Hayabusa dashboard and ticking noise problem

GuyBrush

Registered
Hi!

I have a 1999 Hayabusa and it has a couple of problems I'd like to solve. First of all the engine makes a strange ticking noise while it's idling and it goes away immediately after I turn the rpm's up. I think it's coming from the right side when sitting on the bike, from the stator cover. I'm not quite sure. Also the starter motor is very hot after riding the bike so can the problem lie there?

The second problem is the dashboard. Sometimes the speedometer and the rpm-meter won't work at all and sometimes all the lights just stay on when I start the bike up. They stay on after the bike starts. The problem goes away after I disconnect my battery terminals and re-attach them and start the bike.

Any help would be very appreciated as I just got the bike and already I'm having problems with it.

Thanks in advance!

Hi!

I have a 1999 Hayabusa and it has a couple of problems I'd like to solve. First of all the engine makes a strange ticking noise while it's idling and it goes away immediately after I turn the rpm's up. I think it's coming from the right side when sitting on the bike, from the stator cover. I'm not quite sure. Also the starter motor is very hot after riding the bike so can the problem lie there?

I think its the stator that makes the ticking noise and its normal that the starter motor becomes hot coz its connected to the motor it self it absorbs the heat that motor emits.

The second problem is the dashboard. Sometimes the speedometer and the rpm-meter won't work at all and sometimes all the lights just stay on when I start the bike up. They stay on after the bike starts. The problem goes away after I disconnect my battery terminals and re-attach them and start the bike.

It could be a lose connection somewhere. Any error code?

Any help would be very appreciated as I just got the bike and already I'm having problems with it.

Thanks in advance!

Check above, welcome to the forum.

Welcome. The first thing I would check for the gauge cluster is loose/dirty connections and bad grounds. Do you have HID head lamps? The ballasts will cause all kinds of issues if the are too close to the gauges.

I have no clue on the ticking noise other to say are you sure it's not the valves ticking. Have you had them adjusted lately? How many miles are on your bike?

Welcome. The first thing I would check for the gauge cluster is loose/dirty connections and bad grounds. Do you have HID head lamps? The ballasts will cause all kinds of issues if the are too close to the gauges.

I have no clue on the ticking noise other to say are you sure it's not the valves ticking. Have you had them adjusted lately? How many miles are on your bike?

I guess I'll be checking the connections next as I don't have HID lamps. Valves have been adjusted last summer and should be fine. The noise is quite strange as it only comes when the bike is idling.

You know until I read your post I had not paid it any attention. When my bike is cold and I crank it , there's a tick in the top end. After a minute or so it usually stops. Probably just the top end needing some good warm lubrication :dunno:

Back