Hayabusa v. CBR XX1100

VFRGuy008

Registered
Okay...I know this is most likely an old topic among the Hayabusa riders, but I'm coming from many years of riding an ever-so-faithful 98 Honda VFR800 as a daily commuter. I like the linked brakes on the VFR, but I don't have much experience without them (and what little time I did ride a bike with a traditionally set-up braking system was on a 500cc Silver Wing). I eventually want to move up to a larger displacement bike, hence my interest in the Suzuki and the Honda. What is the opinion of the members? Linked brakes or traditional set-up? Why? Does anyone have even an occasional lock-up of rear wheel on your 'Busas? I've locked up the rear wheel once in several years of riding (outside of MSF school, of course). If it's not a commop thing, I might go the Suzuki way and not Ride Red (I imagine the fuel economy is a bit better on the Suzuki, too). Help me out!

All I can tell you is that I had linked brakes on my CBR 1000, and I didn't notice a difference going to the Hayabusa....at least not in the brakes. But everything else improved a hell of a lot....specially the handling.

Here's a link to another thread where this came up...  

I personally do not like link brakes at all, when riding hard I found them to really get in the way and muck things up.  But, there are folks out there that like them.

FWIW, my own riding style completely ignores the rear brake because when braking hard or in a panic braking situation the rear has so little weight on it that all it does is lock up.  Assuming it is even touching the ground.  I use the rear for station keeping mostly.  But when I am out in the twisties I rarely if ever touch the rear brake, I may occasionally if I get into something a little to fast drag the rear brake a little but about 99% of time I don't need a rear.

Linked brakes activate Front and rear ALL the time. Which
means sometimes you get more braking than you need. During
slow speed (parking lots etc) this could cause you to dump
the Busa. In higher speed riding it could be as innoculous
as slowing too much. In an emergency it could throw off the
handling of the bike. Which could lead to the bike going
down.
Linked brakes are primarily for beginners or those with limited
experience using both sets of brakes. Many crusier riders
never use the front brake. (they believe its dangerous)
On a sport/sporty bike anywhere from 70 to 100% of your maximum
braking comes from the front. Learn how to use BOTH brakes.
On the Busa I find easing on the rear brake just before I
hit the fronts seems to suck the whole bike down. I am talking
light rear mere moments before front. I hope this helps.

I have ridden both linked and standard front and rear brakes. As has already been said, sometimes you get more brakes than you need with linked brakes. To me, there was no huge difference in the braking performance during normal riding conditions. Personally, I like the standard braking system better, because there are times when you just want the front or the rear. For example, (and I'm not a pro), there are occasions when you're in the twisties and you need to slide the rear wheel, naturally you would only use the rear brake. Any how, if you decide on the Busa just remember that its a beast that will always give you a smooth comfortable ride in town or on the freeway. It will also go from 16 mph 180 mph plus in a matter of seconds and all the while in 6th gear. A very incredable motorcycle, just be prepared for the full on power.

I looked at the 2 machines during purchase time and the linked brakes wasn't a factor. I wanted the sportier more extreme of the two machines which of course is the Busa. If you want a more "cushioned" bike for longer rides then the BlackBird is your choice not to mention the admittedly better reliability of the Honda.

not to mention the admittedly better reliability of the Honda.
Talk like that'll get you banned, Bandit! :D

No offense to the ladies, but I think linked brakes are for girls.  It's just an expression, ladies.  Anyway, I don't think linked brakes belong on bikes... I prefer having the control left up to me.. it's why I prefer Unix over Windows, manual cameras over fully automatic, and std brakes over linked... that's my opinion... it's all about control in critical situations.

VFRGuy008,

I came straight from a '98 VFR800 to my Busa. I loved that Honda. In fact it is fair to say I learned most of my riding skills on it -- with its linked brakes. I didn't find the transition from one bike to another to be troublesome. And I certainly don't think that the Busa's lack of linked brakes should be a mark against it.

When I was riding the VFR I almost never bothered with the rear brake pedal. I figured I was getting plenty of rear brake by using the front lever. And since most of the braking power comes from the front wheel, I wanted most of my braking system force directed up there. So I was a lever man. ;)

I think that is the main reason that I didn't notice much change in braking from the VFR to the Busa. Since I used mostly the front brake then and now.

Here is where it does get different. Low speed manuvering. On the Busa I can lightly use the rear brake alone to guide the bike through low speed turns, like in parking lots. It is much more stable this way than with the front brakes. The VFR allows you to use the rear pedal to send most of the braking force to the rear, but not all -- and that little bit of front braking makes all the difference. Which is the main reason I prefer the non-linked brakes of the Busa.

Sure there are other advantages as well, like trail braking in the twisties. But I don't have the skills for that to matter much to me with either bike. But if it did, I'd prefer the control of non-linked brakes too. Which is a mark against the Blackbird for me.

As to locking up the rear. I never did it on the VFR. But then I didn't intentionally use the rear brake often. I have locked up the rear on the Busa a couple of times. No big deal. I felt it right away and got off that brake. No muss, no fuss. I don't think that the non-linked rear on the Busa is particularly prone to locking -- so long as it is used only as a suppliment to the front. (Which is its job.)

Personally I see nothing wrong with linked brakes. For most riders it is just one less thing to worry about. But if you want a touch more control in parking lots and the high speed twisties, then non-linked is the way to go.

Just my two cents.... Its kind of like the old hydraulic clutch vs. cable. I think alot of it depends on what your familar with. Either way you go its still just used to operate the brakes! Having riden both styles I don't see a problem with either. I don't recommend hitting the twisties and learning the complete opposite system! As far as locking the rear up on a Busa, only once.... Personally, I think the linked brake system was a Honda seperator feature! (any feature that helps seperate You from Your money!)......................

Thanks for all the posts...

I use both brakes all the time, even though the front and rears are linked (only a portion of the brakes is used with the pull of the lever or press of the pedal; you gotta use both to get the full power of either brake, which is the biggest complaint of opponents of the linked brake system).

I also think that rear-wheel lock up IS a big deal, especially in an emergency stop situation, but you guys seem to indicate that the 'Busa is not lock-up prone. That's a big plus to an experienced rider and a daily motorcycle commuter.

What I don't like seeing is the people who STILL insist on not using both brakes (outside of rear wheel dragging in the twisties, track, etc.). USE BOTH! I guess, in the parking lot or on an incline at a stop, the rear is less "grabby" or preferable to use, but they gotta be used together normally. Or is the MSF curriculum outdated?

I value everyone's imput on the matter, though, and encourage eveyone to ride safe as they have come to learn safe means.

Linked brakes activate Front and rear ALL the time. Which
means sometimes you get more braking than you need. During
slow speed (parking lots etc) this could cause you to dump
the Busa. In higher speed riding it could be as innoculous
as slowing too much. In an emergency it could throw off the
handling of the bike. Which could lead to the bike going
down.
Linked brakes are primarily for beginners or those with limited
experience using both sets of brakes. Many crusier riders
never use the front brake. (they believe its dangerous)
On a sport/sporty bike anywhere from 70 to 100% of your maximum
braking comes from the front. Learn how to use BOTH brakes.
On the Busa I find easing on the rear brake just before I
hit the fronts seems to suck the whole bike down. I am talking
light rear mere moments before front. I hope this helps.
Just thought I'd add this: Some of the pro's use the front and rear separately to adjust the attitude of the bike for cornering. Stepping on the rear lightly before squeezing the front will tend to reduce front end dive, and that will help keep your bike stable when turning in.
I can read the theories, I just haven't mastered them in practice yet...

I didn't notice a big diff on linked brakes , but only rode them once .

Hayabusa all the way!
smile.gif

Hopefully Honda has done their homework developing linked brakes.I have not tried them myself,but unlike a car,bikes need to have individual brakes for certain situations.

My last bike was a 97 CBR1100XX. The only thing that bothered me about the linked brakes was not being able to do a smokey burnout by holding the front brake. I never had a problem in parking lots iwth the linked brakes either. I really don't see how you could. My XX brakes did seem more powerful than those on the Busa though. All that being said, I prefer separate brakes front and rear, but it wasn't a deciding factor in buying a new Busa over a new XX. The main thing for me was the adjustable suspension on the Busa. The XX has zero adjustability with the front forks.

Okay...I know this is most likely an old topic among the Hayabusa riders, but I'm coming from many years of riding an ever-so-faithful 98 Honda VFR800 as a daily commuter. I like the linked brakes on the VFR, but I don't have much experience without them (and what little time I did ride a bike with a traditionally set-up braking system was on a 500cc Silver Wing). I eventually want to move up to a larger displacement bike, hence my interest in the Suzuki and the Honda. What is the opinion of the members? Linked brakes or traditional set-up? Why? Does anyone have even an occasional lock-up of rear wheel on your 'Busas? I've locked up the rear wheel once in several years of riding (outside of MSF school, of course). If it's not a commop thing, I might go the Suzuki way and not Ride Red (I imagine the fuel economy is a bit better on the Suzuki, too). Help me out!
Hi the I have a 2004 hayabusa it currently has 19600 km on the clock I have owned it for about 3 months and I find that the brakes are exceptional and
work well I just dont apply too much pressure on the rear brake pedal. I use it
Mainly to drag the bike before corners and when slowing down. I tend to use
a method of 70 / 30 meaning 70 % front leaver pressure and 30% rear pedal
pressure all depending on speed and the urgency on your stopping needs at
the time. Also because of the lean that you have on the bike which is a
forward position you have less weight going to the rear when braking as a
result you need the correct pressure on the rear brake pedal to put you in a
safe stopping mode.....well I hope I explained it reasonably well hope it gets
you on a hayabusa real soon you'll love it..... Ohh and the fuel economy is good about 6 liters per 100km as they claim some times 7 or a tad more according to the read out on the dash that the hayabusas have . new ones claim that the use 9 liters per 100 km I read the the new 2011 model has 8
injectors yes 8 not 4 .....:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Hi the I have a 2004 hayabusa it currently has 19600 km on the clock I have owned it for about 3 months and I find that the brakes are exceptional and
work well I just dont apply too much pressure on the rear brake pedal. I use it
Mainly to drag the bike before corners and when slowing down. I tend to use
a method of 70 / 30 meaning 70 % front leaver pressure and 30% rear pedal
pressure all depending on speed and the urgency on your stopping needs at
the time. Also because of the lean that you have on the bike which is a
forward position you have less weight going to the rear when braking as a
result you need the correct pressure on the rear brake pedal to put you in a
safe stopping mode.....well I hope I explained it reasonably well hope it gets
you on a hayabusa real soon you'll love it..... Ohh and the fuel economy is good about 6 liters per 100km as they claim some times 7 or a tad more according to the read out on the dash that the hayabusas have . new ones claim that the use 9 liters per 100 km I read the the new 2011 model has 8
injectors yes 8 not 4 .....:thumbsup:

:welcome: This is a pretty old thread more relevent and up to date threads on the topic...

again :welcome:

feel free to introduce yourself in the new owners section

:laugh: I was looking at some of the names posting and checked the date. :laugh:

OP hasn't posted since '07

Back