GPS stem stand mount

The Oracle

Registered
I have the E-trex Vista for climbing and all... Well, I figured why not use it on the bike. So, I ordered the stem stand and the Garmin "Marine Mount System." I didn't want to use the stem stand velcro, because the back of the GPS is ridged and I wanted a safer solution. Plus, the marine mount has a quick release system.

Anyway, here is a pic of the tools necessary... I drilled three holes so the marine mount would connect directly to the stem stand. I used 8/32 screws that were 1/2" long and some thread locker to keep them on through vibrations.

tools.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the stand inplace without GPS mounted yet. The marine mount came with a new battery back which includes the quick release part. You can see the new back on the GPS to the right of the tank on top of the fairing.

stand.jpg

Here is a view of it in place. I still have plenty of "tuck" room.

side.jpg

Here is my view from the captain's seat. As you can see, I can still easily see all instrumentation, etc.

seat.jpg

Very neat job, can you pull the stem stand out of the hole easily and at will ?
Thanks!

Yeah, it is pretty easy to remove. I have heard of guys having trouble with it... Perhaps that is because they left it in for a whole season or something. I plan to keep it out except when going on trips where a GPS is necessary.

I've got a stem stand also.. never tried to take it out.. so i dunno if it would be hard or not.

I started to do what you've done by mouting my Garmin V's mount directly to the stand like that.. but I tried the velcro and it never even wiggles.. road tested to 170mph.. plus I put a piece of velcro on my cell and stick it on there too... the V is shaped quite a bit differently though..

I also bought a extra car plug in for it and cut the lighter adapter off and connected it straight to the battery.. maybe should have installed a switch for it.. but I've never leave the GPS on the bike even if I'm just going into a restuarant or whatever.. way to easy to steal.. and far too expensive to replace easily.... that has the added bonus of never forgetting to turn it off and draining the battery...

I use a stem stand for my radar laser and run the GPS on a phone (button to clip) belt clip with a safty tie just in case. It never moved yet.  It also moves on the clip 360 degrees, so it can go parralle to the tree when not in use.  

Oracle You did a very nice job on yours.

<!--EDIT|Ninja Eater
Reason for Edit: None given...|1075078097 -->

gauges.jpg

I use a stem stand for my radar laser and run the GPS on a phone (button to clip) belt clip with a safty tie just in case. It never moved yet.  It also moves on the clip 360 degrees, so it can go parralle to the tree when not in use.  

Oracle  You did a very nice job on yours.
Thanks Mike. It is always nice to get a compliment from you... I know I must be doing something right!

( :

Is yer weather warming up any yet? It is fairly nice here in MD... FINALLY! And, I got a nice LONG ride in on Sunday with da boyz.

Hope all is COo.oOL,
Vaughn

Back