Hayabusa Gen 1 2000, 2 & 3 Cylinders Not Firing, Losing Coolant, Original Problem Is Back.

Update time:-
After finding 2 very helpful and well experienced guys (Dave smith and Ray Debben), who are happy to share they're experience and knowledge, we have narrowed the search down to a (possible) stretched timing chain, given the history and mileage on my bike, it certainly won't do any harm to fit a new one and something else that can be eliminated.
My cam timing has never lined up properly with the book timing marks, I had my exhaust no. 1 arrow pointing higher than the book (see pic) giving me 160psi on compression tests but after talking to Dave and setting my cams 1 tooth clockwise (see pic) I get 175psi per cylinder but on cranking, am getting kick back in the engine and a nasty metallic sound.
New chain is ordered, hopefully on Tuesday, another update, need some good news.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpg

How would that cause an intermittent problem like yours (and mine)? The chain won't unstretch itself occasionally.

I'm glad you keep investigating. I sure hope you will find out what's wrong

The cause of our two problems, is probably different, unless we have similar maintenance history and mileage.
I think tests that I did in the past, like measuring my fuel pump output and timing chain wear, were wrong, which caused me to rule out actual problems and make me go down unrelated paths, wild goose chases basically.
Because of this I have created more problems than I've solved.
It's been a huge learning curve for me but now I think I've found the issue that has always given me rough running.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, that's for sure.
I hope my new chain will arrive tomorrow, it will take me a couple of hours to build it up and then hopefully I can post a successful update, for a change lol.

This is the easy test I did to check for chain wear, wish I'd thought of it ages ago, would've saved me so much time and frustration.

This is the easy test I did to check for chain wear, wish I'd thought of it ages ago, would've saved me so much time and frustration.

Glad it could get narrowed down been watching all your post thinking coming someone has to have a good idea what is going on here. The plus is you'll get it back together fast you have done it so many times now.

I was beginning to think that I was talking to myself, on my threads, I could see the bush weed blowing past.
I've tied myselth in knots, chasing the constant problems on the bike but I'd say that many of the tests I've done have been useful and have helped me (and others I hope) along the way.
This bike has turned into a mission but Ive never given up the worst thing would be to get rid of it before solving the problem/s.
Hope to have some good news soon.

I can't read your pressure gauge. Does it say 30 psi?

I've seen many bikes drop fuel pressure under load on the dyno, bad fuel pump.

It reads just over 40psi and with the new pump, there is no loss in pressure, when the bike is revved up, which is what I'd expect from a fully functioning and efficient fuel supply.

Back