

Hey man, you know of any reputable shops here in Louisville , I have a few kinks that Iam having a hard time ironing out with my bike, needing it diagnosed but dealers only go back 10 years so iam like crap
There is a couple. Keith nickels is ok but a little slow. Hes located on greenbelt first right before you get to Walmart with Walmart being on the left side. I mess with fun for all in etown! They are really good. Ask for Corey.

Not everyone wants to go turbo. Even tho it’s the easiest way to make more power. But a big motor is fun to ride cause you mash the gas and don’t have to wait to spool up. I would go bigger then a 1397 if budget allows. Like a 1507 would be nice or bigger. But needs to be streetable.
That's exactly what I want! It to be steerable! Also ride long distance.

A big motor not being pushed to its maximum power should not create that much heat and heat is usually the issue with reliability for traveling. You may need to upgrade your radiator.
I use to like big motors too until I drove a supercharged Alterd a friend of mine built. Straight 6 cylinder Ford pickup 250 Cu In if memory serve me well Oh baby! It scared the dickens out of me.
On Sunoco 260 no less
Such fun times when we were young and stupid and there was a class for almost anything lol
Send Frank your motor and a cheque Then wait. All will be revealed :)

(...)I like my 4into1 megaphone sound, nothing comes close to the way it sounds. (...)

i strongly guess your "muffler" (exhaust) steals around 15-20 hp or even more.
(i have had a "shark konic", built for a bandit 1200, at my former ´00 busa and lost 39 hp - the test bench said so - any other questions ? )

then i think you didn´t flash the ecu to get rid of all restrictions
a. at 2. and 3. gear
b. at 6. gear for the max speed

and finally
you didn´t change the mapping to the behavior of your muffler / exhaust - i guess.

sound usually is not equal to more power - often even the contrary.

so no wonder, that others can leave you behind.

Back