Hallowe'en is coming-what do people do?

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Does anyone here do some wild or fun Hallowe'en decorations?

I don't go overboard but never set up any decorations until the day of Hallowe'en so it is a bit of a surprise for my neighbor kids......I figure if they look at it each day for a month it loses something...

One year I made a big graveyard in my front yard and had my Bumblebee in the middle of it with a skeleton on board and strobe lights flashing on it....

During the pandemic I made the place up like a hazmat shelter and wore a yellow jumpsuit and respirator.....the parents loved it and the next year asked me why I didn't repeat it as they thought it was great...

Full moon rising over Va
Mr Pumpkin is in his full glory with an led light bulb.
It's ridiculous how bright he is now
lmao
I'm out in the country, 20 miles as the crow flys from a small airport with daily small jet service...I know the passengers on some of the flights, as well as alot of the military flights can see this bright orange glow in the darkness!
lmao!
A friend of mine's mom bought it at yard sale, and I gave her $10 and told her I wanted him, I hadn't seen one since I was a little kid.
That was 25 years ago, and he's been with me ever since, lol
I put him out every year...my ex-wife Hated him, lmao
My daughter is 12, so I've been Trick or Treating for the last dozen years.
It's been beautiful here the last few days, high 70's, low 80's °F during the day, low 60's at night, and through monday night.
Tuesday, Halloween, daytime highs in the 40's, low's around or below freezing
lol Yeehaw, looking like a chilly walk.
The are several blocks of 120 year old victorian style homes on both sides of the street, with several side streets, in a small town nearby.
Most all of them, and the church in the middle decorate and give out candy, it's been a thing for decades.
Hundreds of kids wipe out alot of the candy pretty early, but it's a fun walk.
I enjoy it.

20231028_200826.jpg

20231028_201058.jpg

20231028_200734.jpg

We do an annual festival called the Witches Ride. The last Friday before Halloween they close off traffic to downtown and it's a street party. And it's also breast cancer awareness month. So up until about 2 years it was a pretty racey adult themed thing. Lots of legs and cleavage. But it started getting so big and sort of "too adult" for it being a family friendly event, that the witches have been asked to tone it down some.

It brings out about 300 riders on decorated bikes. Some creative stuff.

1000000445.jpg

1000000446.jpg

1000000447.jpg

We do an annual festival called the Witches Ride. The last Friday before Halloween they close off traffic to downtown and it's a street party. And it's also breast cancer awareness month. So up until about 2 years it was a pretty racey adult themed thing. Lots of legs and cleavage. But it started getting so big and sort of "too adult" for it being a family friendly event, that the witches have been asked to tone it down some.

It brings out about 300 riders on decorated bikes. Some creative stuff.

View attachment 1672199

View attachment 1672200

View attachment 1672201
That's a cool event.....around here they'd be frozen to their bikes.....kids wear their coats under their costumes........but they still go trick or treating....

Whew, just out for a walk and talking to one of my elderly neighbors who said some kid around 10 or so had a complete melt down in his driveway because he didn't get a bag of cheezies and got a chocolate bar instead...

He said the parent who was there spent a half hour in the driveway comforting the kid in her arms rocking him back and forth like a small child......while the kid was sobbing loudly saying he wanted cheezies.....

The neighbor asked her to take her circus act somewhere else because he didn't want it happening on his property, then the lady turned on him and called him down for not being equal and fair to all the children....he said he didn't have to hand anything out if he didn't want to and then told her to get off his property....he then said I've had a hundred kids and yours is the only one to act like this so what does that tell you about your parenting skills...he said I've raised 6 kids and if one of them acted like that, they'd had a sore behind for a month....

He said he is awfully glad he is old and won't live long enough to see people like that in positions of authority...

We don't do anything and even go out for the evening and turn the lights off. We do give the kids close to us a candy bag and the older kids get Chick-fil-A gift cards. When they ask me at work why I'm not dressed, I say "I'm your worst nightmare, a woke black man". Haha, It's fun being close to retirement and basically untouchable.

My crazy neighbor started setting up his Christmas display a few weeks ago. It really is amazing to see. Not sure where he stores it all.
The amazing thing is most of those people also have just as much stuff for the “other” days. It seems like they could fill their house just with boxes of decoration for Christmas, Halloween and whatever else they celebrate. LOL

One of the senior ladies we look after has her entire house interior all decorated for Christmas and when I stopped in to check on her as I often do, she met me at the door wearing a Christmas sweater....

So I put her Christmas lights up for her because I knew if I didn't, she would attempt it and at her age falling off a ladder wouldn't be a pleasant experience...

I'm putting up Christmas lights at the other elderly lady's home tomorrow because these two talk and if I put lights up at one home, I have to do the other....

Back