adjust idle

kennym4

Registered
When I start my bike for like the first hour it's ideling around 900, then it idels at 1150. Should I kick it up a bit ?

I'm just starting to do minor stuff to my bike, and want to learn as much as I can. Can I adjust the idle with the plastics on ? Is it a cable that I will have to adjust ? ((lift tank, right side of bike, just under , side of airbox ?))

Thanks for your help !!

Yes you can kick it up a bit. In two ways. One requires you remove the right side plastic and adjust at the screw on the TBs. The second is, you can use your fast idle on the left handlebar (choke). It is not an enrichening circuit, it is simply an idle speed cam. I use mine to tweak my idle a little from time to time if I feel the need. I recently had an incident where my low idle caused some slight oil pressure problems. I bumped my main screw up tp 1100 and I still tweak my fast idle level when conditions need it.

i wouldnt adjust it,if after running/warming up it idles fine,just use your fast idle switch to keep idle up in the mean time

Naaaahhh...."actually, if you look between the innerpanel edge, on the right side, and the little plastic deelie on the bottom of the gas tank you'll see a small slot.  Take a little flashlight and shine it in there.  You'll see a little thumb screw.  Take a long narrow screwdriver and flip on the notches of the thumb screw.  Your idle will move up or down depending on direction.  That's how I "tweak" mine.  If all else fails, lift the tank, prop it up in place, and turn the thumb screw with your...well..uhhh....thumb."

If the idle's too low, certain noises will arise from the low idle when cold.  Mine PURRS at 1200, or just above 1100.  Idle barely comes up more than 100 rpms after getting warm.  Just nice to have it spinning roughly where Zuke designed it to.  Plus, like I said, there's a sweet spot where you can hear the engine at equilibrium.  I believe "THAT" to be where Zuke has the base idle targeted for.
super.gif

Just thoughts !!!

I am having to use my fast idle switch to start it too ? Right after it starts I can take it off, it's ALWAYS been like that, could it be simething else ?

Thanks for all the help !!

(Spudley @ Sep. 06 2007,04:55) Naaaahhh...."actually, if you look between the innerpanel edge, on the right side, and the little plastic deelie on the bottom of the gas tank you'll see a small slot.  Take a little flashlight and shine it in there.  You'll see a little thumb screw.  Take a long narrow screwdriver and flip on the notches of the thumb screw.  Your idle will move up or down depending on direction.  That's how I "tweak" mine.  If all else fails, lift the tank, prop it up in place, and turn the thumb screw with your...well..uhhh....thumb."

If the idle's too low, certain noises will arise from the low idle when cold.  Mine PURRS at 1200, or just above 1100.  Idle barely comes up more than 100 rpms after getting warm.  Just nice to have it spinning roughly where Zuke designed it to.  Plus, like I said, there's a sweet spot where you can hear the engine at equilibrium.  I believe "THAT" to be where Zuke has the base idle targeted for.
super.gif

Just thoughts !!!
Mine is the same way, you should have a prop rod under the tail, two allen head screws, prop the tank, and you will see the idle adjustment on the right side the TBs. Turn to the right to increase idle.

Corrected. Yes you can prop the tank and avoid removing the right side. As to the long screwdriver one. I tried it and personally for my 03 couldn't make it work. But I could be pretty blind and clutzy

(kennym4 @ Sep. 06 2007,04:55) I am having to use my fast idle switch to start it too ? Right after it starts I can take it off, it's ALWAYS been like that, could it be simething else ?

No this is normal. I think if you read the manual under starting procedures it tells you to use the fast idle for 30 seconds @ 2K RPM.

save yourself some trouble and you don't have to stand on your head
beerchug.gif

(TallTom @ Sep. 06 2007,05:44)
(kennym4 @ Sep. 06 2007,04:55) I am having to use my fast idle switch to start it too ? Right after it starts I can take it off, it's ALWAYS been like that, could it be simething else ?

No this is normal.  I think if you read the manual under starting procedures it tells you to use the fast idle for 30 seconds @ 2K RPM.
normal??

mine wont start if the fast idle switch is up and was told by more then a few that it shouldnt start with the switch up

whatever works I guess

(DEVLDOG @ Sep. 06 2007,09:51)
(TallTom @ Sep. 06 2007,05:44)

No this is normal.  I think if you read the manual under starting procedures it tells you to use the fast idle for 30 seconds @ 2K RPM.
normal??

mine wont start if the fast idle switch is up and was told by more then a few that it shouldnt start with the switch up

whatever works I guess
I heard that too, I also heard that you shouldn't have to use it unless it's REALLY cold out ?

Hey Kenny,
Had mine low on rpm's took tank up adjusted and put some nail polish on the turn screw...never had a problem since...keeps it from backing out which lowers rpms...

another trick (ok not really) is when you get it where you want it hit it with a drop of blue lock tite

I hear people saying "RED" or "BLUE" locktight, what's the differance ? How strong the hold is ?

sent Vman1300 a message on this item. I Guess we will see if it goes thru to him. My '07 does the same thing.

Back