Hayabusa with GPS...

Zoo

Registered
I just mounted my Garmin IQue 3600 GPS to my bike. What do you all think? I made a custom mount for about $5 with some common parts from the hardware store. I added a 12v power connecter (don't know the offical name) that sits flush so it does not look bad. Anyways I would like some opinions and if anyone likes this my sister sells them (sorry for the plug) and her website is www.jollyannsales.com and look for IQue3600. Let me know if you like and I can also instruct how to make the mount and see if my sister can put together a package for the IQue.
Here is a pic...
Tim

busa_gps.jpg

Looks very nice. You may want to picth it a few digrees so you can read the tach at high RPM's.

yeah you can adjust the pitch. Actually when you are riding it you can see the whole TAC and speedometer...

Looks cool. I considered doing the same. I made a similar mount that press fits into the hole in the steering race. I can velcro my Chatterbox to it, or I can put the screw off an old tripod onto it, and mount my camcorder. With a wide angle lens, you can see the guages. Problem is, my camcoder is old, and doesn't have image stabilization, so the picture sucks. I'll get one of the newer ones once the money tree gets a little taller. I'll go put some miracle grow on it now....

not too much I would say for the whole setup 450-600 depending on the accessories
but keep in mind that the IQue is also a palm and has palm OS on it. It gives voice direction and you can look up almost anything i.e. gas stations hotels food etc.. and it will route you too it..
If that is too much in price I know there are just gps's that work the same without the Palm functionality...

the mount is part of the auto nav kit... i used that and a few hardware tools (less than $5) to mount it to the bike in the hole of the what do you call it??? steering column

Nice set up. Just curious, is the IQue water proof/resistant?

I went ahead and bought the Garmin 2160. I thought about the IQue, but since I already have a Palm that I never use now, didn't seem to be a reason to get another one. The 2160 costs a lot more, but with a 2 Gig Compact Flash card I can put the whole US City Navigator map in it.

Zoo:

Thanks so much for posting this! I've been doing all the research I can on the Garmin 3600, trying to see if it's worth the expense (I'd like to replace my Palm too).

Please let me (us) know how it holds up and if it gives you all the "standard" GPS info (Top Speed, AVG Speed, Distance Traveled, etc...).

BTW: Does your sister also offer the European map software? All the places here in Europe want HUGE money for the 3600
sad.gif

Thanks for any more info!

I have not had any problems with vibration. I also set this up on a friends bike that is a BMW 1200 LT and she is very happy with hers. Yes you can get European maps.
Send my brother in law or sister an email. sales@jollyannsales.com tell them their brother sent you to them... My name is tim...
If you need help on a mount I can help you build one for about 5 bucks in parts from a hardware store.

Yes it gives all the standard GPS stuff... speed elevation etc... you can plot points save waypoints look up shopping food etc... you can save your tracks all the good stuff... I must admit that you have to be pretty good with palm and computers to use this... This is not something i would buy for my parents if you know what I mean.. feel free to send me an email with questions and I can take pictures of the ique screens for you also... I would recommend looking at all brands and look at all the reviews before making a choice.
zoo@zoosplace.com

I'll take some pictures when I get home. It's too hard to explain with words only...

Yes you can get European maps.  
Send my brother in law or sister an email.  sales@jollyannsales.com  tell them their brother sent you to them...  My name is tim...
If you need help on a mount I can help you build one for about 5 bucks in parts from a hardware store.
Rockin - Thanks Tim!

I just sent them a mail and dropped your name like a repeat offender - hope everything works out. As for the mount, I'd really appreciate the help, as the Home Depot here is slightly different than the one there...

Thanks!

hey all sorry i have been real busy as of late... i promise to take pictures tonight and give some advice on how to make an easy sturdy mount....

Parts:
1 - flanged screw in insert nut (picture 4)
2 – stainless steel oval head screws (picture 6)
1 – sharpie pen cap (picture 6)
1 – small bottle of superglue
1 – roll of electricians tape

Tools:
Drill with drill bit
Dremmel tool

When you buy the IQue you have an option to buy the auto nav kit mount.
It is displayed in picture 1.
The base is a bean bag mount with anti skid material on the bottom. The power connection is a 12v cigar type with a speaker attached.
Picture 2 is without the bean bag mount.
As you can see in picture 3 it is fully adjustable and you can take the bottom swivel off.
Picture 4 is the screw insert.
On the bottom swivel piece drill a hole the diameter of the stainless steel screw. See picture 5.
Now using the same drill bit drill a hole through the closed end of the sharpie pen cap. Then wedge the screw insert from picture 4 into the open non drilled end of the pen cap.
Take your stainless steel screws and cut them to size.
As you can see in picture 6 you will be screwing the longer one from the bottom where you drilled the hole in the pen cap. This will secure the screw insert.
You might want to use some superglue on the threads to secure it in place.
The screw most visible in picture 6 will be used to secure the swivel piece to the pen cap.
You can see the assembly in picture 7.
You can use some electricians tape on the pen cap to give it added resistance when inserting in the hole of the steering column.
In picture 8 it shows the full assembly.
Picture 10 shows it mounted on the bike (hayabusa)
Picture 9 is the 12v cigar type power. I choose to do this on the right side because I could tap into the power feeds below the fuse box. Make sure you add a fuse to prevent a power spike to the IQue.
Pictures 11 and 12 show it mounted on a BMW touring bike. As you can see I did not have to use a mount like the busa. Garmin makes another base mount that does not have the beanbag on it.

If you are all wondering if the sharpie pen cap works good I'll tell you it does. It does not rattle and is stable. Had it up over 150 and it held on with no issues. I tried other ideas but they did not work and this is the cheapest way. And it looks professional too. Once its mounted you can not see the pen cap at all...

Hope this helps. If you want more description or pictures please ask or send an email to zoo@zoosplace.com .

Tim

gps_mount.jpg

Back