Head shake when lowered

BigDawgZ28

Registered
We tried to lower my bike and we weres getting head shake until we brought it all the way back to stock? there was a slight vibration on decel above 50mph prior to the lowering ..as we lowered it it became a hard shake..any ideas? could it be the wheel?

strange; you shouldn't have any head shack after lowering... I am sure you obviously have every tight... Are you sure that when you lowered it, you got both sides lowered the same?

Any mods? Different size tires, etc...? Have you stiffened the front suspension any?

Cloud

Also how did you go about lowering it (tree clamp, strap, links, ect ...) and how low did you go?

tank slappers were an issue with the bike when it was designed, that is why they put the cap over the top clamp,suzuki doesn't want you to lower the front end and make the problem worse

Sounds like lowering it just amplified a problem you already had. Who installed the last front tire. The tires are directional and have a mark for the valve stem I believe. I've never had a problem changing my own tires, well bent a rotor once, but two tire changes paid for that. If the tires installed properly then you could have front end issues. Lots of people run lowered bikes and this is the first thread I've read about this problem. Have you checked the steering dampner
rock.gif
Shouldn't really be an issue. Good luck. I'm sure someone with better ideas will pop up soon. If the bikes under warranty take it to the dealer.

(the grinch @ May 28 2007,04:15) tank slappers were an issue with the bike when it was designed, that is why they put the cap over the top clamp,suzuki doesn't want you to lower the front end and make the problem worse
I know some folks on here running close to 200 MPH lowered and stock with no issues.

+1 on what's said above - I think lowering the bike just amplified a problem you already had - tire or wheel probably.

Never heard about the busa being prone to headshake - most stable bike I've ever ridden. You think these things have headshake then go ride a CBR954RR sometime.
wow.gif

(the grinch @ May 28 2007,01:15) tank slappers were an issue with the bike when it was designed, that is why they put the cap over the top clamp,suzuki doesn't want you to lower the front end and make the problem worse
Please cite a source for that bit of information.

Thanks for all your info guys.. We are going to pull the front wheel and have the wheel and tire checked..We lowered it 1 inch in the front and 1 3/4 in the rear and work our way all the way back to stock..We figured it had to be a wheel issue seeing i cand find alot of info of people having the same issue..I'll post the results of what I find to help anyone else that comes across the same problem..Thanks again

Good evening. I hope you have found and solved your problem. If not, use string lines to verify that the front/rear wheel alignment is correct. I'll guess that the rear axle is a little forward or back on one side.The string lines should be paralell with the front wheel, and the front wheel should be centered between the string lines. If you can visualize whats actually taking place you can see how this leads to head shaking if not correct. Good luck.

(Turbo-Torch @ May 28 2007,09:41)
(the grinch @ May 28 2007,01:15) tank slappers were an issue with the bike when it was designed, that is why they put the cap over the top clamp,suzuki doesn't want you to lower the front end and make the problem worse
Please cite a source for that bit of information.
No joke.
I've been around Hayabusas for nearly 9 years now and that's the first I've heard.
smileyexhibit.gif

Back