hard acceleration in 2nd gear, engine to idle

PHIL442

Registered
I bought a 2005 Busa in mid December. The bike had about 600 original miles on it, lots of chrome upgrades and paint work, but mechanically stock. I've put about 200 easy miles on it, as it is still in a break in mode. Last time out, I was in 2nd gear and tried a full throttle acceleration, at about 6500-7000 rpm the engine went to idle, no sputtering, no jerking, just right back to idle. I was able to continue with normal throttle control after that. I tried it one more time later in the ride, and it did the exact same thing. The bike has been running perfectly otherwise. I know the manual says not exceed 8000 rpm until the bike has 1000 miles on it, which I was not planning on exceeding. Any thoughts on this scenario. Thanks.

Sounds like the throttle position sensor maybe... the bike might think it's hitting redline to soon... Just an idea, hope it works out.

It slipped out of gear, most likely. Try to more positively shift into 2nd gear, otherwise you have the dreaded 2nd gear problem that will require the trans to be gone through.

Even if he misses a gear while shifting I don't think the bike will go to neutral...the engine would be screaming...as in I missed the gear and now the engine sounds like it wants to explode type of episode...good luck..might need to get a professional on this...by the way ...welcome to the .org...and please post up whatever you find out about your problem...sucks that you have one of the best bikes on the planet, new, and you can't enjoy it...hang in there...get her fixed and you'll never regret it...I would also talk to the seller about what the heck is going on here...2hip

Even if he misses a gear while shifting I don't think the bike will go to neutral...the engine would be screaming...as in I missed the gear and now the engine sounds like it wants to explode type of episode...good luck..might need to get a professional on this...by the way ...welcome to the .org...and please post up whatever you find out about your problem...sucks that you have one of the best bikes on the planet, new, and you can't enjoy it...hang in there...get her fixed and you'll never regret it...I would also talk to the seller about what the heck is going on here...2hip

If you just chop the throttle at 7k the engine can't return to idle. The only way for that situation to happen is for either the clutch to be pulled in or the trans kicked out of gear, which these bikes are known for doing in 2nd.

My bike (on ~3 occasions) has done exactly what the original poster has described, it will kick out of 2nd at WOT if I didn't shift firmly enough, and as soon as it's out of gear the engine returns to idle. It then requires a kick back into gear to resume moving forward under it's own power.

:hello:

Funny...we used to have a member named Phil96 ...very similar...we don't see him aound much anymore. :whistle:

Anywho....good luck getting your bike running as it should.

Thanks for the thoughts. To answer a few of the questions....the FI light has never come on.....other than this, the bike starts, idles and runs perfectly normal....it does not seem to be dropping out of 2nd gear, after it does its reset to idle thing, I am still in gear and just go right back to normal driving and throttle control.....I have never had the bike above 8000 rpm, because it does not have 1000 miles on it yet (as per the break in requirements). So it could be some kind of rev limiter trying to enforce the break in schedule? I'll keep everyone posted on my findings. I've been a long time Goldwing rider (and still am), but this is an awesome machine, as you all well know.

If it slipped out of gear it would redline the motor, not drop to idle. Sounds like you have a problem with the FI. Much as I hate to say it, take it to the stealership......

I'll try to help, but when you say it goes to idle, does it do this out of gear. I am confused because another post says that it goes to idle, then (I'am assuming now) , you don't put it into gear again, but it just runs normal in gear again. If so, it's coming out of gear and lowering the fuel supply at the sametime. So, the engine does exactly what ? Drops to 2000 rpm in gear or out of gear. If it's in gear and it goes to 2000 from 7000 you would feel like the brakes are put on. And if your WOT your engine will go through the roof if it went into the idle mode ! So, is it always in gear or out and do you have to shift into 2nd gear again. If so, your not putting enough pressure on your up shift into 2nd, but I doubt this because it wouldn't hold a WOT to 7000 in the first place. It would slip out as soon as you went to the throttle stop :beerchug:

Back