Hayabusa doesnt like to lean. Wants to stay upright? Is this normal

terryturbo37

Registered
Hi so I've just bought a gen 1 hayabusa. I've always rode sports bikes. R1, GSXR 1000S etc. Now this hayabusa doesnt like to lean or turn corners. It's like it wants to be upright all the time. Like a force keeping it up lol. Is this normal

Hi so I've just bought a gen 1 hayabusa. I've always rode sports bikes. R1, GSXR 1000S etc. Now this hayabusa doesnt like to lean or turn corners. It's like it wants to be upright all the time. Like a force keeping it up lol. Is this normal

What model tires are they? Perhaps someone here has experience with them.

Are the tires worn heavily in the middle and flattened from large numbers of straight miles?

When was the last maintenance on the fork? Smooth operation there is critical for turning performance.

Counter steer a tad more and pull her down. She’s a tad heavier than the liter bikes. Trust when we say, she will go down. Once you get used to the weight she will do what ever you want. Slap the fat girl into submission lol

Edit: also, as was said, tire psi, are they good tires? Is the bike lowered? Stretched? Are you riding it like a Harley?

Got pie?

Last edited:
front 1/2" down
and
rear 1 1/4" up

plus a superbike bar

plus
a
5.5 x17" rim comb. with 180/55 tire
or
a 190/55 at the 6x17 rim

then the gen1 seems to sense that you want to go into a curve,

this is how incredibly agile it becomes with the changes mentioned above.

just a minimal impulse on the handlebars and the busa starts leaning .

I personally know exactly what I'm talking about,
because I pimped my '00 just like that. :rolleyes: :D

Proof that a Hayabusa can lean. :thumbsup:

13-3500-Dsc00172.jpg

DSC00190.jpg

DSC_0099.jpg

DSCN1196.jpg

918_Pict0354_1200.jpg

1024_Gopr0050.jpg

GOPR1522.jpg

knee-drag-hayabusa.jpg

:thumbsup:

I vividly recall the difference in turn-in effort between an almost done set of tires (with inevitable flat spot in the middle from street riding) and a new set of rubbers. Literally, day and night. With the new ones, the bike literally falls into turns.

Another factor at play - with the Busa, you are trying to rotate a bigger mass, and that's not gonna change. Apply more counter steering effort during turn-in.

Another thought - could there be something which resists your counter steering effort? Binding steering head? Steering damper with too thick oil? The only way to find out is to put her on the front stand, and try to turn handlebars left-right-left, etc. See if there is too much resistance.

I can't speak for the Gen1 or 2 but my Gen3 feels every bit as nimble compared to my ZX10. I also went with a slightly taller (200/55) rear tire which makes it steer even quicker. For me the big difference between a liter class sport bike like my ZX10 and the busa are brakes and suspension. As far as turn in and lean angle the busa should be plenty nimble. Check out your setup as others have commented, tires, sag lots of people like to lower and stretch busa 's which can make it feel like you describe.

I can't speak for the Gen1 or 2 but my Gen3 feels every bit as nimble compared to my ZX10. I also went with a slightly taller (200/55) rear tire which makes it steer even quicker. For me the big difference between a liter class sport bike like my ZX10 and the busa are brakes and suspension. As far as turn in and lean angle the busa should be plenty nimble. Check out your setup as others have commented, tires, sag lots of people like to lower and stretch busa 's which can make it feel like you describe.

I havn't ridden a Gen3 yet, but you say the same as alot members here, about how well it handles.
It's also said that it handles much better and feels lighter than a Gen1 or Gen2 from members who had/have both, and I belive it.
I have ridden many Gen1's and Gen2's, and they can be set to handle really well.
Of course they are heavy bikes, and you can definately tell it is night and day from any 1000(which I've also ridden many brands and gens).
I never had any probelm making a Gen 1 or 2 do whatever I wanted it to, nor did I ever have a 1000k walk away in the twisties(we know, alot of variables there), but the weight difference and added wheelbase are very apparent, as the handling feels slower with the weight, but, it also makes the ride feel very forgiving, in terms of a little easier to control over a rough section in the road, vs a 1000, which will dance around much more as they are so much lighter and shorter.
I put 7w oil in my Gen2 forks with stock valving, and it made the forks perform very well with me at 193-195 lbs in gear.
The stock 5w fork oil made the front end feel very flimsy to me, and even though it stuck and tracked good, it felt as if the controls where rubber mounter, a very mushy and muted feel.
The 7w solved that.
And, with all that said,
The Gen1 and Gen2 are some of the Worst bikes to try and ride on a bad suspension setup.
Their weight really shows negatively then, and the front end will steer like it has a 200 tire on it, lol
As much as you travel, you need to stop and try out a Gen1 or Gen2 somewhere, as stock as possible(suspension and brake wise), if I still had one you could take it out and see what you thought of it(but, that offers stands for all of my bikes if you ever pass through Va).
As far as the O.P's bike goes, if the maintenance, chain tension, and suspension are set correct, or resprung/revalved if nesacery, and at stock wheelbase and ride height, we know the Gen1 and Gen2 can handle very well.
It's as if you have to give them a nudge in the direction you want it to go, but it otherwise is as easy to ride as any 1000, and usually smoother on the street.

I havn't ridden a Gen3 yet, but you say the same as alot members here, about how well it handles.
It's also said that it handles much better and feels lighter than a Gen1 or Gen2 from members who had/have both, and I belive it.
I have ridden many Gen1's and Gen2's, and they can be set to handle really well.
Of course they are heavy bikes, and you can definately tell it is night and day from any 1000(which I've also ridden many brands and gens).
I never had any probelm making a Gen 1 or 2 do whatever I wanted it to, nor did I ever have a 1000k walk away in the twisties(we know, alot of variables there), but the weight difference and added wheelbase are very apparent, as the handling feels slower with the weight, but, it also makes the ride feel very forgiving, in terms of a little easier to control over a rough section in the road, vs a 1000, which will dance around much more as they are so much lighter and shorter.
I put 7w oil in my Gen2 forks with stock valving, and it made the forks perform very well with me at 193-195 lbs in gear.
The stock 5w fork oil made the front end feel very flimsy to me, and even though it stuck and tracked good, it felt as if the controls where rubber mounter, a very mushy and muted feel.
The 7w solved that.
And, with all that said,
The Gen1 and Gen2 are some of the Worst bikes to try and ride on a bad suspension setup.
Their weight really shows negatively then, and the front end will steer like it has a 200 tire on it, lol
As much as you travel, you need to stop and try out a Gen1 or Gen2 somewhere, as stock as possible(suspension and brake wise), if I still had one you could take it out and see what you thought of it(but, that offers stands for all of my bikes if you ever pass through Va).
As far as the O.P's bike goes, if the maintenance, chain tension, and suspension are set correct, or resprung/revalved if nesacery, and at stock wheelbase and ride height, we know the Gen1 and Gen2 can handle very well.
It's as if you have to give them a nudge in the direction you want it to go, but it otherwise is as easy to ride as any 1000, and usually smoother on the street.
Suspension setup is the key here. Problem with buying a used Gen1 now is that they get screwed with 10 ways to Sunday…slammed to the ground, stretched, unstretched, 200+ tire sizes, etc… then people buy them and make a determination that they don’t handle well in the twisties. Well, I have owned all three generations new from the store and every set of tires I’ve put on them have been worn edge to edge. It’s not a light bike but it’s balanced extremely well. You just have to muscle her from side to side at times, but extremely flickable. I opt for 55/190 tires and she’s even easier to throw around..

Totally agree.
You will be 1st to know next time I'm out that way!

The busa of any gen is a straight-line bike like the Dodge Hellcat. Yes, you can track it but maybe soft slicks would do it. A lot of newbies buy these bikes of any kind and after watching Motogp, say alright let's go for the twisties, nope, change that tire. Also, you may think about trailering that bike with soft tires as they don't last too many miles, but tires should do it for you.

Back