2000 ry hayabusa only running on 2 cyilinders and rattle after headgasket rebuild

David Offor

Registered
I'm new here but not to busas or mechanical work.
I've got a problem with my 2000 RY. It overheated, blowing the headgasket after buying the bike.
I stripped it out, changed the rings at the same time, head and barrel section skimmed (.08 taken off head), bores honed correctly for the surface material, valve clearances checked and within tolerance after lapping in process, resembled counting 15 pins on timing chain between vertical teeth on inlet and exhaust cam shafts, tentioner is ok and at TDC on crank mark. Run up, sounds very rattly and is only running effectively on 1 + 2 cylinders, swapped coils, and injestors around, also new set of plugs, compressions are all at 175psi while holding the throttle open. I'm a little confused after eliminating coil, plug and injection possible failures, also its not pressuring, no milky oil, I dropped the oil to make sure nothing had broken inside the crankcases, also connected vacuum gauges to check for out of balance throttle bodies.
could it be ecu related, possible bad signal to 3 + 4 injectors, stored error codes in ecu?
Thank you for any suggestions. Dave.

Sounds like the timing is off! Thats where i would start, dont keep running it,

Check and re check every thing

Yes, I'm thinking timing too, the diagrammes leave room for mistake when you move the crank in relation to the cam shafts but I don't understand why it would (seem) to run fine on 1 and 2 but virtually nothing on the other two, even if the head gasket was blown it would still fire and run on all four.
Thank you for the advice, the forum was a last resort and my local motorcycle shop doesn't seem to have time for my problems.

sounds a lot like timing to me as well or possibly you have plug wires wrong.

It's fixed, it was a tooth on each camshaft over to the right too much, all running fine now but still odd why it would run fine on two and virtually nothing on the other two the rattle must have been the valves kissing the Pistons :( but seems to have survived.
Hope this is my last woe for a while :).
Thanks again. Dave.

I spoke too soon.
The bike is running much better but still a light rattle when the throttle is flicked from tick over.
Timing chain?

Back