Engine Idle adjustment

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
to adjust the engine idle....

do you have to lift the gas tank up?
do you have to take off the right side fairing?

both?
One of the above...

Or is there a way to do it without taking plastics off and lifting the tank...I don't see how to get into that area without doing one or both of the above...

my idle was pretty steady for most of the last year...but 7,000 miles in 4 months and the hot weather have conspired to require a slight adjustment. It is right at 1000 rpm....it usually is about 1150 to 1200.

I believe you just have to lift the tank up for the adjustment. No need to take of the fairing. Which reminds me, it's time to adjust my idle also.

Yep just lift the tank and you should see the screw on the right side of the bike. Phillips head screw with grooves aroung it.

After the first time, when you get familure with the location of the screw, it is posable to slide a long flat screw driver between the tank and frame and get the driver on the edge of the screw and Tap it up or down.
wink.gif

After the first time, when you get familure with the location of the screw, it is posable to slide a long flat screw driver between the tank and frame and get the driver on the edge of the screw and Tap it up or down.
wink.gif
Yes you just need a screw driver that is at least 8 inches long plus the handle.

hmmm....mine is a 99' and i adjust the idle/rpm by simply twisting the nob above the oil filler on the right side w/o removing anything. missing something here?

Back