The idle adjustments on gen 1

D_phi_D

Registered
Hello org.
I have been reading ans searching and reading and searching....found massive info on idle adjustments.
But I think I've read so much that I confused myself now..llol
So my question is...
Do I adjust the fast idle rpm ( the choke) AND the fine tune idle (idle of engine at stand still) with the same adjusting screw?

I know the the fast idle(choke) suppose to be at 3500 and the bike at stand still is suppose to be at 1250.
But how do I adjust both?

I have read that the adjusting screw is on the left side of the TB. As well as reading it is on the right side of the TB

SO NOW IM CONFUSED...I have the book and it show the right but I hear respected folk in here saying it is on the left...
So will someone please tell me so I can adjust it....cause now I have a 2002 and my rpm when sitting is at about 800-900 and sometimes cuts off when coming to a stop when riding....
I'm about to clean my K&N air filter but want to fix the idle tomorrow.
So any info will be warranted

Thanks

Deephi

You can adjust the idle with a long screwdriver, under the rear of the tank and front of seat between fairings, and it's on the throttle side of the bike(right side when sitting on it). Nothing needs to be removed to access it either.

Adjusting the idle will not adjust the fast idle, they are on opposite sides of the throttle bodies. The idle is on the right(throttle side) and the fast idle is on the left(clutch side). If you find you are adjusting on a regular basis, lift the tank, adjust and apply a little thread lock on the adjustment screw.

OK thanks for all the info..
now I looked at the manual that dadofthree sent and again I c where it said adjust the fast idle is on right also...again am I reading this thing wrong?
Twotonevert please show and tell me how to adjust the choke idle to 3500...I think I know how to adjust the regular idle....

Adjusting the idle will not adjust the fast idle, they are on opposite sides of the throttle bodies. The idle is on the right(throttle side) and the fast idle is on the left(clutch side). If you find you are adjusting on a regular basis, lift the tank, adjust and apply a little thread lock on the adjustment screw.

Adjust idle with engine at normal running temp. Set at 1050 to 1250rpm.
Once idle is correct you can adjust fast idle. At operating temp the fast idle lever should raise the engine rpm to 3500.
Once set, the fast idle from a cold start should have the engine idling at 2000 to 2500rpm and should be left there for about 30 seconds after starting the bike. A little longer if really cold conditions.

Just be sure when setting the fast idle that you adjust the cable as well...often lots of slack in it which will stop you getting the 3500.
I miss the fast idle/choke of the Gen 1....i used it as cruise control on motorway runs.

Just be sure when setting the fast idle that you adjust the cable as well...often lots of slack in it which will stop you getting the 3500.
I miss the fast idle/choke of the Gen 1....i used it as cruise control on motorway runs.

Not too tight though. Don't want to be setting that cruise control on tight left handers. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, there is no spec for fast idle cable freeplay. As with throttle cables (even when set to spec), check bars lock to lock after cable adjustment to make sure there is no rise in rpm at either extreme.

Not too tight though. Don't want to be setting that cruise control on tight left handers. :laugh::laugh:

Seriously though, there is no spec for fast idle cable freeplay. As with throttle cables (even when set to spec), check bars lock to lock after cable adjustment to make sure there is no rise in rpm at either extreme.
I like to leave all the slack possible in all the cable adjustments for the specific purpose of not wanting the bike to rev up on sharp turns.

I like to leave all the slack possible in all the cable adjustments for the specific purpose of not wanting the bike to rev up on sharp turns.
Its just as easy to set up the cables with full lock on the steering instead of leaving excess slack....i assumed everyone set cables in a similar way

I got tired of chasing my idle on my 02 Busa, and struggling with the long screwdriver and flashlight.

You can order the parts from a 99 Busa to have a knob as they had that year that is accessible outside the fairing by the engine clutch cover.

Yeah I just set the idle to 1250... was a easy task...
But now I'm still stuck k on the fast (choke) agjustment...help

Stop. If it runs and idles up leave it. I would always cold start with it and turn it off after a minute. Don't have to worry about it on the 08

U know maybe u r right...I was just going by what the manual said to set the specs at...but it's fine..

I'm good with it...lol

This thread was good motivation.

Been meaning to do mine for ages but never got around to it.
It's a bit low and stumbles a bit but I'm lazy and lived with it.

Just gave it a run to the shops to make sure I got some heat into it
(not just running it in the shed) and a few tweeks with a long handled
screwdriver all is sweet again.

Should have done it ages a go!
Thanks for the motivation guys.

In all the years I have owned a hayabusa I dont think I have ever used the fast idle. Its fuel injected so it has always fired up and ran smooth, even in the cold. No adjustment on my 09 so nothing to worry about there. Dont forget the thread lock if you dont want to adjust it on a regular basis. I want to say I remember having to adjust my 05 every couple of months.

Back